Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Default Where's My Upgrade ???

I tried this to see what version I had and then asked for the latest upgrade.

You can see what I have and what the results were - and I believe I see that I will now have an automatic upgrade - is that so?

PHP Code:
    joseph@SurfersMintu1 ~ $ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available
    Distributor ID:    LinuxMint
    Description
    :    Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
    Release
    :    17.3
    Codename
    :    rosa
    joseph
    @SurfersMintu1 ~ $ update-manager -c
    The program 
    'update-manager' is currently not installedYou can install it by typing:
    sudo apt-get install update-manager
    joseph
    @SurfersMintu1 ~ $ sudo apt-get install update-manager
    [sudopassword for joseph
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information
    ... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed 
    and are no longer required:

linux-image-extra-4.4.0-112-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-116-generic
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following extra packages will be installed:

python3-distupgrade python3-update-manager ubuntu-release-upgrader-core
      ubuntu
    -release-upgrader-gtk update-manager-core update-notifier
      update
    -notifier-common
    Suggested packages
    :

gir1.2-unity-5.0
    Recommended packages
    :

software-properties-gtk apport-gtk
    The following 
    NEW packages will be installed:

python3-distupgrade python3-update-manager ubuntu-release-upgrader-core
      ubuntu
    -release-upgrader-gtk update-manager update-manager-core
      update
    -notifier update-notifier-common
    0 upgraded
    8 newly installed0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
    Need to get 933 kB of archives.
    After this operation5,143 kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do 
    you want to continue? [Y/ny
    Get
    :1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main python3-distupgrade all 1:0.220.10 [104 kB]
    Get:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main python3-update-manager all 1:0.196.25 [32.2 kB]
    Get:3 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main ubuntu-release-upgrader-core all 1:0.220.10 [24.2 kB]
    Get:4 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main update-manager-core all 1:0.196.25 [8,280 B]
    Get:5 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main update-notifier-common all 0.154.1ubuntu3 [164 kB]
    Get:6 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main update-notifier amd64 0.154.1ubuntu3 [46.7 kB]
    Get:7 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main update-manager all 1:0.196.25 [545 kB]
    Get:8 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk all 1:0.220.10 [9,318 B]
    Fetched 933 kB in 4s (230 kB/s)                        
    Selecting previously unselected package python3-distupgrade.
    (
    Reading database ... 335581 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack .../python3-distupgrade_1%3a0.220.10_all.deb ...
    Unpacking python3-distupgrade (1:0.220.10) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package python3-update-manager.
    Preparing to unpack .../python3-update-manager_1%3a0.196.25_all.deb ...
    Unpacking python3-update-manager (1:0.196.25) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package ubuntu-release-upgrader-core.
    Preparing to unpack .../ubuntu-release-upgrader-core_1%3a0.220.10_all.deb ...
    Unpacking ubuntu-release-upgrader-core (1:0.220.10) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package update-manager-core.
    Preparing to unpack .../update-manager-core_1%3a0.196.25_all.deb ...
    Unpacking update-manager-core (1:0.196.25) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package update-notifier-common.
    Preparing to unpack .../update-notifier-common_0.154.1ubuntu3_all.deb ...
    Unpacking update-notifier-common (0.154.1ubuntu3) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package update-notifier.
    Preparing to unpack .../update-notifier_0.154.1ubuntu3_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking update-notifier (0.154.1ubuntu3) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package update-manager.
    Preparing to unpack .../update-manager_1%3a0.196.25_all.deb ...
    Unpacking update-manager (1:0.196.25) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk.
    Preparing to unpack .../ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk_1%3a0.220.10_all.deb ...
    Unpacking ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk (1:0.220.10) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1) ...
    Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0:i386 (2.40.2-0ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0:amd64 (2.40.2-0ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for gconf2 (3.2.6-0ubuntu2) ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu1.1) ...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.10.1-0ubuntu2) ...
    Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1.1) ...
    Setting up python3-update-manager (1:0.196.25) ...
    Setting up python3-distupgrade (1:0.220.10) ...
    Setting up ubuntu-release-upgrader-core (1:0.220.10) ...
    Setting up update-manager-core (1:0.196.25) ...
    Setting up update-notifier-common (0.154.1ubuntu3) ...
    Setting up ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk (1:0.220.10) ...
    Setting up update-manager (1:0.196.25) ...
    Setting up update-notifier (0.154.1ubuntu3) ...
    joseph@SurfersMintu1 ~ $ 

"Vegetarian" means you're a lousy shot.

