Thread: Faraday bag

Smile Faraday bag

I just read about Faraday bags & wrapping our RF keys in tin foil.
    Be interested to know what you guys think?
    I did a Google & came up with a UK site also Trade Me has them for computers.

Default Re: Faraday bag

I prefer a tinfoil hat

yep, thats the sort of level of these sort of things .
    I you feel the need for farady cages (bags) , its time to disconnect yourself from all this tech .
    Your phone will have NFC, so it will also need a farady bag. Of course then you phone will no longer work as a phone, so the cheaper option is to smash it with a hammer
    For the PC, well it has to be fully enclosed . No cables or keyboards poking out the side. So You'll need to get inside the bag/cage to use it

Although , I wish my credit card didnt have that wave to pay .
    Last edited by 1101; 09-07-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Smile Re: Faraday bag

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    I prefer a tinfoil hat

yep, thats the sort of level of these sort of things .
    I you feel the need for farady cages (bags) , its time to disconnect yourself from all this tech .
    Your phone will have NFC, so it will also need a farady bag. Of course then you phone will no longer work as a phone, so the cheaper option is to smash it with a hammer
    For the PC, well it has to be fully enclosed . No cables or keyboards poking out the side. So You'll need to get inside the bag/cage to use it

Although , I wish my credit card didnt have that wave to pay .
    I think the bigger problem is RF car keys, etc.
    They said quite simple to clone them.

They used to say the same thing about cloning remote devices for wireless car alarms . And garage door openers .

If you put RF car keys in a farady bag , you wouldnt be able to start the car .
    When you take it of of the bag , maybee they copy/clone it then (or not in real life).
    Wireless car keys , nfc etc is very short range , so they would have to note what car is yours, follow you & get very close (up next to you) to be able to clone from
    your signal. Thats assuming the key-FOB is allways on, allways broadcasting .

Honestly , if someone was that intent on stealing your car , they would just load it onto a trailer or simply tow it away (as does happen) .
    They can load the car into an enclosed metal car trailer to stop the GPS car alarm being able to phone home the GPS co-ordinates . This has happened in NZ. Not likely to happen to us unless we have some
    very expensive supercars .

The remote for the cars central locking is different to the transponder pill. The transponder pill needs power to work which it gets from the key inserted into the ignition. Its unrelated to the remote.

As for remote starting... I don't know much about the specification on that.

The real concern is RF chips on things like your passport, debit/credit cards in which someone with an NFC device can get close enough to read it. The range isn't that great however but it maybe possible to boost it.

What the hell are you guys talking about? From many years ago at Trade Tech we learnt that Faraday had something to do with electricity, was it Capacitance? PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa John View Post
    What the hell are you guys talking about? From many years ago at Trade Tech we learnt that Faraday had something to do with electricity, was it Capacitance? PJ
    Farad : capacitance
    Faraday : one smart bloke way back when
    Faraday cage : "an enclosure used to block electromagnetic fields" . Like the mesh in microwave oven windows (bad example).
    Faraday Bag : a device used to fleece money from those who wear tinfoil hats Might be useful for modern Credit Cards where waving them near eftpos machines can cause it to leak money .