Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Thumbs up The Correct USB Slot Appears To Be Critical.....

Greetings from Rightsideup Land!

First - I am enjoying myself in Linux-Land - I think it might be sumpthin like Upsidedown Land but it's right outside of Chicago.

Once upon a time --- > I had a lot of trouble with my WSKY WiFi USB adapter - anyone remember that? Well, I do/did/done.

What I am finding is that WHICH USB slot you use is kinda critical to adapters and such.

If I use the USB slots on the front of my tower - I have mucho troubles keeping my WSKY running. It dies at no predictable time - usually when I need it most or in the middle of a download.

If I put the WSKY into my powered USB extension hub - if runs OK - ONCE.

Then I can never get it running again unless I pull it out and let Ubuntu use the Columbus Method ('DISCOVER' it all over again). Very annoying!

But - if I have it in a rear slot - that is: it goes directly into the motherboard - it seems to be happiest there.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Oh - well - I speak about that like it's cast in cement - it ain't!

Sometimes it takes me a few reboots to get it up-n-running. But it never just poops out and quits when I have it running.

So-o-o - ultimately I am very happy with the whole system as I have it running right now. I even got a 32" flat screen that had a bad solder joint - which I fixed - and it is H U G E!!!!.

No more 18" screens for me!

If I have to get a ski mask (I already have a big pistol) and get one with a 5-finger discount - I would! Well ---- no, not really ---> come to think of it.

Say this fifty times: "Linux is my/your friend" and alternate the pronoun to suit your particular needs.

Thanks all who stuck with me here on F1.

Oh yeah --- one other thing.....................................

..........wait for it .................................................. ...............................

........................................... scroll on down.............................................. ................

................................................. my next windmill is my Raspberry Pi and a HTML cable to the 32-incher!

And - the BEST-est part is that you all are invited to help!

Ain't that gonna be fun!?! There'll be cake and cookies and sodas - no alcohol, because if you serve alcohol all ya gets it s room full of drunks.

I'm thinking of youse guys here - in Upsidedown Land.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Default Re: The Correct USB Slot Appears To Be Critical.....

Front ports often share a supply but rear ones are individual hence why they work better

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Oopsies!

I forgot to mention a tiny - little - almost insignificant problem when I am plugged into a rear USB slot......

I cannot set into concrete my desire for the tower to shut off once and for all when I want to shut down. If I use a soft-switch on the control panel or even hit the power button --->I get a reboot after I think everything's started going cold.

When that happens - if I actually catch it that is --- I just have to hold the power button in until the fans shut down.

I've set, reset and re-reset the BIOS to not reboot after power-down - but it just defies me and reboots anyway.

This does NOT happen if I move the WSKY adapter to a different area USB slot.

Howcomeszat?

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

I bought myself a rtl8812au WiFi adaptor, to see how easy it would be to install.

From Mint, their repo version is outdated, so that wasn't a good start, but I built it from the latest driver version I found on github and it worked fine for kernel 4.15, which is the latest at this moment for Mint.

The thing is you want to make sure you remove all old installs you may have done, so it won't conflict.

So the latest version I found 5.2.20, my instructions to install are:

git clone https://github.com/gordboy/rtl8812au.git
    sudo cp -r rtl8812au /usr/src/rtl8812au-5.2.20
    sudo dkms {add,build,install} -m rtl8812au -v 5.2.20

You may want to reboot at this stage.

I may package it but I don't want to maintain it, so rather not as it was really just to see how easy/difficult it would be to install.