Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pretends to know things

Default Sold some computer parts on trademe which are now "broken"

I recently sold a bunch on parts on trademe, shipped them off to the buyer everything appeared to arrive fine. Buyer opened the package the day it arrived. A few days later, when the buyer went to assemble a system apparently the system wouldn't boot. They tried to troubleshoot the issue and are apparently certain that the motherboard (one of the items sold) was defective. All the parts were working fine when shipped (they were being used up until they were listed on TM), I believe the buyer has in someway caused damage to the board at some point between receiving the parts and trying to troubleshoot a few days later.

Am I obligated to refund the buyer? With anything else I would but given how easily computer hardware can be damaged and that I have no way of knowing how the buyer handled the parts while trying to assemble a system I'm not so sure.

Seems very he said, she said.

Default Re: Sold some computer parts on trademe which are now "broken"

I wonder if the CGA applies under second hand goods but you're right, there's no way of telling if it was damaged in transit or their handling but you can state it was tested and working at the time, you can have them send it back at their cost and then... who knows, you can continue with the CGA, have it repaired, etc or something else but you want to get it back and be able to test it out.

If buyer didn't damage it, is the courier responsible, however it sounds like it was delivered and buyer has received items in good order.

It really comes down to what you want, does your reputation count? How far is the seller going to take the matter? Is it worth the hassle? Did you have clauses that stated 'as is', etc

Tough call, there's always the problem where some people will try it on to rip you off that makes it even harder to know what to do. If you are certain it was working and sold it in good faith then I think it's on them, although you may have to wear some bad feedback if that's the case.
    Don't even consider a refund unless they are willing to send it all back first so you can see for yourself what's going on. It's also entirely possible they don't know what they are doing.

Way back when I sold my PS2 I got an E-mail saying it arrived broken, I just said very sorry but It was fine when I sent it and I packed it as best I could and try the courier company and never heard back.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Pretends to know things

Quote Originally Posted by Kame View Post
    I wonder if the CGA applies under second hand goods but you're right, there's no way of telling if it was damaged in transit or their handling but you can state it was tested and working at the time, you can have them send it back at their cost and then... who knows, you can continue with the CGA, have it repaired, etc or something else but you want to get it back and be able to test it out.

If buyer didn't damage it, is the courier responsible, however it sounds like it was delivered and buyer has received items in good order.

It really comes down to what you want, does your reputation count? How far is the seller going to take the matter? Is it worth the hassle? Did you have clauses that stated 'as is', etc
    I believe the CGA doesn't apply to 2nd hand goods (it would if I was "in-trade", but I'm not), that being said goods still have to be sold as described. Ie working, and to the best of my knowledge they were.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Tough call, there's always the problem where some people will try it on to rip you off that makes it even harder to know what to do. If you are certain it was working and sold it in good faith then I think it's on them, although you may have to wear some bad feedback if that's the case.
    Don't even consider a refund unless they are willing to send it all back first so you can see for yourself what's going on. It's also entirely possible they don't know what they are doing.

Way back when I sold my PS2 I got an E-mail saying it arrived broken, I just said very sorry but It was fine when I sent it and I packed it as best I could and try the courier company and never heard back.
    Yeah they've offered to send the goods back, obviously I'm basically agreeing to a refund in that situation. I don't think they're trying to rip me off, I'd guess that they've done something incorrectly without realising it. Even something as simple as clearing CMOS can brick or kill a board if done incorrectly (ie the board is powered). Might sleep on it.

Dont refund till you get them back & test it.

But yeah, stuff fails , stuff breaks.
    was working previously means nothing . Everything was working .....until the day it fails. Who knows, maybe the trip down there being bounced around
    was enough to make it fail. Unlikely but possible.
    Could be as simple as a single motherboard support on the case being in the wrong position for your motherboard , easy mistake to make.

Unfortunately you're in a no win situation.
    Get it back, test it. If it works, send them a vid of it working. If its dead , refund them.
    Or just refuse now and have nothing else to do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by icow View Post
    buyer went to assemble a system apparently the system wouldn't boot.
    Am I obligated to refund the buyer? .
    Not unless you are a dealer.
    Ex-pctek

I sold a pair of motorcycle boots sent to the buyer and had an email to say they were damaged, pretty sure they were OK when sent told the guy to return them to which he did and I refunded his money including P&P both ways. I also contacted trademe for advice and they also refunded some money into my account, so I was not out of pocket. Might be worth contacting TM unless you have already.

Can't re Member

You are obligated to provide the goods of the standard advertised
    If they are willing to return the parts then isn't it best to refund them.
    How would you feel if you were the buyer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ofthesea View Post
    How would you feel if you were the buyer?
    Stupid. For buying stuff sight-unseen of the internet from someone I didn't know.

icow - don't refund him. If you sent the goods in good nick then your conscious is clear.

It's a risk you take, one of my second hand PCs recently bought of trademe just died. I don't blame the seller, in fact I was considering buying another one off them.
    Old hardware fails it's just a fact of life, you buy second hand you take a risk.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070