Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wanderer

Default Any of you guys that have grown out of games?

In the day, we played games since our 386, the original Civlisation, Wolfenstein, Leemings, Police Quest etc. Having played all the other Civilisation versions mostly before, I bought Civlisation 6 last year and tried to use it on my laptop (i5 2540M) since my PC was so dated (2009). Now I can play on my PC. It doesn't seem to have the same appeal to me. I had more appeal last year when I bought the game or was that late 2016.

I tried some free demos, Ghost Recon etc .. Multiplayer games is just running around. Some other have a story that is better but Ghost Recon the Division is much harder to get thru each stage just to appreciate the game's story.

Are you guys still playing games and is the appeal just as strong, has it waned or ...?

Some part of me thinks, shouldn't I be outside in the sunshine and the wind, seeing different things than be inside and staring at a box and if so do it quickly like watching a movie.

Cheers

Default Re: Any of you guys that have grown out of games?

When I had my Commodore VIC 20 I was into playing games. Nowadays I find playing games to be a boring waste of time.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300

It's a personal thing, turning 50 this year and still very much a PC gamer. Some games don't interest me any more and I don't get so invested in games that I do play these days, but I still play regularly.
    Far cry 5 is next on my list, really enjoyed the last couple of those and the most recent tomb raider and wolfenstein games.

I didn't quite start with a VIC 20, it was a commodore 64 for me. Then an Atari ST before the original wolfenstein 3D convinced me I needed a PC.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

I'm into sims, driving & flying.
    Also the occational game of solitaire on my mobile when stuck in a waiting room.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    In the day, we played games since our 386....... It doesn't seem to have the same appeal to me.

Are you guys still playing games and is the appeal just as strong, has it waned or ...?
    LOL.

We started on a C64, had that 8 months, got the Amiga. Got Amgia 2000 and I lost count at around 19. Kind of difficult to keep track as I stopped buying entire PCs in 1998, and just upgraded them from then on.

Anyway...the question. Kind of.

What put me off mostly was Steam.
    I had HL2 Orange Box and a friend ripped it for me. Took a while as it was right through it, not a start check or such.
    But he did.

And the difference in performance was noticeable to say the least.

Then Steam started the forced updates, immediately it was Steam Update...waiting...
    Then Game update. I think it was Oblivion? The forced update trashed the game and it took ages for the patch to fix the patch.

After that I went right off it. After all I wasn't even playing multiplayer online.

And as for that...yeah...ok....but I started playing with people right there in the room with me, all of us piled in and taking turns by twos. Someone online you don't see and just chat or whatever, it wasn't the same.

Would I still? Maybe, son is still going....he got pickier, back then, we played everything.
    But now, been there, seen that.

So they have to be good or it's oh another X, Y, Z. Not that well done. Or buggy. Or something.

And Steam killed the second hand market. That sucks.

So...although there are a few, and they are few now, that I would, I basically stopped. And then the Win10 business, having done it for son I decided then and there, the end. So linux.

Gaming on Linux? There is Linux Steam, there are some not bad games, but nah. Bugger it.

I garden, I read - still read a lot.
    I go out with GD.

I watch them play games.

That's it.
    Ex-pctek

I certainly still game (in my 50's), but I am slowly losing any interest in the older games that I started on, in favour of the higher performing, higher res modern options.

I recently played Doom, Doom2, Final Doom, and still loved them, but the graphics was very clearly far inferior to todays options.
    I've got dozens of 5.25" floppy discs of old games that haven't been touched in over 20 years. Chances are, even if I had the hardware now to read them, they wouldn't play on such different hardware. Given I've gone 20 years without finding the desire to read these disc or to migrate them onto modern media, then I've got almost zero qualms with dumping them in the bin.

For fans of old arcade games, MAME (multi archade machine emulator) is well worth a look.

Still love games. But mostly too busy doing other stuff these days. Occasionaly still do single player Age of Empires
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

I bought (brought? - cripes, can't remember which one to use) Far Cry 5 a few weeks ago, only because I'm a franchise addict. Not a great one, finished already.

That's my gaming finished until Red Dead Redemption 2 released later this year.

Grown out of games? Pretty much, apart from a specific few.

I gave up PC games some years back.
    Mainly because of all the time it wasted . And I would often get bored 1/2 way into the game & just stop, I'd rarely finish the game . It becomes too much of the same thing after 2 hours or so.
    I now waste that time watching other media :-)

Last PC game I bought was Duke Nukem (the newer version, not the original )
    I tried a few XBOX games , but just couldnt cope with the controller after years of kb/mouse

Steam, yep that help kill the experience for me.
    Install from DVD, connect to steam (as required) , then have steam download 500M++ of updates for the game , so i couldnt even play till that finally finished : taking forvever on ADSL .
    Last edited by 1101; 23-04-2018 at 10:18 AM.

I got a C64 Mini last week, enjoying the trip down memory land. Yes, I could get an emulator and play on the PC but it's warmer in the living room

Currently playing Boulder Dash and Bounder. I've loaded Spy vs Spy on but need a refresher on the controls.