Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do I tell these little ... arachnids to p---- off?

I've been pretty much spider free for years except for the occasional daddy long legs that I usually catch and banish to the garden.

Lately though, I've noticed many tiny spiders - we used to call them money spiders - making their home in my home. I'm not particularly fussed about them but they seem to spin a lot of very fine hard to see webs connecting gaps between wall and bookcases, for example, or the legs of side tables.

I don't want to overreact and cry "infestation" but I'd welcome comments from anybody who's had a similar problem and how they humanely overcome it. Anybody?

I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

VoidMaster

Default Re: How do I tell these little ... arachnids to p---- off?

Just get out the fly-spray and blast them, they belong in the garden not in houses.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Flamethrower?

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Seriously, bad mistake in getting rid of all the daddy long legs.... they do a great job inside your house of keeping the other spiders at bay. Since we’ve been keeping the daddies, we’ve had about 90% less white tails ! We do occasionally get some small “jumping spiders”. But they’re fine, I just put them outside.

We do cull the daddies sometimes, as they’re pretty harmless, but mostly leave one or two in the corners of each room as “watchguards”.......

LL
    _____Nothing is hidden that cannot be revealed______

I can't deal with spiders. Call me arachnaphobic, but not one is allowed to live when I see them. Almost as bad as roaches.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Quote Originally Posted by lakewoodlady View Post
    Seriously, bad mistake in getting rid of all the daddy long legs.... they do a great job inside your house of keeping the other spiders at bay. Since we’ve been keeping the daddies, we’ve had about 90% less white tails ! We do occasionally get some small “jumping spiders”. But they’re fine, I just put them outside.

We do cull the daddies sometimes, as they’re pretty harmless, but mostly leave one or two in the corners of each room as “watchguards”.......

LL
    Thanks LL, the kind of advice I was hoping for. I'll try it.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    Flamethrower?

Ken
    You have issues.

I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I can't deal with spiders. Call me arachnaphobic, but not one is allowed to live when I see them. Almost as bad as roaches.
    I'm with you bruvva. One big hairy spider and I'm squealing like a *****. Man Card gone.

I'm a fan.
    Spiders eat more insects than birds, if not for them we'd be overrun.

Daddy Long legs eat ants actually. I discovered this, as we have an ant problem, watched them chasing the ants all over and eating them. Sadly it' doesn't take long for a spider that size to be full.

We have grey house spiders too, they eat the nasty paper wasps.
    And garden spiders etc etc.

White tailed - there are an awful lot of spiders that look similar to these, all the scared of spiders friends I have claim to have them, but me, who looks closely at them, have yet to see one.

Here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_50sPyfgVA4
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    I've been pretty much spider free for years except for the occasional daddy long legs that I usually catch and banish to the garden.

Lately though, I've noticed many tiny spiders - we used to call them money spiders - making their home in my home. I'm not particularly fussed about them but they seem to spin a lot of very fine hard to see webs connecting gaps between wall and bookcases, for example, or the legs of side tables.

I don't want to overreact and cry "infestation" but I'd welcome comments from anybody who's had a similar problem and how they humanely overcome it. Anybody?

Hang a picture of Judith Collins, or Gerrymander Brownie in each room. That'll scare anything from a large dragon on down to microbes clear out of the county. A statue of Rodknee Hyde will have a similar effect although the departing may leave their lunches behind, that might be overkill.
    Two problems though, the treatment also repels humans powerfully, and in no way could it be called humane.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.