Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    148

    Default Identifying cause of washing machine problem

    I’ve got a Fisher and Paykel washing machine (model MW612, product 92186-B) that’s not working. Two orange lights show after some time during the water filling stage and the spin stage.

    The first orange light shows just above the “long wash” light and the second between the Rinse and Spin words.

    Can anyone tell what’s causing the machine to stop working after a few mins? Electronic malfunction or too much water pressure?

    I was quoted by F & P Customer Care about $125 for a technician to come around to look at the problem. Would it be possible to find the cause of the problem with help from this forum and fix the problem myself?

    If the machine is really kaput then what new washing machines priced under $500 can be recommended and who sells these?

    Thanks in advance,
    Barry.

  2. #2
    Senior Member piroska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    With Kim-Jong-Mum
    Posts
    2,356

    Default Re: Identifying cause of washing machine problem

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPNLcby5YGQ

    http://www.fixya.com/support/t141533..._machine_mw612

    https://www.justanswer.com/appliance...ors-beeps.html

    https://www.priceme.co.nz/Washing-Ma...x?sb=BestPrice
    No such thing as under $500.
    Well, OK there is...but not if you want reliable.
    Avoid crap brands.

    LG, Miele, Bosch, Panasonic, Simpson, Hoover, in that order. You won't get Bosch or Miele cheap though.

    LG isn't great for many things, but Consumer reports them as excellent in Washing machines.
    Ex-pctek

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    269

    Default Re: Identifying cause of washing machine problem

    Hi Barry,
    Newer Washing machines, like newer cars, have all gone Hi-Tech, its just about impossible to figure out how these things work, unless you have a repairers manual and the knowledge and aptitude.

    One thing I have learned is to check where the coins,and bits and piece's get thrown, it's usually a small flap hiding a collection tray. Giving that a good clean out has saved us a few times. I know! It's not logical for the machine to stop AFTER it has got rid of the problem.

    If you take the machine into the repairers you can save some $$.

  4. #4
    X Tech pheonix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    RotoVegas
    Posts
    475

    Default Re: Identifying cause of washing machine problem

    Have a look at this on youtube. It will be giving you a fault code and the trick is to find out what that fault code is telling you.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_2Q9fddhrQ
    Ever stop to think, and forgot to start again?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    148

    Default Re: Identifying cause of washing machine problem

    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    Have a look at this on youtube. It will be giving you a fault code and the trick is to find out what that fault code is telling you.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_2Q9fddhrQ
    Thanks for the URL. I've looked at the youtube video and worked out that the fault code is 130. Which in binary code is 10000010. It looks like the error means "Single Rotor Position Sensor Error". RPS=Rotor Position Sensor

    What is the next step then? Would it be safe for me as a layperson to attempt looking for the RPS and see what condition it is in and if it looks damaged or old or something then replace it with myself with a new RPS? Or better to call in a suitable technician to sort the problem? If so, what repairers in Auckland do you recommend?

    Thanks,
    Barry.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    148

    Default Re: Identifying cause of washing machine problem

    Quote Originally Posted by barryk View Post
    Thanks for the URL. I've looked at the youtube video and worked out that the fault code is 130. Which in binary code is 10000010. It looks like the error means "Single Rotor Position Sensor Error". RPS=Rotor Position Sensor

    What is the next step then? Would it be safe for me as a layperson to attempt looking for the RPS and see what condition it is in and if it looks damaged or old or something then replace it with myself with a new RPS? Or better to call in a suitable technician to sort the problem? If so, what repairers in Auckland do you recommend?

    Thanks,
    Barry.
    Came across this detailed and interesting video of a 130 fault being fixed in a FP washer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQc64aBzc0

    Remember to watch the last half min of it as it warns against letting too much water end up on the floor.
    Last edited by barryk; 03-06-2018 at 04:53 PM.

  7. #7
    Wrinkly Member! B.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mount Maunganui
    Posts
    7,416

    Default Re: Identifying cause of washing machine problem

    You need to get the machine somewhere where you can lay it down on its FRONT (laying it on its back will pour residual water that isn’t pumped out) to flow through the Dash electronics and invariably cause further problems and associated cost, so take it where a bit of water doesn’t matter.

