Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swollen legs

Default Swollen legs

In the last week my lower legs from just below my shins and my feet have become really swollen! I know this is something of an old-folks topic, but thats what I've become.

Anyway, was wondering if this is a symptom of my illness, or of the drugs I'm taking. I take a raft of prescription medication, including uber potent pure morphine pain relief. A friend is either talking through her hat, or she may be on the right track that it could also represent gradual kidney deterioration or imminent failure, and who's father had the same symptom just before he died.

Of course I'll bring it up with the doc but that will be many days away given how fully booked they are for a while 'cos of the holiday period. And of course although my feet feel like they're gonna burst, it ain't serious enough to go to A & E.

Any thoughts please?

Cheers.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Default Re: Swollen legs

Make your Doctor appointment now!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    In the last week my lower legs from just below my shins and my feet have become really swollen! I know this is something of an old-folks topic, but thats what I've become.Anyway, was wondering if this is a symptom of my illness, or of the drugs I'm taking. I take a raft of prescription medication, including uber potent pure morphine pain relief. A friend is either talking through her hat, or she may be on the right track that it could also represent gradual kidney deterioration or imminent failure, and who's father had the same symptom just before he died.Of course I'll bring it up with the doc but that will be many days away given how fully booked they are for a while 'cos of the holiday period. And of course although my feet feel like they're gonna burst, it ain't serious enough to go to A & E.Any thoughts please?Cheers.
    I presume you have a VIP card for the A&E. I would just go there. Oh that was a serious Q about the card
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Keep your legs elevated until the doc can look at them and give you an indication why they are swollen. Also try compression stockings,
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"

I would also call Healthline a call - 0800 611 116 - you can speak to a registered Nurse and get advice on whether to see someone today or if you can wait for your GP tomorrow. You should be getting priority appointments at your GP and not have to wait days.

Totally agree with Jen on both subjects - Healthline and priority with your GP.
    Now-if I could just remember where I left my brain...

Quote Originally Posted by R.M. View Post
    Totally agree with Jen on both subjects - Healthline and priority with your GP.
    Absolutely. Just do it.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

Anyway, was wondering if this is a symptom of my illness, or of the drugs I'm taking.
    Any thoughts please?

More likely the pills. Not the morphine.
    Husband got that when he had his lung infection, one of the pills side effects.

It can be kidneys, it can be a lot of things. Can also be lymphodema.

Bummer, Greg, it's not fun is it. Husband says he's getting old and it sucks. (70 shortly and not so hot these days, everything is a strain)

Remember people, Greg is already under doc care.......
    Ex-pctek

Remember people, Greg is already under doc care.......

But he has too fight his way past the receptionist!
    Now-if I could just remember where I left my brain...

Greg. I am on morphine as well but probably much less than you. Have you been under Hospice care, if so, talk to them. My feet & ankles swell as well. For me the morphine tends to lower my pulse rate, because of that I sometimes get dizzy. As well that I am not getting good circulation low down due to low BP also being part Paraplegic I cant move around much. After dinner, Miday, I lay on my bed for an hour with feet higher than my body, that helps, so does massage.
    Have you Googled Morphine, you will get a suprise.. My Maryann had a similar problem & I used to rub her feet & ankles to try & get the blood moving, she would often doze off whilst I was doing it. PJ

ps, are you ready for another letter & pictures, what do you want to know about, what was your job? pj
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)