Thread: CD/DVD to TV

Default CD/DVD to TV

Hi All
    One of the ladies in this rest home is Dutch & has been sent a CD full of family photos. She has tried playing it on a Sharp TV & Sharp CD/DVD player. It does not work on her TV. It works on my Toshiba laptop. Other DVDs she has bought play ok on her Sharp gear. Is the problem with the Disc or the player? Different formats?
    Would the problem be with the TV setup or the Disk

The cd is a SKC CD-R. In properties it does not show which program was used to record the photos in Holland. I am guessing a computer, naturally, from the "Photos" folder.

What can I do to make it happen? Thanks. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Default Re: CD/DVD to TV

Sounds like it's just a data disk full of photos, not something a DVD player would be guaranteed to support although some might.
    To play via the TV & DVD player you'd probably need to copy the photos onto a PC and then use DVD authoring software to create a slideshow in DVD format.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Sounds like it's just a data disk full of photos, not something a DVD player would be guaranteed to support although some might.
    To play via the TV & DVD player you'd probably need to copy the photos onto a PC and then use DVD authoring software to create a slideshow in DVD format.
    Yes it is a cd full of phots & I agree probably downloaded from somebody else's in Holland.

Can you elaborate on your paragraph "To Play" 2 please.

Are you saying to copy it onto my laptop. Then change the Format to something else. Would that be MP3 or MP4. Any further advice on how to do that? Thanks. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

It works on my Toshiba laptop.
    No Need to convert anything, why make it more complicated than it should be.

Simple solution -- Connect the Laptop to the TV, Via a HDMI or VGA Cable, (Most Laptops will have HDMI older ones will have VGA or both) Change the TV to what ever HDMI port the Laptop is plugged into or VGA cable (often listed as PC on the TV source menu).

The TV will then basically become a large Monitor. Put the CD into the Laptop, and play with the inbuilt Software in Windows.

Another option is if you have a chromecast, that will do the same with no cables.

If you wanted to make it more permanent so it will play on the Sharp CD/DVD player, then sure use converting software to basically create a Slide Show.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 13-05-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Wanderer

Similar, there is something like a Photo CD. It sounds like Windows 10 can do this also. User your laptop or PC that has a CD Writer, and recreate a proper Photo CD with a blank CD/DVD.

http://www.dummies.com/computers/ope...in-windows-10/

CD and DVDs are going out of date with computers these days. If you have a smart TV you can just use a USB stick, there is no need to buy blank DVDs and then create it.

To make it easier if you can view each photo on your Laptop from the CD-R,right click on each and save to jpg and put in to a Folder and transfer to a USB Drive(if the TV accepts a drive,most do)

Try on a couple first to see if it works first

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa John View Post
    Yes it is a cd full of phots & I agree probably downloaded from somebody else's in Holland.

Can you elaborate on your paragraph "To Play" 2 please.

Are you saying to copy it onto my laptop. Then change the Format to something else. Would that be MP3 or MP4. Any further advice on how to do that? Thanks. PJ
    Sorry I can't offer much more, it's not something I've actually done since the earlier days of DVD writers.
    DVD or CD Authoring software is software for creating various formats of disks additional to what windows has built in, in the old days I always had a free version or 2 of Nero or Roxio that came with my hardware and used the wizards in those programs to create disks. Both are commercial programs though and I haven't touched either in a very long time to know if they are still around or any good.

Yes I was suggesting changing the format to a DVD slideshow as opposed to a data disk, but you need some software for that. Someone on here might have some suggestions as to what to use, sorry I don't.

I did a bit of googling and found this one https://www.dvdstyler.org/en/
    I can't vouch for it but it looks simple enough.

Just be sure to opt out of Avast and any other optional software while installing.