Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question What to look for in buying a new laptop??

I currently got an Acer Aspire V3-571G laptop that I have been using since August 2012.

As my laptop battery has died and the dvd rom has given upÖ, itís time to look for another laptop.

As it has been a while since I looked for a laptop what sort of things should I look for in buying a new laptop? And what should I avoid??

Default Re: What to look for in buying a new laptop??

An SSD as well as a mechanical hard drive 8Gb RAM and anything else you would like really.

Oh and a full keyboard with number pad and a 17" screen.
    Last edited by gary67; 22-06-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by stu161204 View Post
    I currently got an Acer Aspire V3-571G laptop that I have been using since August 2012.

As my laptop battery has died and the dvd rom has given up…, it’s time to look for another laptop.

As it has been a while since I looked for a laptop what sort of things should I look for in buying a new laptop? And what should I avoid??

What will you be using it for and is it your primary computer or do you a desktop PC for that?

When I use a laptop I am like many out there, just surfing the web etc etc. So for me I just got a ex lease Thinkpad, swapped in a SSD and 16GB RAM (8GB was prob enough but I went the max so I can use it longer). For a laptop, I would pick something more reliable like the pro range. HP Pro Book etc .. Lenovo Thinkpads. There is also size to think about. After having this Thinkpad T series, I kinda wishes I got the X. I did have 2 prior X before but thought I get something a bit larger, but I still prerfer something just portable even if it was just running around here at home and spending time in the warm lounge in the evenings

To me
    (a) quality model of laptop (new or used).
    (b) your preferable size?
    (c) SSD and 8GB at least. I would not consider a normal HDD.
    (d) speed wise that it fits your usage.
    (e) any preferable for a better quality display, are you editing graphics?

A lot of the 'budget' notebooks have soldered in eMMc flash drives, soldered in RAM, and battery. They perform well for the price, so long as you stick to the original OS. Drivers for other systems are non existent. They are ideal for school kids, and people on the move, being light, having no moving parts, shock resistant, and having no fan remain dust free.

Take look about good cooling system. My laptop permanently overheat due of bad coolers.

Lots of the reasonable laptops (read not cheap budget rubbish) come with SSD's these days and more and more are SSD M.2 (it looks more like a stick of standard Desktop Memory than a HDD). MANY also dont have Optical ( DVD/CD ) drives.

So if you need one then either get a USB External or select a Laptop that does.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

I just upgraded my 5+ year old Laptop. Just got another HP as I have never had a problem with them. On Wednesday I bought a https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/c...rod163363.html I only paid $2159 as it was on special.

So far I am really pleased with it. Had to buy a Transcend external DVD writer at $79.99 as an extra. It handles 4K video editing pretty good, processes video about twice as quick as my old one.

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Quote Originally Posted by stu161204 View Post
    As my laptop battery has died and the dvd rom has given upÖ, itís time to look for another laptop.
    Really? 2 really easy things to swap out on a laptop, I wouldn't ditch one just for that.

Screen, motherboard, GPU etc yes....
    Ex-pctek

I agree with Piroska, the specs on that laptop look pretty good so I'd just fix it. A new battery and DVD drive is probably < $100 all up.
    If you want it to feel faster install an SSD. Even if you pay some one do do all 3 things for you it's still cheaper than a decent new laptop.

That's assuming of course that the laptop is in reasonable condition otherwise.
    Another option is ditch the DVD drive or buy an external one and use a caddy to install a second hard drive in its place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbypTsakf5I
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Wanderer

Many or most laptops these days don't have optical drives. I have a second hand laptop can't remember the last time I used the dvd drive.