Thread: SSD conundrum.

Older by the minute

Default SSD conundrum.

I had a doozy last night. I turned my WIN10 system off using the bottom left Windows icon as I always do. I am sure that I selected "Shutdown" but took my eyes off before I hit the mouse button.

The system shut down alright, It turned the PC off in a heartbeat. Black screen immediately. The button to turn the PC on was blinking and I had to hold it in to turn the machine off. I then tried to turn the PC on again but it gave a message that the HHD could not be found. I booted into BIOS and the HHD was not detected. The PC was able to be booted into my old mechanical HHD that I have been loathe to disconnect. Still no SSD HDD could be found, investigate tomorrow and off to bed. Wolla this morning turn the bloody thing on and all is back to normal.

Anyone got any thoughts as to what happened?

Re Member

Default Re: SSD conundrum.

I had that happen on my Win 7 after installing my SSD a day or two later.
    Had to boot into BIOS where I did see the SSD and had to reset it as boot drive!

The probable reason for shutting down so fast is you clicked on Sleep. That's exactly what it will do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sleep.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	8889
    You can remove that option in The Control Panel / Power Options / Choose what The Power Buttons do.

It should have come back to life again by clicking the mouse (mine I have to right click on the screen).

Sometimes also if fast-start is active it wont work. Its should have been called trouble Start

Lots of People ( myself included) turn off fast start to save any problems. You can do that in the settings mentioned above.

The options are grayed out, but easy to enable, see picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fast.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	8890

Why the drive disappeared from the BIOS -- Who knows.

This happened to me a fortnight ago. After repeatedly shutting down (off switch on back of desktop case) and restarting, Win10 finally went to a screen with options such as Repair and Restore. I went for restoring to an image saved a couple of days before the BSOD (black, no video except for the little loading icon). I then kept my PC on all day and night as I could not risk another total shut down. One morning I noticed that Windows rebooted and updated sometime during the night; I think MS updated with new drivers compatible with their latest update. All is well now except that I am trying to go from IDE to AHCI and then TRIM so that the new SSD is optimized - see my current thread on this matter.

FWIW, the SSD (OS on it) and the other 3 older hard drives were all visible with BIOS when the BSOD shutdown occurred.

I hope your PC gets fixed automatically like what happened to my trusty old desktop.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics
    are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

~ Bertrand Russell

Older by the minute

Thanks WT & Strommer. I took WT's advice and removed the Sleep option from the menu so no more problems there. PC is good again.