Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: iPhone 6S Plus 128GB - what's it like?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I currently use a Galaxy S4 Mini which I'm perfectly happy with,
    I used to be just the same .
    But after going to a big(ish) 5.5" screen phone, I'd never go back to small phones.
    Its just a much better user experience in general, and makes the phone much more usable for websites, email, car GPS, facebook, youtube etc etc . More like a small tablet

The S4 Mini will be using an obselete, unpatched ,theoretically vulnerable version of Android. It will never get any security patches .
    At least Apple update & patch their phones .

Thanks both. I understand now that the iPhone takes a nano SIM, whereas the S4 uses a muni SIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    At least Apple update & patch their phones .
    On that note I feel no concern about security; I can't imagine any need for security updates. But what's your opinion of the iOS? I think the one I'm getting is iOS 9 or10, but the latest is iOS 11. I've read very mixed opinions on the wisdom of upgrading - do you have an opinion?
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Old guy

Unless your sim card is quite old you will see it is set up so you just break of the outside edges of it to turn it from a mini to a nano.
    I personally always update my gadgets and have never had a problem doing so. In your case if it did turn to custard you could just revert to using your mini S4.

Yeah my thoughts too. Though I made a mistake - it's the 64GB version (which sounds way more than adequate to me), but which is why she's upgrading to the 128GB
    I made another mistake - it is in fact the 128GB. My daughter upgraded to 256GB>

Meanwhile it should arrive tomorrow (Daughter poster it from her home in Aus). Courier advised it arrived in Auckland and cleared customs on Saturday morning. So assume it'll ship to Napier today, and deliver tomorrow. Can't wait actually - I've done a heck of a lot of research on the gadget, and the more I read, the more I want it.

Its actually still available brand new off the shelves of some stores eg Warehouse Stationery. And at quite a high price too - 1000 bucks! for the 32GB version!

And thankfully its a decent silver colour, not the prissy 'rose gold', better known as pink! An established phone critic said shortly after its release (1st available here +/- early 2016) that hands down, the iPhone 6S Plus is the best smart phone in the world, regardless of brand or operating system Although I'm loving the large size, which features a 5.5" screen, and is commonly referred to as a 'phablet', its portability may be problematic. On the other hand, given that I don't get out much, it'll be perfect for use at home, and I'll simply take my Galaxy with me when I do go out.

I use text as much or possibly more than voice calls, so the screen size will be of enormous benefit. In fact it was behind my daughter's decision to pass this iPhone onto me - when she visited recently she saw me texting on my phone, and was sooo despaired at the sight of me fiddling with its minute keypad. Funny I never noticed it being a problem before! haha

As for the phone's other features... well I downloaded the user manual, and man oh man it'll take weeks if not months before I know what they are, let alone learn how to use them! So far the only major features I'll find useful, are its outstanding camera/s, and its highly regarded GPS system. There's no radio. No big deal. What I'm looking forward to is trying out the 3D touch screen. It shows different features about what you touch on depending on how hard you press. It has three levels of pressure touching. And each of the pressure-sensitivities are adjustable for how much pressure you prefer to apply. Sounds marvelous.

Well 'nuff about the damn phone. Darth Vader make way!

May the force be with you!

Ken

Re this phone's sim card, from what I've checked online it's the same as the ones used by, for example, my Galaxy S4 mini. Is this correct, meaning that I can simply swap it over to use the iPhone, and keep my existing phone number?
    There is no difficulty for you to switch to your iPhone, you can even get some guides from Google , For the sake of data security, you have reason to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Isserasy View Post
    For the sake of data security, you have reason to do so.
    I'm not stuffed about "data security".

Latest is I now got the iPhone working like magic. Its just learning this new device that's the hard/fun part. Its an amazing device, and though I'll never used 9/10'ths of its features, functions and capabilities, the camera and GPS are fantastic! Can't believe the quality of the camera images, as good as you can expect to get from something that's not a dedicated camera, and this i-device is already a few years and several generations old.

I quickly got used to its large surface size. In practical use its a dream to use, with the only (very occasional) downside is carrying it around, with no pocket large enough to hold it unless I'm wearing a jacket/coat of some sort (which of course is okay for the weather we've had and expecting for winter).

Just learned that my daughter's upgraded phone is the iPhone X. Many of the reviews and critiques I've read rate it as the best in the world, alongside the Galaxy S9+.

Old guy

Sounds like you have become an Apple Fan Boy Greg. I am pleased that it is working well for you and you certainly got it at the right price.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    Sounds like you have become an Apple Fan Boy Greg. I am pleased that it is working well for you and you certainly got it at the right price.
    Thanks mate. But yeah, she's a slippery downhill slope towards becoming a Fan Boi. Treacherous to say the least!

I'm not stuffed about "data security".

Latest is I now got the iPhone working like magic. Its just learning this new device that's the hard/fun part. Its an amazing device, and though I'll never used 9/10'ths of its features, functions and capabilities, the camera and GPS are fantastic! Can't believe the quality of the camera images, as good as you can expect to get from something that's not a dedicated camera, and this i-device is already a few years and several generations old.

I quickly got used to its large surface size. In practical use its a dream to use, with the only (very occasional) downside is carrying it around, with no pocket large enough to hold it unless I'm wearing a jacket/coat of some sort (which of course is okay for the weather we've had and expecting for winter).

Just learned that my daughter's upgraded phone is the iPhone X. Many of the reviews and critiques I've read rate it as the best in the world, alongside the Galaxy S9+.
    Maybe you misunderstood me. "data security" is mean that to ensure the safety of phone data when someone wants to do something , as Greg said that he want to switch to iPhone