Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Love my electric blanket

Who was the fellow who invented the electric blanket? What a clever chap!

On these cold winter nights a warm bed is fantastic.

SWMBO says, "Why do you need an electric blanket when you have me?"

I reminded her that some time ago I suggested that she get into bed before me to warm up my side of the bed but that did not go down very well so we bought electric blankets instead.

What about you? Do you have your SWMBO warm up your bed for you or do you have an electric blanket as well?
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Default Re: Love my electric blanket

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Who was the fellow who invented the electric blanket? What a clever chap!

On these cold winter nights a warm bed is fantastic.
    Totally agree Roscoe. However we always switch them off as soon as we are in bed. Never sleep with them switched on.

Husband, being skin and bones, also loves his. I turn it on for him, on occasion he's left it on low all night too.
    (I know, don't nag)

James Herriot (Or Alf Wright) in his books, comments that he loved his, didn't know how vets survived without them before, he used to be warmed by his wife on returning from night call outs.

Son finds his good for his back problems...he'll turn it on and warm it and then lie to ease it.

One of our cats loves husbands side of the bed in winter too. She scuttles off to check, if it hasn't been turned on, she'll come back out and drop hints and disappear again once she finds the warm spot.
    She has arthritis in spine, it does seem to help her too.

Yep, a great invention.
    Ex-pctek

I don't like them. I just use fleece sheets and lots of blankets so no need my bed is toasty and warm without any extra heat source.
    One of these mornings it was 10 degrees in my house and I was actually a little too hot in my bed. The memory foam topper on my mattress helps too.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Fleece sheets and pillow cases and I don't use an electric blanket - BUT - I do use an electric bed pad that heats me on the underside so I'm all toasty all night long.

I set mine to 2 of 10, and just leave it on 24-7. My wife would live in an igloo or in a tree if it was colder.

Sumpthin' wrong with dat woman - I swear. She's 'way past the change too. I sent her to a spare bedroom - got too many guitars and basses in here to let them freeze - lacquer doesn't like rooms that cold and it'll crack and spider-web.

I also like to throw on an open sleeping bag in the winter - a sub-zero temp style - over my down comforter and thermal blanket. Love to snuggle down into it all but keep my nose out for oxygen all night long.

SWMBO sleeps head-under the blankets - killing brain cells - oxygen deprivation --- Hmmmmmm ----->I know why she's the way she is now come to think of it.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Quote Originally Posted by smithie 38 View Post
    Totally agree Roscoe. However we always switch them off as soon as we are in bed. Never sleep with them switched on.
    Yes. We do too, Smithie. I think it would be too hot to leave them on. Besides, it's not that cold in Auckland, but it is so nice to retire to a warm bed.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Blenheim

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Yes. We do too, Smithie. I think it would be too hot to leave them on. Besides, it's not that cold in Auckland, but it is so nice to retire to a warm bed.
    Used to have an older gentleman come through work, who had an old single bar heater, laid on it's back under his bed.! Worked like a charm he said.

Sister and brother-in-law (both in their 70's) living in Auckland still just use hot water bottles.

I have difficulty turning over in bed, a real problem with fleecy sheets, and so I use summer sheets all year round. Got used to them and even though SWMBO bought me a new electric blanket last year I never use it. I do like a hot water bottle though and have a wool fleece underlay and a feather and down duvet. I am as warm as toast all night!

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Reminds me - quite a few years ago my other half bought some silk sheets hoping for an interesting time in bed! It was - I kept sliding (inadvertently) away! They were thrown out...
    Now-if I could just remember where I left my brain...