Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Has anyone use linkedin before??

I have been on Linkedin for a few years, but I have never really need to use it till now.

For these who have used it before, I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about it??

Is it a bit like Facebook?? or is it more professional for professionals to keep in contact?

Also I have head you can find jobs there or get seeked for a job?, has this happened to anyone?

Can't re Member

Default Re: Has anyone use linkedin before??

I've been on it for years. It used to be for professionals to keep in contact but now it's just like Facebook. I've never had or personally known anyone to get a job directly through it but I'm sure it makes agencies more relaxed about a person if they have a "good" LinkedIn profile. It's probably better to be on it than not if you're job seeking but resist the temptation to post on it please, please ...

I was on it briefly but closed my account when they started selling the information, I found it to be a waste of time and just gave up but then I don't have Facebook either

Quote Originally Posted by Ofthesea View Post
    . I've never had or personally known anyone to get a job directly through it ..
    +1
    Good way to get spammed by agencies though.
    Ex-pctek

pcsourcepoint

I been a member for a few years, and many managers and tech staff I worked with are members. Came in handy when I had to connect with 2 of them for job references. Because they don't have facebook accounts, being older (in their 60's) I think, and not really the social types. But most of them are listed on Linkedin.

Agencies seem to try connect with me. I don't care anymore - though many - including new agencies are run by professional women - ex media/business types. I have had interviews from them. But calibre of their job seekers clients are quite high, as I have been told.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Hmmm.
    Some agency contacted me through it.
    With a job in Hamilton requiring skills I don't have.
    When I questioned him, he said one of my references lives there (true) so therefore I would be interested in jobs there.

Uh, really?
    Just as well none of them now live in Outer Mongolia is all I can say....
    Ex-pctek

I've had emails about people wanting to connect with me there, but I've never had an account and the names weren't familiar. Reeked of spam.

I'm on LinkedIn solely as a means for old friends to track me down and make contact if they wish, and it has on rare occasions paid off.

From a career networking point of view, which was its initial (claimed) purpose it's of zero interest to me, and I've had unwanted attempts at contact from people desperate to either recruit others, or trying to raise their own profile by having thousands of obscure contacts.

Largely its been a painless time with LinkedIn (despite a reported security breach), with a very small number of nuisance emails.

The way I look at it, the more landlines and phonebooks disappear, the more a contact profile on LinkedIn and/or Facebook will be justified. Outside of that though, I'd rate both services as borderline waste of time.

My email and associated data was among the 117 million that were stolen from LinkedIn a few years back (Russian hacker).

Check your emails to see if any were/are compromised

https://haveibeenpwned.com/
    Last edited by bevy121; 02-06-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post

The way I look at it, the more landlines and phonebooks disappear, the more a contact profile on LinkedIn and/or Facebook will be justified. .
    Hmmm. I think phone books being obsolete is a good thing. They were just a target for telesales people and scammers.

Ditto the need for the online equivalent.

Friends and family already know your contact details.
    Ex-pctek