Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Chrome can't get Google sites!!

An update - not expecting a solution as heaps of googling and comparing with other OK comps has been fruitless. But wouldn't say no to suggestions!

I updated win 10 to 1803 and nothing had changed.

I then clean installed from a USB drive and, guess what, nothing changed!! Same using Chrome Canary.

The problem is security access to google sites. If quic is enabled I get quic errors and no page displayed. If I disable quic, I get long "Establishing secure connection" msge then a page fail. So, both methods of establishing a security handshake are failing.

Having spent the best part of two days trying to figure out why 1 of 4 comps should be different with the same OS and chrome browser I am now stumped. Cross checking TLS tick boxes reveals no apparent difference.

Can't get my head around this weird situation. I can't stand being beaten so I will keep trying but this is a real doozy.

VoidMaster

Why not try a portable version of Chrome? That will eliminate any install problems or not and may work anyway:

https://portableapps.com/apps/intern...hrome_portable
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks for the suggestion. No change using the portable app.

Something changed a short while ago as this problem is recent. Just can't fathom what on earth could carry through a new OS install and new chrome install with new chrome profile.

VoidMaster

Try an older version of Chrome portable it may be that the new versions of Chrome have some change causing the problem, you could also try SRWareIron Portable, see if that works, very close to Chrome but without the spyware.

I use this all the time as my main browser for eMails, have been doing so for years, works well:

http://www.srware.net/en/software_sr...n_download.php

Both the portable and install version are on the page.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks, zq, but I have stumbled on the solution. And I mean stumbled! Somewhere I saw someone having a similar problem with the network adaptor so that got me trying to update the Dell Optiplex 780 Intel 82567LM-3 Gig network adaptor. MS "updated" it to a dvr 4 years older!

Then something (not sure what it was as I don't believe in divine guidance!) had me looking at the adaptor properties again where I unticked support for IPv6. Bingo, that did it!!!! All fine, now.

Don't ask me why Edge worked and not Chrome, but it was something to do with security checking of google sites. Oh, and yes, I was able to re-enable Quic as well.

Just, maybe, some poor sod with this problem will find this post. Just wasted the best part of three days, myself.

Cheers and thanks for the replies, guys.

VoidMaster

Your repair strategy explanation is ambiguous to me, was it ticked (Ipv6 on) and you unticked it (IPv6 off) to fix or was it unticked (IPv6 off) and you ticked it to activate IPv6, I thought it was now recommended that IPv6 be on by default these days.

Ah, I thought unticked it off was clear. Yes, it was ticked on but now it is off. On is the default in my experience.

No idea why this one comp got its knickers in a twist over it being on.

Maybe/probably no one is interested but there is an ipv6 DNS and that wasn't working on the offending PC.
    If you go to ipv6.google.com you will find whether there is a problem with your adaptor and google sites where ipv6 is involved.

At least a google enquiry will find this and possibly save someone hours of time!

I have certainly learnt a few things.

Cheers.

VoidMaster

Here's the link:

https://ipv6test.google.com/

Here's the test:

https://test-ipv6.com/

I get 0 out of 10 lol.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 05-05-2018 at 11:30 PM.

I get page can't be reached yet this comp runs ipv6 and hasn't shown the problem my wife's comp had!