Thread: NOT Win10

Talking NOT Win10

E-Mail from a mate that I thought might interest some on Henry Fords Aeroplanes.

The long hanger at Willow Run, Michigan has a 90 degree turn in it so Henry Ford would not have to pay taxes in the next county. That short end is being saved and restored today as a museum. The big hanger doors are still operational after all these years.

This is one of the best and most informative clips about a great American accomplishment, thanks to the Ford Motor Company during WWII.

A Ford Airplane! AMAZING!

Production began here 6 months BEFORE Pearl Harbour! Henry Ford was determined that he could mass produce bombers just as he had with cars, so he built the Willow Run assembly plant and proved it. This was the world's largest building under one roof at the time. This film will absolutely blow you away -- one B-24 every 55 minutes! Ford had its own pilots to test them. And no recalls!

ADOLF HITLER HAD NO IDEA THE U.S. WAS CAPABLE OF THIS KIND OF THING.

VIDEO
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Default Re: NOT Win10

Really? Ford?

The Ford Flivver was a single-seat aircraft introduced by Henry Ford as the "Model T of the Air".[N 1] After a fatal crash of a prototype into the ocean off Melbourne, Florida, U.S., production plans were halted.

B-24, also called Liberator, long-range heavy bomber used during World War II by the U.S. and British air forces. It was designed by the Consolidated Aircraft Company

The Consolidated Aircraft Corporation was founded in 1923 by Reuben H. Fleet in Buffalo, New York, the result of the Gallaudet Aircraft Company's liquidation and Fleet's purchase of designs from the Dayton-Wright Company as the subsidiary was being closed by its parent corporation, General Motors.

?
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post

ADOLF HITLER HAD NO IDEA THE U.S. WAS CAPABLE OF THIS KIND OF THING.
    I bet he did :-) He knew he had to win the war quickly .
    Even the brits were out producing the Germans in front line fighter airplanes by the end of the Battle of Britain

Germans went with too much high tech slow to manufacture . Russians went cheap and nasty & simply over-ran them with numbers built .
    Could say the russians actually won the war for us.
    Last edited by 1101; 28-05-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Quite a few wheel marks in the grass, short of the runway.
    Amnesia International, remembering for those that can't.

No trees were harmed in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks for the post B.M.

Ever since my first aircrew licence in the 70s I've had a keen interest in aviation. Despite that, I've have to admit this is the first I've heard of Ford and their involvement in the Willow Run plant. I also admit I checked today's date too, and yes, we are way past April

A Bomber an hour! Incredible.

I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    Thanks for the post B.M.

Ever since my first aircrew licence in the 70s I've had a keen interest in aviation. Despite that, I've have to admit this is the first I've heard of Ford and their involvement in the Willow Run plant. I also admit I checked today's date too, and yes, we are way past April

A Bomber an hour! Incredible.

My pleasure Wal.

Iíd never heard of this either and thought it was a leg-pull from a mate.

However, Google suggests it isnít, but I still canít get to grips with how such and event hasnít been widely publicised.

Yes, one Bomber an hour, unbelievable.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post

Yes, one Bomber an hour, unbelievable.
    throw enough money & workers at it and anything is possible :-)
    What surprises me is that the US seemed to be the only country that came out of the war with a booming economy.
    Despite the US spending more on weapons & development than anyone else . Look at how much the development of the B29 bomber cost them , just the design stage .
    B29 : "The program ultimately cost $3 billion dollars, versus $2 billion for the Manhattan Project that developed the nuclear bomb."
    Thats 1940 dollars . Staggering .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    throw enough money & workers at it and anything is possible :-)
    What surprises me is that the US seemed to be the only country that came out of the war with a booming economy.
    Despite the US spending more on weapons & development than anyone else . Look at how much the development of the B29 bomber cost them , just the design stage .
    B29 : "The program ultimately cost $3 billion dollars, versus $2 billion for the Manhattan Project that developed the nuclear bomb."
    Thats 1940 dollars . Staggering .
    The A bomb project was not really optimised for mass production, also the costs of the Manhattan Project could be expected to rise a bit if they had to meet the same go-around criteria as the B29 after a bad landing.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.