Default "Partitions not in recommended order. Do you want to proceed?"

I'm reinstalling Windows and got that message. I selected Proceed and it seems to be working OK up to now

But I wouldn't like it to cause problems in the future after I've installed all my apps

So is it safe? If it were easy to change I would do it as it was quite quick getting to this point

The disc I am installing to (NVme) was previously used as a non-OS disc. Windows wouldn't install to it so I changed it to GPT using DiskPart Clean, Convert

And is it possible to avoid the Windows pin? I didn't see how
    Ryzen 7 1700 @ stock, EVO 960 500GB M.2 NVMe, G-Skill 2 x 16GB @ 2.4GHz,
    GA-AB350N-Gaming Wifi (mITX), EVGA GTX970. Media player: i7-6700k

Default Re: "Partitions not in recommended order. Do you want to proceed?"

Sounds a bit like you are installing over the top of an existing install. If the drive was wiped completely clean ( ALL partitions removed - like a new HDD) then windows will set the correct GPT and other partitions formats /Letters automatically. Same with the "pin" by default you have to have a password to use a Pin. Sometimes during upgrades the "pin" is removed and you have to use the original Password.

Forget the cmd (diskpart) while its got good uses, the easier way is to boot from some sort of partition software ( from CD /USB), wipe the drives clean ( ALL Partitions), then boot from the media (DVD or USB) starts from fresh, with nothing left to foul things up. You can also wipe the partition from within W10 install when it asks where to put it / Custom install - select and delete eash partition so you are left with allocated space only.

Re the Password - certainly can enter without a password / PIN I do it all the time. When you are setting up windows, at the point it asks to enter a email address, bottom left click on offline account, it will ask you several times "are you sure" and try to get the email but you keep refusing.

Watch this if unsure ( note this is in a VM and W10 Pro) so a couple of the options are slightly different before hand and could be why all of above doesn't show:

https://streamable.com/qtl58
    Last edited by wainuitech; 12-07-2018 at 08:40 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Thank you Wainui - a useful video. My problem is I didn't choose "offline account"! I will re-install to get that right. Might be able to correct the partition problem at the same time?

I am definitely not installing over a previous OS. I got the drive new and there's never been an OS on it (other than within WindowsImageBackup). And yes I have the correct drive. It's the only one with a capacity of 500GB

I used Clean during Windows installation but I'm not sure whether that was before or after I did the cmd DiskPart Clean and Convert from within the previous installation

Reading between the lines I might suggest that DiskPart in Windows is not entirely compatible with the Samsung 960 NvMe??

I forgot to export my Chrome favourites as an html file. Is there any way of booting into the old installation without removing the new installation M.2? The old installation is on its own 120GB SSD and I can see the Favorites folder on it

Quote Originally Posted by BBCmicro View Post
    Reading between the lines I might suggest that DiskPart in Windows is not entirely compatible with the Samsung 960 NvMe??

I forgot to export my Chrome favourites as an html file. Is there any way of booting into the old installation without removing the new installation M.2? The old installation is on its own 120GB SSD and I can see the Favorites folder on it
    1st -- Pass, possible.

2nd - Easy way with book marks (just tried it from my Lounge PC to the Office.) Make sure the hidden folders are showing, then on the Old install, from the New navigate to

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

Look for two files, bookmarks & bookmarks.BAK

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chrome_Bookmarks.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	8936

Simply Copy them, then navigate to the same folder on the New Install, paste them in, replacing any there. Open Chrome and the bookmarks should populate.

NOTE: when navigating through the old install ( from the new) you may get a message you don't have permission (yeah yeah ) Click continue ( think that's the wording I just do it automatically) wait for it to progress, and your in

On a Funny Side I had to look it up on how, BUT--- I Been itching to post this :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Google.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	8937

Note + got one for BM as well Waiting waiting for the right time.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 12-07-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Brilliant! (Copying across the bookmarks file)

Of course, I first had to find the (hidden) appdata folder. For a while I thought I might have to use Google...

Thanks