    (OK, it can be done with the machine tilted on an angle, with you working underneath, but if you haven’t done one before, it ain’t that easy.)

    Anyway, I’ve done a couple, but when my own went I called a Serviceman.

    Total cost including GST $222:10, Part cost $110:93.

    Can’t help you with a Serviceman though, could if you were in Mount Maunganui.

    PS. Just watched the Video and that sums it up well.
    Last edited by B.M.; 03-06-2018 at 05:02 PM.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    .
    .
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    148

    Default Re: Identifying cause of washing machine problem

    Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    You need to get the machine somewhere where you can lay it down on its FRONT (laying it on its back will pour residual water that isn’t pumped out) to flow through the Dash electronics and invariably cause further problems and associated cost, so take it where a bit of water doesn’t matter.

    (OK, it can be done with the machine tilted on an angle, with you working underneath, but if you haven’t done one before, it ain’t that easy.)

    Anyway, I’ve done a couple, but when my own went I called a Serviceman.

    Total cost including GST $222:10, Part cost $110:93.

    Can’t help you with a Serviceman though, could if you were in Mount Maunganui.

    PS. Just watched the Video and that sums it up well.
    Managed to lay down the washer on its FRONT, it tipped a little water which I mopped away. But couldn't see the RPS.

    So I laid the machine down again on its FRONT with someone's help, it tipped less water which I mopped away. The other person got the plastic bolt and rotor off and took the RPS off which is shown in the attached thumbnail photo. We think the electronics are old and corroded, which you'll see if you zoom-in by 2-4X (by pressing CTRL + several times). Do you agree with this thinking?

    Tested the control panel by turning the power on and pressing the advance button and the different LED lights showed up as expected.

    I found out about a replacement part on the Home Appliances Online website at this URL https://www.homeappliancesonline.co....sku/01696.html

    Called this company and asked if I could buy and return the replacement part and the guy said no. So I regard this as a "as-is" product. Do you recommend this company or a different supplier?

    Your advice would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RPS photo 3.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	8883  
    Last edited by barryk; 13-06-2018 at 04:06 PM.

  9. #9
    Wrinkly Member! B.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mount Maunganui
    Posts
    7,416

    Default Re: Identifying cause of washing machine problem

    Quote Originally Posted by barryk View Post
    Managed to lay down the washer on its FRONT, it tipped a little water which I mopped away. But couldn't see the RPS.

    So I laid the machine down again on its FRONT with someone's help, it tipped less water which I mopped away. The other person got the plastic bolt and rotor off and took the RPS off which is shown in the attached thumbnail photo. We think the electronics are old and corroded, which you'll see if you zoom-in by 2-4X (by pressing CTRL + several times). Do you agree with this thinking?

    Tested the control panel by turning the power on and pressing the advance button and the different LED lights showed up as expected.

    I found out about a replacement part on the Home Appliances Online website at this URL https://www.homeappliancesonline.co....sku/01696.html

    Called this company and asked if I could buy and return the replacement part and the guy said no. So I regard this as a "as-is" product. Do you recommend this company or a different supplier?

    Your advice would be appreciated.
    Ok, starting at the beginning Barry.

    The photo you show is almost definitely the item causing the fault.

    They come in different models, depending on machine, so it is important you are specific about the model of your machine.

    (It’s unlikely anyone will take returns for many reasons.)

    I buy my stuff directly from Fisher & Paykel’s parts department 78 Springs Road, Manukau, 2163, phone 09 2739929.

    Give them your Credit card and they send the goods. Never had a problem.

    HTH
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    .
    .
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,131

    Default Re: Identifying cause of washing machine problem

    I don't know how common it is for these sensors to fail but I would have assumed the fault would have been related to what the sensor expected to pick up.

    Can you test the sensor out?

Similar Threads

  1. Washing Machine
    By QW. in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 26-06-2013, 02:42 PM
  2. washing machine problem
    By jareemon in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-08-2011, 12:22 PM
  3. Washing machine
    By whellington in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 19-09-2009, 12:42 PM
  4. What is the best Washing MAchine out there?
    By mark1978 in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-03-2009, 08:16 AM
  5. Washing machine woes
    By beetle in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 19-01-2008, 04:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •