Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Dead motherboard?

Thanks but I think Aliexpress is a bust also. It needs to be an itx board and support an i5 3470. Most are H61 boards which may need a BIOS update and that's a whole other headache and some are generic Chinese clones I don't think I'd trust.
    Plenty of ATX options if I wanted to put it in my other spare case of course but the itx ones are more expensive and there's a lot less choices.

This was built to be a NAS replacement in a Silverstone DS380 Silverstone https://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=452
    It's a great case once built, but horrible to work in or build a PC in so if I rebuild it I want something I won't have to touch again for years hopefully. Having used it I think there are several design flaws but it's still one of the better NAS style cases.

Originally my NAS was playing up and the cost of a new one prompted me to start work on a home built solution, but then I sorted the NAS out and have only been using this machine to back it up.
    Kinda amusing that the NAS outlasted it's replacement. Anyway I put the back drives in my media PC and set it up to do the backups so that particular function is covered - and by a much newer machine.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

I just had a second identical machine die last night. We had a power cut Sunday morning so I'm hoping it's just the PSU but I won't know until I do some investigating.

It starts to boot, I get a flash or two of the windows login screen, then the screen goes crazy flashing pink and white for a bit and it shuts itself off.
    Starting to wonder if these Asrock boards have a common failure at this age.

On the plus side my android tablet running VLC managed to play the movie I wanted to watch from the NAS to the chromecast perfectly. If it did that a bit more reliably I wouldn't even need a PC in that room but it's had audio sync issues in the past with some files.
    I've played with Plex but it's overly complex for what I want to do and requires me to manage my collection better than I do, I just like to browse the network share and play the file directly.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Wouldn't trust ASROCK full stop

Years ago when I used to work at Quay Computers doing some training, they went through a real bad patch, it was a 50% failure rate on asrock boards (serious)

On first start we almost flipped a coin to guess if they would go or not. Generally if they started and you could install a OS they went OK, otherwise --- Rip out the board put in another.

Well that PC is not dead, unplugged it and left it for a while then booted it up. It did a scan of the hard drive and ran for an hour just fine. The PC that started this thread is still dead though