Default Re: Where's My Upgrade ???

No. There are no automatic upgrades of anything.

It will notify you, you can choose the level(s) you want to be notified of, you can choose what, or all, you want to upgrade, but it's still a choice.
    Not sure about your update manager but mine doesn't have a preferences option for go ahead and do them without asking.
    Ex-pctek

Has to be set but according to this article its do-able.

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1217

Theres also this article, the guy points out how, and the pros and cons of doing so.

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

Item B2 may be of interest as its mentioned about things not working ( your wireless comes to mind)

Mind may not be such a good idea, NO Vendor is safe from Hackers, even Mint's distros got caught a couple years back

hackers-planted-a-backdoor-inside-a-compromised-version-of-linux-mint.html
    Last edited by wainuitech; 16-05-2018 at 05:02 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Looks like there's a trigger to do it - possibly next boot-up?

PHP Code:
    Setting up python3-update-manager (1:0.196.25) ...
    Setting up python3-distupgrade (1:0.220.10) ...
    Setting up ubuntu-release-upgrader-core (1:0.220.10) ...
    Setting up update-manager-core (1:0.196.25) ...
    Setting up update-notifier-common (0.154.1ubuntu3) ...
    Setting up ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk (1:0.220.10) ...
    Setting up update-manager (1:0.196.25) ...
    Setting up update-notifier (0.154.1ubuntu3) ... 

"Vegetarian" means you're a lousy shot.

Joe,

Are you following a guide? You need to be better informed, so don't jump head first into things. Many guides are not specifically written for Mint. (I would like to change that, but work takes up most my time)

Mint's update manager is mintupdate. I have no idea what update-manager is but it could be ubuntu's one looking at the packages its pulling, so you should not install this (too late I see) because it will ultimately leave you with Ubuntu or screw your Mint up.

sudo apt-get -y purge update-manager

but it maybe too late...

You should use Mint's update manager, the shield icon in the lower right corner and not apt-get, the information in terminal seems to be overwhelming for people not accustomed to Linux and is what Mint is trying to do, direct people away from using terminal.

When it suggests that a program is not installed, it's just giving you a heads up but it's not explaining what it does, it just thinks you know what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Mind may not be such a good idea, NO Vendor is safe from Hackers, even Mint's distros got caught a couple years back

Linux Mint's site was broken into through a vulnerability in WordPress.

What was amazing however is how far they took that exploit to recreate an ISO with a backdoor and to match the same MD5 checksum. That effort alone made this attack far different to just a normal exploited WordPress.

I can't remember how it was discovered but it took them a while to react to the full-scale of the problem, since they never knew they were compromised as well. All downloads were suspended, the site went down. It was really hectic.

I am not sure why Mint had used the breakable MD5 hash but that has been fixed now by using SHA256. There's still some issues that need to be solved, mainly for user piece of mind. Mint lost a lot of trust in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Has to be set but according to this article its do-able.

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1217

Theres also this article, the guy points out how, and the pros and cons of doing so.

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

Item B2 may be of interest as its mentioned about things not working ( your wireless comes to mind)

Honestly Wainui your efforts to discredit Linux as as whole and Mint in particular are abysmal.

Your first link is 5 years old and your second 8 years old and refers to Mint ver 13 when we’re up to 18.?? as far as I know.

T
    ags: update automatic unattended
    Created: 5 years ago.
    Last edited: 5 years ago.
    Reviewed: 5 years ago.
    Each release receives bug fixes and security updates for about 18 months (or 3 years in the case of "Long Term Support" releases such as Linux Mint 13). The development team is also focused on the latest release.
    Created 8 years ago and refers to Mint 13.

As for the Hack, in Mints case the hack only affected, as you say a couple of years ago on one Saturday:

the hack only affects those who downloaded the Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon edition from the Linux Mint website on Saturday.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Honestly Wainui your efforts to discredit Linux as as whole and Mint in particular are abysmal.

