Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: CPU temp for i7 6700k

I think the best option is to take it back to the people who installed it to sort it out. The temps are not normal.

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Yes, take it back, I suspect the pump is weak, or U/S
    FTW

IS there an update?

Hi, not yet, nothing has changed yet. I plan on taking it back to the original shop that assembled it for me. That was about 2.5 years ago so I am not sure if the watercooler is covered under warranty, if in fact that's the problem. I'll let them look at it and try to solve it.
    I have a work trip overseas in a few weeks time, just waiting for that to be confirmed. If it is, I'll plan to drop it in to them before I go, so they can work on it when I'm away.

Right now as I type this it's sitting about 75 degrees. That's just with Outlook, Firefox and Chrome open, and both FF and Chrome have a flash page open. So nothing that should be too taxing to cause that heat.

Hi,
    I have an update for anyone interested.
    As some of you suspected, it was the watercooler. I took the PC back to the shop I bought it from. They put a regular fan cooling in to test and straight away got lower temps.
    They ended up putting in a new watercooler unit in, right now as I type this (OUtlook and Firefox only running) it's about 26 degrees. Huge improvement.

Side grump - they first told me the old watercooler was out of warranty. So we went ahead and bought a new one. Only afterwards did I find out the old watercooler *was* still under warranty. They had assumed the old one was a 2 year warranty but never checked to confirm, turns out actually it was a 3 year. By this time they had already installed the new one, then tried say it was not their fault as I had authorised them to go ahead with the new one.
    I told them I only authorised them to do that because they told me old one was not under warranty! Maybe 10% my fault for not double-checking myself.
    I was running out of time and really couldn't be bothered with arguing with them. They ended up giving me the new watercooler at cost and if I can get the old one replaced or repaired under warranty, I'll probably just sell it and cut my losses.

A good result in the end eventually. Now overclock that thing and get the temps back up there ;-)

Sometimes (as in my last one) the heat sink is attached to the cpu by the paste, quite hard.
    They were 4 years together!
    It was virtually impossible for me to prise them apart just using my fingers (no screw drivers allowed!)
    After reading up on it, I resorted to my heat gun.
    After quite a few goes, the paste did not seem to be "melting" but then all of a sudden I was able to twist it off.

(But I had also applied some iso alchol all around the joint, but that did not seem to have a visual effect)

Also there are many different view as to how to apply the thermal paste, pea sized blob, a cross mark or an all over thin coat.

I went for the overall thin coat.
    That seems to make sense to me.
    And my Brand new Ryzen CPU and Heatsink came with a thin overall coating already on the Heatsink.
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?