Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: CPU temp for i7 6700k

An interesting informative video on different methods of applying paste, and cleaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMgUYWUWX4w

its often just personal preference based on questionable assumptions and poor test methods

In a perfect world, the compound will squish out ONLY staying where its needed. There is thermal resistance in the paste, so less is better.
    The paste should only stay in the surface imperfections where its needed . (my assumptions)

In the real world is it really going to make any difference ? especially when compared to the thick thermal pads often used
    Perhaps some tomato sauce
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-pr4cf70qY

Well I decided to do this tonight rather than wait until the weekend.
    When I first tried booting I got a A2 Qcode bios error, but then on second boot it booted fine. Not sure what that was all about.
    When it booted, I ran HW Monitor and it seems to jump right up to 100 degrees immediately. Just about crapped myself. But after a few minutes it settled down, right now it seems about 50 degrees at idle after about 20 mins, sometimes jumping to around 80 when CPU usage gets around 20%. So that's an improvement, but is this now considered 'normal' temp? The 80 still seems a little high to me...
    Last edited by Chikara; 14-06-2018 at 11:00 PM.

VoidMaster

Chikara, are you sure this is a Centigrade reading and not degF?
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Hi, yes, please see my second post where I attached a screenshot of the HWMonitor readings.

Anyway I have another update. I thought I would download and try the Asus AI Suite and see if there was anything in there that could help. I tried changing the "CPU Active Frequency Mode" setting from off to on. I also turned "Power saving formula" to on (previous nothing was selected). I don't fully understand these settings but I figured it was worth a try.
    So now, my CPU temps have dropped down to mid-high 40's. Interestingly though, the CPU usage has also increased to 30-40% which I assume is something to do with the setting.
    I don't fully understand what's going on but at least right now I have a bit lower temps...
    Perhaps the system was somehow set to higher performance mode (not by me, maybe it was done when it was built) and these settings have returned some values back closer to normal?
    Last edited by Chikara; 15-06-2018 at 01:51 AM.

I would reset the BIOS too. Sounds like someone been mucking with settings haha.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Going by the screenshot multi core enhancement is enabled or the equivalent mild overclock is set.

The default single core turbo speed for a 6700K is 4.2Ghz but the 4 core default is 4.0Ghz, you can see all four cores at 4.2 in the HW monitor screenshots, mine is set the same.

Multi core enhancement just sets all 4 cores to the single core default - which is technically an overclock but a very mild one. It should not be enough to cause those temps but disabling it should drop them a little.
    These chips overclock to 4.5 very easily as a rule, and quite a bit higher if you get a good one and put in the effort. I ran mine at 4.4 for a couple of years but dropped it back to 4.2 recently.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

OK, sounds like a BIOS reset is in order, then. That should reset any multi core enhancement then. Perhaps something was tweaked by the shop that assembled it for me, but it's odd I have only noticed it now.
    And just to clarify, I don't get any overheat warnings when it's in use. but sometimes when I do a reboot it then gives the CPU over temp warning and takes me to BIOS. But this has only started recently which is the odd thing.

Couple of questions before I reset the BIOS.
    - Do I need to run the Asus IA Suite? And if so, does this over-ride any bios settings?
    - I have a water cooler. (I got this because i live in a hot climate and sometimes I leave PC running when not home, so room would get hot). I vaguely remember the shop told me the settings for this is controlled by BIOS (rather than software on PC). If so, do I need to do anything after resetting BIOS, to make sure the water cooling is still working?

Thanks

I don't know about the IA Suite but I'd presume not. Not sure about the BIOS settings for the water cooler either, I assume the pump runs of the CPU fan control somehow.
    Hopefully someone else can be more helpful with those.

But the thing with Multi core enhancement is a lot of motherboards have it enabled by default so even after a BIOS reset you can end up with it still on. If you want to disable it you may have to go into the BIOS and find where the setting is and disable it manually.
    If the IA suite lets you set CPU clock speeds and voltages then you could probably use it instead of playing around with the BIOS.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

OK thanks. I meant to type AI Suite but hopefully you know what I meant. This software here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1012780/
    It's for fan control as well as overclocking functions. There's a lot of settings I don't understand but I haven't touched those.
    Anyway, I think I will go ahead and reset BIOS back to default and see what happens. I can't imagine it would make the CPU heat worse, so it's probably worth a crack. Only thing I am worried about is somehow stuffing up the watercooling control, which as I said I vaguely remember is controlled by BIOS, and probably had to be set up to do that (so will lose that setting with reset).
    I'll try and find where that is in the BIOS, and make a note of the settings before I reset.