Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: CPU temp for i7 6700k

OK, so I went to reset the BIOS, and there was the option only to "Load optimised defaults', which I did. The only thing that this changed was:
    - EPU Power Saving Mode from enabled to disabled;
    - ASMediaStorage Controller (SATA6G_E12) enabled back to disabled

It also tried to disable Intel Virtualisation, but I turned that back on as I sometimes use Virtual Box.

I had already uninstalled Asus AI software before doing this.

It really seems to have made no difference, right now my temps as I write this are 70-80 degrees, and sometimes peaking up close to 100 which I feel is still too hot for just minimal use, all I am doing right now is browsing (couple of browser tabs to have some flash pages but that should not make much difference).

Before I start playing around with any other settings, any other suggestions on what I should look for?
    I already reapplied thermal paste to the CPU, so unless somehow that didn't work properly, that should be fine. I don't know how to check if my water cooler is working, there's no software to tell me but if I hold the two tubes one feels hotter than the other. Which I hope indicates cooler water flowing in and heated water flowing out. In any case, a water cooler shouldn't make *that* much difference, should it?
    I would have thought at low CPU use I should be getting around 40 degrees, not 70+.

Is it possible the temp reading is faulty?

Couple of things.
    Did this use to run cooler?
    Did you actually redo the thermal Paste & what did you use?

Hi,
    I used Arctic MX4 brand paste. I suppose it's possible it didn't spread correctly and that's why it's still hot..but i have a feeling there's more to it that that.

Re it running cooler before - honestly I am not exactly sure. I never used to run the HWMonitor software so I never saw the temps that closely. But in the past, whenever I would reboot the PC (eg after windows updates), I never ever got any CPU heat warnings.

Now (in last month or so), when I reboot PC, often (not always) I get the CPU overheat temp warning at the BIOS screen. I can proceed to boot, and I never get any shutdowns or warnings when the PC is actually running. But since this started, I have got in the habit of running HWMonitor software to check the temps more closely, so now I can see the temp while it's running.

It really doesn't sound like the cooler is working properly, even an intel stock cooler does better than that. If you put your finger on the top of the pump does it feel like it's doing something ?
    If you don't trust hardware monitor (and it isn't always right) check the BIOS temperature readings, they should be similar to the idle temp reading in windows. Starting up cold and going straight into BIOS the CPU should really only be in the 20-40c range this time of year, and I'd consider 40 high as the CPU is doing almost nothing at that point. You saw my temps earlier.

One thing I recall about water cooling is that it takes a lot longer to heat up and cool down than air cooling because of the greater thermal mass so if it's getting hot fast something is not right.
    Normally watching reviews the temp is a long slow ramp up that can take quite a long time to max out and several minutes to cool back down. Air coolers heat up quickly and cool down almost instantly.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

yes that's what I was thinking, even stock should be better than this.
    I will check the cooler again later on today, I'm not home right now.

One other thing to clarify, I'm not in NZ any more, I am in Singapore, so it's in a hotter room. This might make a difference when it's running unattended. But when I am home, I have aircon on in the room, so that makes the ambient room temp maybe 23 or so. Hotter than inside a home in NZ this time of year, but still not enough to account for such high CPU, I would have thought..