Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: We Always Close Our Blinds and Curtains in the Winter Months

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Same here, as soon as the sun goes down we usually close the curtains, helps keep any warmth in. The opposite also happens, in summer we have to close the side curtains, when the sun gets around on the large windows, middle of the afternoon, the room turns into a hot house.

Anyways, who wants some weird buggers looking inside your house at night with the lights on, curtains open.
    i'm much the same. in summer curtains left closed on some windows to keep the heat out. one day i will build a veranda to keep the summer sun out of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Close mine too. I got double glazing with tinted glass and got rid of my net curtains because I don't like them. Turns out the net curtains add a bit of extra insulation, Seems unlikely I know but it's about the air between the glass and the curtains not the material of the nets themselves.
    One of my pet peeves is the trend to take form over function, put pelmets back on your windows like the old days and use floor length curtains on all windows and your insulation improves quite a bit.
    thats something thats been happening for a long time, people making homes worse for the sake of looks.
    leaky homes because they built dry climate houses in a wet country.

people just seam to ignore good practices. is it because the public has forgotten what they where there for ?

trouble is its wheels within wheels.
    builders build what the customer wants, which is typically nice looking homes built to minimum specs which function poorly.
    but because thats 99% of their work, thats all they ever know how to do. its really difficult to get builders to build well functioning houses.
    and when people ask for advice who do they ask? the builders, who generally tell them to build minimum standard housing.
    Tweak it till it breaks

And Ruahapia/Pakowhai Rd plus Pakowhai/Expressway. All the places I go to in the school van..... Bummer, about time I chucked it in.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    builders build what the customer wants.
    Hmm, not sure thats true. Build whats common these days and to budget.

**** materials are now common...
    Ex-pctek

What consenting adults do behind drawn curtains/drapes is none of my concern
    I worked for everything I have. Most successful people have done the same thing.
    No, you aren't "entitled" to it. Too damn bad, Get it the way I did.
    WORK FOR IT.

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Hmm, not sure thats true. Build whats common these days and to budget.

you just said it, they build whats common. whats common is minimum standard.
    a customer will spend extra on nicer kitchen but you never hear them spend extra on insulation, weather proofing etc. its always build it cheaply as possible but make it look as nice as possible.

i was reading the other week of a usa company that builds affordable homes. the strange thing is their homes are more efficient, warmer, drier, more comfortable and cheaper to heat than the million dollar homes in the aera.
    the expensive homes where built to minimum standard and heaps of money spent on flash stuff. but because the people buying the affordable homes couldn't afford high running costs, they designed and spent extra time making sure the homes where a lot better.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post

btw its not always about crap materials. i have no problem with cheaper homes being built with budget materials.
    the big thing is the design but mostly how its been built. even when you have two identical designs, they can be miles apart in comfort and energy costs.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    i'm much the same. in summer curtains left closed on some windows to keep the heat out. one day i will build a veranda to keep the summer sun out of the house.

thats something thats been happening for a long time, people making homes worse for the sake of looks.
    leaky homes because they built dry climate houses in a wet country.

people just seam to ignore good practices. is it because the public has forgotten what they where there for ?

trouble is its wheels within wheels.
    builders build what the customer wants, which is typically nice looking homes built to minimum specs which function poorly.
    but because thats 99% of their work, thats all they ever know how to do. its really difficult to get builders to build well functioning houses.
    and when people ask for advice who do they ask? the builders, who generally tell them to build minimum standard housing.
    Actually builders build what architects (the ones who earn the real big bucks) design and that councils then sign off on but don't want to know about when there are issues. Sure some of it is the builders but a lot of it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Actually builders build what architects (the ones who earn the real big bucks) design and that councils then sign off on but don't want to know about when there are issues. Sure some of it is the builders but a lot of it isn't.
    quite true. but even the architects usually design what the customer wants or they go to some one else (see recent news story about that).
    builders and architects are not to blame, its really the customer who is at the center of it. but they are typically poorly informed and those in the industry typically give them poor advice, because most customers want the same thing........and around in circles we go.

theres no one in the circle that says "this is how we design and build a good house". the only standards that exist is for bare minimum housing.
    Tweak it till it breaks