Default Mountain bike tyre advice

Mountain bike tyre advice
    My wife's tyres are nearly worn out 27.5 CSTtire.com, which tyre would suit we are are in our mid seventies and we ride mostly off road ie Waikato rail trails and local rides Papamoa and TePuke to Paengaroa and back!
    The original tyres were fitted for us on both our bikes to roll better and be easier. But the front tyres tend to squish out a bit on loose gravel as they are getting worn I guess.
    I don't want to spend a fortune on tyres but obviously would like more grip, I can't understand how MTB tyres are so expensive compared to car tyres?
    I have looked at Burkes cycles and found some that would hopefully fit our price bracket.
    https://www.burkescycles.co.nz/colle...t-xc-tyre-27-5
    These look about the same as we have fitted now.
    Or something like these, and would they be knobble for our sort of riding
    https://www.burkescycles.co.nz/colle...tion-tyre-27-5
    Open to advice please as its beautiful weather at the moment for cycling and we try to get out as much as possible.

Default Re: Mountain bike tyre advice

I would also look at Wiggle.co.nz or torpedo7 both have good prices and torpedo7 now have actual stores too, tyres are very much a personal thing, I can't comment on MTB tyres as I don't currently own one just riding my road bike

At those prices, what have you got to lose? Either tyres should be fine on rail trails if you want a little more grip than road tyres. Personally, I use wide road tyres when riding rail trails, 35-40mm wide on a touring bike. Handles most terrain on rail trails since the surfaces are usually hardpacked. Worst surfaces I have struck were on the Otago Rail Trail where there were some rocky sections and some sandy sections, but the road tyres were still OK.

VoidMaster

I always get all our bike tyres and inner tubes at The Warehouse, if that size is not on the usual shelves ask them to get out the wheeled ladder and look up above.

Just looked at your links and those tyres don't seem expensive to me, so forget The Warehouse and just get those.

I would get these: CST XC Tyre, 27.5
    Last edited by zqwerty; 07-04-2018 at 01:49 PM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

I have a big problem riding a bike with a fractured - and unresolved - (fractured) pelvis - even after all these years it is not healed and causes me significant pain. It feels like I'm riding a log splitter. Yes - Surfer Joe is somewhat, slightly physically challenged.

Enough about me.

But - I would have one of these in a heartbeat - if I could ride one, that is.

I rode one for a few minutes INSIDE the store once - (We have a place called: "Super Wal-Marts' here that are acres large inside - mostly filled to the gills with merchandise, but with some wide aisles) - that let me ride one a bit. At least no-one said anything .... officially!

But, enough about me.

It's Saturday morning in Rightsideup Land and I am mad and I ain't gonna take it any more! I gotta get this offa my chest!

I am in no way advocating the riding of bikes on highways and/or streets ---> along with shaving their legs and showing all their inadequate - er, genitalia, by wearing spray-painted-on sissy pantaloons - unless all bikers are assigned to wear a target on their back.

You see, bicycle riders here in the US seem to exercise their 'rights' to ride on highways and streets --- not obeying the traffic laws and generally ill-behaving as if they are exempt to playing fairly in traffic.

They should be fair game. Open Season. Non-Endangered Species classification.

They will ride several dozen at a time in a 'club' with many assigned (or drew the short straw) to ride abreast each other, totally blocking a whole lane of traffic.

The Highway Departments have most graciously built and have legally-established 'bike-paths' that generally run the same way that major highways run.

This at taxpayer's expense.

I - a tax paying US motorist get to drive on highways putting up with big semitrucks, Euro-econo Boxes, sissified Hybrids and everything in between.

But No! I can't drive on their special, precious, cute bike paths! I say that this is Un-American!

Equal representation by taxation for all.

Let's face it ---> bikes do NOT have 'guaranteed inalienable rights' to use the highways --- as they do NOT contribute to the general highway/street funds by paying motor fuel taxes.

Ya know --- horns don't work to make them pull over to allow my three ton vehicle pass - all I get from them is a single finger salute.

I sorely miss my diesel station wagon; a 1982 Pontiac Bonneville Grand Wagon w/ a 5.7 Liter V8 diesel that could REALLY smoke when I put my foot into it! It was great fun smoking out a bunch of bi-wheeled, health-and-fresh-air-phreque-enviro-psychos with a gagging and belching treatment from my smoke cloud that would do a WW-2 PT boat proud.

But, enough about me.

US bikers are a pampered! They see themselves as 'special' and 'legally', 'morally' and 'environmentally' above reproach --- if not above the laws of the highways and byways by totally ignoring them.

That's a bunch of mamba-pamby legalese to make them feel better about their sissy selves and me to feel bad about myself.

As I see it - two or more bicyclists would be declared an illegal gathering, subject to SWAT Team interdiction for posing a serious national threat!

But, enough about me.

Hence the targets on their backs - perhaps with a score number to indicate the amount of defiance to the laws that this particular biker has chosen to ignore.

Whack a biker with a high score and you get a reward from The Automobile Club Of America and a free hamburger at the fast food facility of your choice.

But, enough about me.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    I always get all our bike tyres and inner tubes at The Warehouse, if that size is not on the usual shelves ask them to get out the wheeled ladder and look up above.

Just looked at your links and those tyres don't seem expensive to me, so forget The Warehouse and just get those.

I would get these: CST XC Tyre, 27.5
    Thanks for the Warehouse tip, I bought 2 of the 27.5 x 2.1 for $20.00 fitted ready for my wife to try Monday. At that sort of money worth a try if she doesn't like them I will get some CST XC Tyre, 27.5.

Micky I agree with the comment above that the prices in the examples look good to me. I'd hesitate going to The Warehouse, knowing their reputation for lesser quality products unless named brands.

Of the two links you gave us, I reckon tread style in # 1 looks more suitable for sedate riding, and # 2 for a bit more aggressive speeds and cornering etc. Despite # 1's lower 'bumps' there are more of them, so I'd guess longevity of each would be about the same.

Just my thoughts from someone who's never ridden let alone owned a mountain-style bike before.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

For bike tyres, it is extremely important to select small mountains.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Eh?
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.