Default Office 365 doc problem

Trying to sort out a problem with word 365 on win 10 and problems with it opening older docx largish (260 pages, 491KB) files. The doc isn't complex being all text. This problem started when they switched from the previous Office to 365.

365 tries to open the file but struggles to get it loaded resulting in word going unresponsive with 30% CPU activity.

This happened on two of my friend's comps so I got a copy of the doc and it opens fine with Google docs and Libreoffice. It has opened fine on a MAC as well. I have installed 365 myself and get the same results as my friend.

Could it be a template problem like it can't find one that matches?? I tried inserting this doc into a blank new file but just get the spinning wheels again. Unsure if it will process its way out of trouble or not.

Noticed install errors in Application log. Trouble writing to registry (CLSID).

Any Office 365 gurus out there?

Default Re: Office 365 doc problem

A thought :
    This problem started when they switched from the previous Office to 365
    Did you uninstall the previous office, if not they may be conflicting somehow. ?

If its only the one document, try this.

press windows Key + R type in

winword /a {Press Enter or click OK}

Go to file - Open, navigate to the document -- What happens. ??

If it opens as it should then there's some add-on causing the problem.

if it still plays up, close word, same as above, Winkey + R type in

WinWord /safe

file - open, navigate and open -- What happens ??
    Last edited by wainuitech; 01-06-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks, WT, but my installation hasn't had the 'old' office installed. winword /safe gives same results. I am coming into this late after meeting old friend a week ago.

What I have found is that 365 will open the Libreoffice saved version of the problem file. I have then saved it from 365 and sent it to my friend to look at it.

So, this approach might work but still no idea why it has occurred in the first place. Interestingly, the Libre save is a lot smaller than the 365 one. 233 v 499 KB.

Got to say 365 ain't my area of expertise!

Bit of a long shot, but try going into devices and printers, set a printer to default.
    Have seen some documents go looking for networked printers that don't exist anymore.

Windows is attempting to contact a resource that is not always connected to the PC on which the Office applications are installed
    So once its saved in a different format, via a different program the looking may stop. While Office 365 and Libre save the same file in a different size, the fact its so different sounds a bit like Libre had removed hidden data.

Eventually got it to load (slowly) by dbl clicking the file rather than opening from Word. After saving it and letting word change to newer settings it loads OK now. I did disable trust settings (it was trying to load in protected view) but after getting the save going I re-enabling them and it still loaded OK.

Flicked it back to friend to try out.

Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    Eventually got it to load (slowly) by dbl clicking the file rather than opening from Word. After saving it and letting word change to newer settings it loads OK now. I did disable trust settings (it was trying to load in protected view) but after getting the save going I re-enabling them and it still loaded OK.

Flicked it back to friend to try out.

Fingers crossed!
    Sounds a little like it was converting on the fly.

I got a couple of Documents I use some of the time, they were created originally in Office 97, when opening over the LAN they do take a little longer to load than any Newer documents.

Yea, that is what I was thinking but it kept timing out and win 10 said bye bye to it, mission aborted.

Can't re Member

If you have a current 365 subscription there you should be able to do a new install. I had to do it a couple of years ago (on advice from MS) and it solved my issue (whatever it was at the time)

The problem started on a friemd's new comp and new 365.

My testing is on a brand new 365 trial install.