Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Power Cuts

Default The Power Cuts

So which selfish entitled ars****e stole the generator from Waimauku doctors???

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...astating-storm

Apparently some lady in Swanson is offering her place - https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/103...klanders-still
    -without-power-36-hours-on-and-more-strong-winds-on-the-way
    Swanson resident Tanya Vranjes offered hot showers, meals, hot water and the option of charging electrical devices.

And various others. A restaurant offering meals free, gyms etc offering showers.

One thing though, how do you know about these offers if you have no power?
    It was on the news, but we had no TV, radio, we don't have smartphones, so we knew nothing while ours was off.
    Ex-pctek

Default Re: The Power Cuts

We have a transistor battery operated radio so we were able to keep up with the news.

We had our Wednesday evening by candlelight.

We also have our motorhome parked out the front and it has battery operated lights and TV, and gas operated heating so if it really got cold we could have gone out there.

We were fairly lucky as our power came on again on Thursday so it was not too bad, but we really feel for those who are still out.

There are trees down all over the place. We are fortunate that we have no big trees near us so we had no worries about trees falling down.

Interesting to note that the storm occurred at the same time of the year that the storm that sank the Wahine.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    One thing though, how do you know about these offers if you have no power?
    It was on the news, but we had no TV, radio, we don't have smartphones, so we knew nothing while ours was off.
    Buy a $20 batt powered transistor radio
    We all should have one in our emergency kit.

When the powers out, we'll need the radio to hear the call to rise up en masse against our Lizard overlords :-)

Stealing the generator from the Doctors :some people are just scum. Its just looting in a time of crisis

isn't everyone supposed to have a battery FM radio for emergencies? and if not battery, then hand crank.
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

Quote Originally Posted by psycik View Post
    isn't everyone supposed to have a battery FM radio for emergencies? and if not battery, then hand crank.
    I thought so but we are quick to forget once any emergency is over. We bought a couple of the flashlight/radio devices several years ago. One is also solar powered and both have crank handles, the old dynamo system. They work well and have been put to good use when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by psycik View Post
    It does not need to be an FM radio. There are plenty of AM radio stations. One of the best, especially for news, is National Radio on 756 AM.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

nah, don't need a radio.......why?
    Wouldn't make the power come back any faster. If it dragged on son would have told me anything I needed to know, he has a smartphone.

We were going to get his gas BBQ out (stored in our garage), and I had got hot water off the one friend still with power so we weren't in dire need of anything.

Cold, but not freezing

Should there be some major disaster, well a radio still isn't top of the need list.

We have water tanks so could drink it if need be.
    And be having a lot of BBQs, never mind gas, our own one is wood, we have titree still.
    I would have started bbqing the freezer contents....

I'm just saying, I'm sure some probably had no idea, good on the swanson woman, shows some people are nice - whereas the generator thief, what an arse, that's important medicines he/she didn't think about.

it's why people should have woodburners, happened to a friend in Canterbury, small town. Never mind the power bills, she had a power cut for 3 ddays in winter second year there. After that she got the woodburner put in, so she can cook on it too.

I don't have the A)Money to do it B)Space in house to fit one and C)Snow in winter anyway.
    A Blanky would do....
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    it's why people should have woodburners, happened to a friend in Canterbury, small town. Never mind the power bills, she had a power cut for 3 ddays in winter second year there. After that she got the woodburner put in, so she can cook on it too.
    Some councils really want those banned. A total ban was proposed for the Ak region, thankfully never got too far
    because greenies dont really care about those on low wages struggling . Just ban the woodburners & let them eat cake.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Some councils really want those banned. A total ban was proposed for the Ak region, thankfully never got too far
    because greenies dont really care about those on low wages struggling . Just ban the woodburners & let them eat cake.
    Here in the provinces we were issued with an ultimatum about our log fires. There are areas that have bad inversions here in HB. They have to be replaces with a compliant, low emission new model when the property is sold. It is a good deal that will eventually be not applicable in a couple of years time.as there was a grant given which bought the price down heaps.

We put one in last year and gave our old one (in perfect condition) to our son who is not in our area but still in HB.

I asked the installer why I just couldn't put a blob of weld on the vent control to stop it being closed fully which as far as I know is the only difference between the old and the new. He said that that would probably solve the problem but under current legislation, that if that was done, it would have to be sent to Auckland to be certified as it would not conform with standards. I asked what about certifying an engineer here in HB and he said that being a Council/Government outfit they wouldn't have had the brains to think of that. Smart lad.

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

They can be tested in Nelson too, SWMBO used to work for the testing place there. Anyway why buy a radio that runs in batteries when we all own one already, its in your vehicle.