Your first link is 5 years old and your second 8 years old and refers to Mint ver 13 when we’re up to 18.?? as far as I know.

T

As for the Hack, in Mints case the hack only affected, as you say a couple of years ago on one Saturday:
    Awhhhh whats the matter BM its OK for YOU and to rubbish EVERY Windows post with negative comments yet when someone post some instructions which still stand true and you dont like them, you pack a sad -- and may I remind you YOU post links years old to windows posts. And you think thats ok. If you even bothered to read the 2nd link, you'll see I didn't write the truth, its well known that NO OS is perfect. If its so perfect Why haven't you got that web cam working yet on Linux.

Again there is no rubbishing in either links, only helpful suggestions. To bad your to thick to actually figure that out.

Just a well theres others in this forum who actually do know what to do, you're certainly of no use.

You cant take your own medicine -- You're a pathetic excuse for a human. Go cry a river No One really cares what you think.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 16-05-2018 at 08:39 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post

T

About as good as your personal crusade against Windows when the majority of the world has no issues, Wainui's post was just pointing out that even Linux OS's can have problems and if they ever become mainstream will be targeted even more.

But of course you will ignore all that in the world where BM knows absolutely everything there is to know. I'm surprised you are still on here knowing that you can never be wrong on any subject.

Hi Joe,

I'm behind my computer so I'll explain the process of performing a Distribution Upgrade (from what I remember), e.g. from 17.3 to 18.x. I'm not on 17.3 but the method should be the similar as 18.x.

In the bottom right hand corner should be a shield. It could show a blue circle with an 'i' in it. This means you have updates available. If that is the case you should update your computer first. You should only download levels 1, 2 and 3. When you get more experienced and more risk taking, you can do level 4 and 5. You may have to fix your system after level 4 and 5 updates however. I recommend you leave these levels out for now.

Left click on that shield and it should open a window called Update Manager. The actual program name is mintupdate. You can see in Help > About what name it has. What should be checked in your upgrade boxes should only be the levels 1-3. You then just click Install Updates, enter your password and let it do it's thing.

To see the terminal equivalent, only for the curious but please do use Update Manager (mintupdate), it is far safer.

sudo apt update
    sudo apt list --upgradable
    sudo apt upgrade

update refreshes your list of updates. It checks your sources for any available. mintupdate does this not long after it starts up.
    list --upgradable shows what is available to be updated.
    upgrade begins the process of downloading and updating all the upgradable downloads in that list.

You may notice more than what mintupdate shows. This is because it shows some technical aspects for the upgradable software, like libraries they need etc. mintupdate does not show you each one, but shows you it as a whole package with the total size worked out under one or more of your items to be updated. So do not assume there's a difference between the two methods. mintupdate wants to simplify it so to not overwhelm you.

So if you're fully updated now, you should see the shield has a big green tick in it now. Excellent, so back in Update Manager. This is where my memory will have to serve me. In the Edit menu should be a Distribution upgrade of some sort. I can't remember what it says sorry. You click that, it'll do a bunch of things, and you'll see that you have updates, etc to install (I think) and then the process of upgrading to the next version 18.x happens (or so it should). That's as far as I can take you with that process without going back to 17.3 and performing the actual steps.

The terminal equivalent is

sudo apt dist-upgrade

or

sudo apt full-upgrade

Both commands are equivalent, but I suggest you do not do it this way. Even though I show you these commands, it's sort of to also help you in understanding what mintupdate is doing behind the scenes. It calls on the same programs to do exactly these things but in a manner to keep you safe.

Remember when you upgrade distributions, software that comes default on 18.x is not installed on upgrades. Only things that are needed to run 18.x and your old software gets updated, while some that are no longer needed get removed. You can be left with some issues, like when Mint decided to change mdm to lightdm. These are desktop managers, what you see on your login screen. When Mint decided to use lightdm over mdm, they sort of forgot about the mdm users so when they upgraded, the packages they needed to have the background pictures show, was not present so you ended up with a black background (no pretty pictures) but you could still log in. Not a breaking point, it still worked, but some wondered why it went ugly.

Hopefully, you can perform an upgrade this way. If you like to have terminal information, then run mintupdate in terminal and you'll see a lot of information about things that happen behind the scene.