Default Just funny, cant stop laughing!

I have been helping an elderly lady with her computer lateley. Her husband died around 18 months ago. She wanted to get into his laptop to try and recover his emails and contacts. They are both with Kinect through Trust power.
    She rang me tonight saying that her brother had changed her over to Mercury to get a better deal.... wt! He is in charge of her finances apparently, but, is completely and utterly computer illiterate. Well between them they have stuffed up her internet connection and all her emails, and now she cannot connect to the Internet, or send and receive any emails?

LL
    _____Nothing is hidden that cannot be revealed______

Default Re: Just funny, cant stop laughing!

Wow, I can't see anything funny about it, poor woman! Her brother's a real plonker!

LL - you need to get together with him, call Mercury, get brother to authorise you to speak with Mercury on behalf of the account holder (either your friend or her brother), and get Mercury's helpdesk to talk you through sorting it for them.

[Edit] I think I got the wrong end of the stick.

Does your friend have a medical alarm or something connected to the power in the house? If Mercury are providing power but the ISP remains the same, then you may need to speak to their helpdesk, not Mercury's. Sorry.
    Last edited by Greg; 09-04-2018 at 01:14 AM.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Oh no, I don’t mean it was funny that her husband had died, of course not. Just that her brother had cancelled Trust Power and changed her over to Mercury because he said it would be cheaper. He had no idea that the bills she was getting included her internet.
    She actually thinks it was funny, because she said he was trying to be helpful. The lady told me that her brother is in his late 70s and doesn’t have the Internet or a computer and hasn’t a clue about any of “that stuff”!
    She’s going to phone TrustPower today sometime and try to sort it out.

It’s not really up to me to sort it. I don’t know what happens to the internet connection in that situation. Maybe she can keep her Kinect account and still be with Mercury? I’ve got no idea.
    She will get back to me, I have her husband’s laptop at my place at the moment. She doesn’t know what his email password is, and can’t find it anywhere, so she was going to ask TrustPower if they could let her know.

LL

Quote Originally Posted by lakewoodlady View Post
    Just that her brother had cancelled Trust Power and changed her over to Mercury because he said it would be cheaper. He had no idea that the bills she was getting included her internet.

LL
    It probably is.

Trustpower consistently come out at the expensive end for power in Powerswitch. I know a couple who work there. They have no idea about computers either.
    One, she thought she did because of working there (and the tech training? hah, what tech training), she "fixed" a neighbours PC....
    So what did she do? Cleaned it up...removed "stuff from startup". Unfortunately she wasn't in startup, what she did was delete all the icons from the desktop that she thought this person didn't need.
    That person had a habit of saving files to the desktop.

Yes, she still works at TP.

Yes they con people by adding net but the net price isn't anything special either.

Go on Powerswitch and check properly to see who is best for her.

And net, all depends what she has now I guess but I'm switching to Voyager very soon, landline and net, all the addons are free.
    Better price, and better service.
    Ex-pctek

Of course you do need to beware the special deals showing on Powerswitch.
    The ones were you get a discounted rate for a set time, then tied into the contract for longer, then pay a higher rate.

So eliminate those and then make the decision.
    There is a customer Service ranking too, although that's through Consumer. Here:

Electricity and gas suppliers

Customer Service

Flick Electric (55)
    96%

Powershop (651)
    94%

Energy Direct NZ (175)
    89%

Grey Power Electricity (164)
    87%

Tiny Mighty Power (86)
    86%

Energy Online (332)
    85%

Pulse Energy (114)
    80%

Nova Energy (325)
    79%

Trustpower (893)
    75%

Just Energy (91)
    75%

Meridian Energy (932)
    70%

Mercury Energy (1274)
    70%

Contact Energy (1651)
    67%

Genesis Energy (1558)
    64%

Globug (8389)
    73%
    Ex-pctek

Thanks for that info piroska. Yeah, TrustPower are pretty bad, but I don’t think the lady wants to have the hassle of changing things, only her brother managed to do it for her!
    I did try to get her to change to GreyPower Electricity once, but she didn’t want to join.

LL.

I have her husband’s laptop at my place at the moment. She doesn’t know what his email password is, and can’t find it anywhere, so she was going to ask TrustPower if they could let her know.
    That's usually easy to get. As long as they have an actual email program on the computer, EG, Outlook, thunderbird, Outlook express etc. Download and run mailpassview.
    The Web page, down, scroll down to the bottom- two links either the zipped file or install. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mailpv.html

WARNING-- Disable any Antivirus software -- Some think its an infection, its NOT its just the way it works AV's think it is. it will give you all the details, user names, passwords everything.

Secondly -- As long as the email haven't been deleted they will still be there, you don't need an internet connection to see them (if on the Computer) even if the program has been deleted, the actual mails will be there, just different places for different OS's / Programs.

The internet -- should still work, may need to alter the modem/router settings unless supplied by the ISP. The emails generally wont work anyway unless they are web based (outlook.com, gmail etc) Some ISPs wont keep the email account if you are not paying for it anymore, and most don't allow relaying to happen. ( this is when you are with One ISP, but using another's email details.)

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    That's usually easy to get. As long as they have an actual email program on the computer, EG, Outlook, thunderbird, Outlook express etc. Download and run mailpassview.

or. In Firefox, if they have the bad habit of remembering password under Security you can see saved logins, click show passwords.
    Ex-pctek

Nope, just Kinect webmail

Switching probably closed down the internet service with Trustpower, so if they keep the Kinect mailbox open they will probably charge for it like Spark do (if they even offer that option).