Default Bluetooth car audio issues with iPhone 8 and X

I upgraded my car audio system a week ago to a Kenwood DDX4018BT with CD/radio/USB/Bluetooth, etc. After installation I paired it with my iPhone X and tried voice calling and it worked perfectly. Turned off the unit and the next time I turned it on and tried voice calling it announced who I was calling through the car speakers, but on the phone three options showed on screen (see photo). Although there was a tick next to the name of the unit the phone was paired to, as soon as it started ringing the tick switched to iPhone. A call made to my phone also did the same.

I tried unpairing the device and after turning off the phone and the unit, pairing them again, but the same thing happened. I went to Repco and showed them what was happened and they contacted the manufacturer, who told me to try unpairing it again (no joy) and also resetting the unit (again, no change once reset and phone paired again). Repco replaced the unit, but the same thing happened with the new one. I went back on Saturday and they paired another phone with the unit and after that, my phone worked for both voice dialling and receiving calls. Sweet! Or not...

It stopped working by the time I got home, and wouldn't work when driving somewhere that night or the next day. I tried my old Uniden BTSC 1700 Voice Control Handsfree Car Kit and that works perfectly, as does Bluetooth for audio on the Kenwood, so there's nothing wrong with the Bluetooth. The only thing not working consistently is the voice dialling. I even tried connecting the phone to the unit using the USB cable but that didn't make any difference.

I tried again this morning and the unit connected to the car's speakers the first time I tried, but then switched to the phone for subsequent calls. The Uniden carried on working as before - and yes, I am trying them one at a time, with the other unit turned off each time I try.

I've tried all the different Bluetooth and Siri settings on the phone but nothing makes any difference. I've selected Bluetooth speaker on the phone, but as soon as I try voice calling, the tick reverts to the iPhone. I've turned off 'hey Siri' but there is no difference with that either - and the Uniden works just fine.

I've Googled the issue and there does seem to be a problem with the iPhone X (my model) and the iPhone 8 (what a friend has - and he says the same thing happens with the factory fitted Bluetooth unit in his vehicle) https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8292715 and https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7905386

Has anyone using an iPhone X come across this issue before, and have you managed to find a solution? I'd love an integrated unit rather than having to connect the audio via a cable, but this is a nightmare.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone 1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	8914

Computer Tech

Default Re: Bluetooth car audio issues with iPhone 8 and X

I've got an iPhone X and use it with bluetooth on the factory stereo in my Swift Sport.
    Never had any issues, works great every time.

Is your iPhone running latest iOS 11.4?
    You could try backing it up and then restoring it via iTunes and just having it setup as a new iPhone, and see if that makes any difference.
    It could be a software issue with your iPhone.

Did you answer the call on the iPhone or the Head Unit? I've had this issue with my QC35's, but it's because I swipe to answer the call rather than press the button on headphones.

Yes, phone is running latest iOS 11.4.

It's more the voice activated dialling that's causing the issue rather than incoming calls. I was using the unit to make and answer calls, not the phone (except when dialling out when not driving).

If it's a software issue with my phone, then it's happening with a friend's phone too (he's got an 8). I'm really not keen to go to the hassle of resetting and restoring the phone when Bluetooth audio works fine, and the voice activated dialling works with the Uniden.

I was finding the positioning of the touchscreen in an older car wasn't ideal, so I swapped the unit yesterday for a Kenwood DPX-5100BT (not touchscreen). When I tried voice dialling last night it worked perfectly through the unit, and again this morning. Got home just before and tried voice dialling to see if all was still fine, and the bloody thing routed the call through the phone! I watched as it switched from the unit on the screen of the iPhone, to the phone. The tick just moves from one to the other within seconds without any input from me.

So I'm still stuck with the Uniden for voice dialling until this issue is sorted. I'll have to turn off the car audio system every time I want to make a call so it routes it via the Uniden unit rather than the phone, but at least it will be handsfree!

Computer Tech

OK I never use voice dialling so maybe that's where the issue is.
    I only tend to receive calls while driving, which are answered using the button on the steering wheel, and if I make a call I use the iPhone, but it still sends the audio via bluetooth to the stereo.

pcsourcepoint

You may have read these solutions. Possibly disconnect the car battery - if you do you might lose stereo presets and stations. You might require a entry code. Because you have connected more than 1 device - the Uniden - the stereo unit might be prioritizing/customizing for the Uniden. Or can the stereo unit be re-set or a setting choice for a new/multiple device? If so I would connect the iphone first or only it, to see if it works.
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 04-07-2018 at 07:35 PM.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)