Thread: Chromecast?

Default Chromecast?

Hi, we have chromecast and 2 mobile phones set up to be able to cast to it. However we have noticed if one of the phones is casting the other one automatically casts too, so it's using the power on both phones unnecessarily. How can we stop this so it only casts from the phone it was started on.

Old guy

Default Re: Chromecast?

You have a basic misunderstanding of how the Chromecast works. The phone or any other device is effectively just a remote control, once you use it to start the Chromecast your phone is nolonger involved in the process. ie if your phone is then turned off whatever you have started casting will continue to play just fine. The casting icon pops up on any other device connected to your wifi network just to let you know that the Chromecast is being used by someone on the network. No noticeable power is being used by any phone.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    You have a basic misunderstanding of how the Chromecast works. The phone or any other device is effectively just a remote control, once you use it to start the Chromecast your phone is nolonger involved in the process. ie if your phone is then turned off whatever you have started casting will continue to play just fine. The casting icon pops up on any other device connected to your wifi network just to let you know that the Chromecast is being used by someone on the network. No noticeable power is being used by any phone.
    We've had chrome for years and I've never seen the icon pop up on any other device than the one it was cast from initially, so why would this suddenly change? I can also turn it off from the phone that it was not initially cast from.

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaNZ View Post
    We've had chrome for years and I've never seen the icon pop up on any other device than the one it was cast from initially, so why would this suddenly change? I can also turn it off from the phone that it was not initially cast from.
    I have always seen the icon pop up when I have had occasion to look, certainly in the last year or so. Most likely it is now visible on all devices because of updates to the phones software. If there was no indication that someone was already casting you could get several people all trying to cast to the same device. You can also have more than one Chromecast device operating on your network at the same time. For example where you have a kids TV or maybe a boarder connected to your wifi network.
    Just for fun you can cast to a Chromecast on any wifi network you can join, very confusing for the unsuspecting TV owners and another reason to ensure your network is secure.

An update to the Chromecast fairly recently lets you disable this - in the Google Home app, open the device and turn off "Let others control your media". As CliveM said though, media will still play if your phone is disconnected so you may need to recast to the device if it drops out (Android Oreo's power saving settings can cause this).
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter