Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default UFB ONT locations

Hello all,

I am (hopefully) getting UFB soon. I am looking for tips/ideas where the ONT box should go so I don't make a mistake with its positioning.

I have a Huawei HG659 modem/router that was supplied by my ISP for the new UFB connection, and an existing NetComm NF4V (VOIP capable) modem/router.

Where would be the best place to put the ONT and what factors should I consider? My phone line will be changing to VOIP too. Is there a preference to it being on an internal or external facing wall? If there isn't a power point handy to the ONT and modem, will they install a power point or is that a limiting factor?

If I put the ONT and modem in a cupboard or behind the TV, I presume I will need to use my existing NetComm NF4V in bridging mode to plug the telephone into. Is this asking for issues?

What sort of things would be considered a legitimate issue for the ONT installer when it comes to choosing a location?

So many questions ... thanks!

Default Re: UFB ONT locations

Lack of power is an issue. So chose a location near power, and handy to feed into the rest of your network.

Ideally the ont needs to be near an existing power point and an existing phone jack (so you can back feed your house wiring).
    It connects to your router via ethernet so they either need to be close to each other or you need some way to route an ethernet connection between them.

I don't actually know how the VOIP part connects as Mine is Naked but my ONT has ports for it and so does the router, which you use will likely depend on your provider

Other than that, stick it where it's convenient and won't bother you. Mine is in the corner of my Lounge with the Router sitting behind the TV because I have multiple internet devices in that location and an ethernet cable to my office.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

It is hard to advise not knowing your house layout and whether it is easy to run cabling. But think how the installer will route the fibre to the ONT and how you are going to feed ethernet to where your devices are. You need to think of wifi signals as well, if you want to use the supplied router as a wireless source.

Like dugi said, you need power (no, the installer won't add a power outlet) and you need to be able to connect into a telephone socket. Most ISPs connect the phone to the router but some, like Spark, run it from the ONT.

Personally, I didn't want the ONT in the lounge because I didn't want permanent flashing lights and numerous devices adding to the clutter behind the TV. I wasn't very successful with the latter, though!

My ETP is on the external wall of my internal garage and the installers routed the fibre above my garage doors and through to a stand-up area under the house. Located there is the ONT, a UPS, the supplied router and a megabit switch. From there I run ethernet to my upstairs lounge behind the TV and use a router there as an AP and switch. I also was easily able to run ethernet to our downstairs rumpus room/workshop.

Good luck with your planning and keep asking if you are still wondering.

Mine is in lounge on wall by window, where the cable comes into house. I have a small house and it worked there. Phone sits on a cabinet nearby, so does modem.

My brother has current modem in a spare room in middle of house, works for his wifi, other ends of house. So he is in the process of getting his fibre run to that room, the ONT will go in there.

he has a phone with 2 handsets, main phone lives in that room now, handsets elsewhere in house.

So think how yours is laid out, where do you sit with devices? Wifi should be equidistant from it, not too far. All rooms have a power point somewhere....
    Phones, well you can bother with the old jackpoints if you want, but like my brother, why not just get a handset phone set instead?
    Ex-pctek

Wanderer

Brand new houses these days get installed inside a metal cabinet in the garage.

My 2c. It's up to you, wherever there is a power socket. We have ours behind the TV. That is also where our router is. I know others and they have it in the dining / kid's homework area. You can put the ONT anywhere and then you could always use a long network cable to reposition your router esp if you want a single router that provides wireless to all four corners of your house. Assuming you can get power there obviously. We have ours behind the TV, one of the back corners of our place doesn't get sufficient reception. We had fiber for a few years now, in the past some said, it would be useful to be behind the TV when they have real Internet TV which the ONT connects to the TV - but that hasn't quite arrived yet.

Re: landline. They just rejig the wires. They do that for you. They take one phone socket preferably close to the ONT and they either plug that phone socket to your ONT directly or some ISPs plug it into the router (2Degrees for eg). Then your other phone jacks in the house will continue to ring and function as per normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    If I put the ONT and modem in a cupboard or behind the TV, I presume I will need to use my existing NetComm NF4V in bridging mode to plug the telephone into. Is this asking for issues?
    Maybe the cabinet might limit the performance of wireless.
    Last edited by Nomad; 15-06-2018 at 03:35 PM.

The supplied hardware should have a port for the phone so you shouldn't need your NetComm in the system at all, that is how our previous system was setup Ont- to modem with both phone and printer plugged into the modem

Thanks all for your advice so far. Gives me something to think about.

Behind the TV in the lounge then they will back feed it via an ethernet cable to your computer room. Mine goes up inside the wall and inside the roofspace via 30 meter network cable to the computer room..You can pre run the cable if you want. The installer will tick it off as being installed to existing infrastructure

You do have an entire room for your computer right ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by apsattv View Post
    You do have an entire room for your computer right ;-)
    I did. Then I got older and boring.

I'm thinking behind the TV would be the easiest at this moment. I (aka pay someone) could then run network cabling in the crawl space under the house at later date if required. The garage option will require me to put in network cabling now to the lounge area, as the wireless signal from the garage to the lounge may not be optimal.

Still a bit confused how my standard cordless telephone is going to work as it needs to plug into the modem, and having this behind the TV is not ideal even with an extra cordless handset. I guess using the current NetComm in bridging mode just for the telephone would be ok ...

There is a phone jack behind the TV but it is not connected up to the circuit. The end of that line is currently poking out from under the skirting next to the main phone jack, clearly not connected.