Thread: Mouse freezing

Default Mouse freezing

I'm running Windows XP and have a PC Company optical mouse. A few times now it has frozen on me - no response at all, cursor stuck in one position on screen. I've tried control-alt-delete with no success - it brings up the task manager but without any response from the mouse, that's not much help. The two recent freezes have been while using Word and Picture It - so the responses in other mouse freeze posts haven't been any help as they have occurred when using games where there has been a lot of clicking involved. Both times it has frozen when not even being used - it's just been inactive when I tried to use it next. Could someone please give me some advice on what may be causing this problem - is it a fault with the mouse or is it to do with the applications I am running? From memory, on both recent occasions the stated applications have been the only ones running. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Mouse freezing

Knit a wee woolly jumper for it.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

There always has to be one, doesn't there! Made me laugh though. If I didn't have a sense of humour I'd be a pretty sad person so I'll let you off this time! However, if there is anyone out there who can give me some other advice regards solving this problem, I'll be waiting...

Is it a USB mouse or a PS2 type?

Have you checked the Device Manager tab in Control Panel/System (at least I think it's there...I don't have XP) to see if there's a conflict? Sometimes IRQs are used by 2 different devices at the same time, causing probs).

Try another mouse if poss as it's the best way to determine whether or not your rhodent is the miscreant.

8:*3

Thanks Andy, it's a PS2 mouse. Seems to be working a whole heap better since changing mouse pads. Pardon my ignorance, but I'm fairly new to all this and I have to ask - what's an IRQ? I found the control panel side of things, but wasn't sure what I was looking for - regarding a conflict - once I got there. Unfortunately I can't change mice as my other one is a Mac mouse. Sorry to ask a no doubt dumb question, but hey, at least I'm not too embarassed to ask when I don't know something! Thanks for your help.

Hi Faye.

You probably dont have the mouse problem anymore, but I just read this article and I thought I would let you know anyway.

Does your cursor sometimes appear and disappear, move in the wrong direction, or change size and shape? It could be a sign of mouse trouble, which is often due to a conflict with your graphics card's driver. If you use Windows 9x or Me, there may be a solution simpler than installing an updated driver. Open Control Panel, double-click the System icon, choose the Performance tab, and click the Graphics button. Move the slider next to Hardware Acceleration one notch to the left. This change disables some graphics capabilities, but it may be the solution to your rodent problem.

Cheers.

Thanks Graeme, the mouse problem hasn't recurred - but having said that, it had only frozen two or three times since I bought the computer in November so that doesn't mean it won't! As for the other things, no, all mine has done is frozen - the cursor stays in one spot, doesn't change size or shape, doesn't disappear or move in the wrong direction. I think it may just be a lack of activity makes it think I don't need it anymore!