Thread: Kombucha

Default Kombucha

My brother gave me a bottle of this fermented soft drink yesterday - its the weirdest tasting drink I've ever tried. Anyone familiar with it? Personally I think it needs sugar, and a more pronounced ginger flavour would work.

For a great fermented non-alcoholic drink I crave home-made ginger beer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha
    Last edited by Greg; 22-04-2018 at 04:21 AM.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Default Re: Kombucha

I've heard of it.
    Personally I'm not into these type of things.
    Ex-pctek

It's supposed to be health promoting, many wild claims around. Western medical research says not, and there are potentially serious bad effects as well.

I was reading a little blurb on kombucha in a coffee bar yesterday...I really need to get out more....but I think it said it is a tea that takes ages to ferment.
    There is always something that is going to make us all so healthy, and the producers wealthy. We've had goji berries, turmeric and goodness knows what. Someone stated yesterday about olive oil not being as good for us as is promoted. Two of us (cynics) said together....has anyone told the Italians and the Greeks?
    I am with you on the homemade ginger beer, Greg, although I haven't made it for years.

After reading the wiki Greg linked to. Smoking pot is a safer option

Tumeric has been pretty well researched and does have many beneficial effects and it is cheap, I buy mine from the local Indian shop $17.50 for 750 gms.

Probably not too much gouge component in that. I get suspicious about miracle pills though.

Quote Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
    Tumeric has been pretty well researched and does have many beneficial effects and it is cheap, I buy mine from the local Indian shop $17.50 for 750 gms.

Probably not too much gouge component in that. I get suspicious about miracle pills though.
    Turmeric is fairly safe and has possible benefits for some.....however, anyone who takes losec or similar is usually advised not to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marnie View Post
    I was reading a little blurb on kombucha in a coffee bar yesterday...I really need to get out more....but I think it said it is a tea that takes ages to ferment.
    Someone stated yesterday about olive oil not being as good for us as is promoted. Two of us (cynics) said together....has anyone told the Italians and the Greeks?
    I wouldn't bother cooking with extra virgin olive oil, that's a waste because you lose much of the benefits as well as the taste. I reckon regular olive oil is good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Marnie View Post
    I am with you on the homemade ginger beer, Greg, although I haven't made it for years.
    My brother makes it too, but has also been slack lately.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

[QUOTE=Greg;1275736]I wouldn't bother cooking with extra virgin olive oil, that's a waste because you lose much of the benefits as well as the taste. I reckon regular olive oil is good enough.

For cooking I mostly use Rice Bran Oil. It's light and odourless. I like to have a small bottle of good olive oil for a dressing or something special.