Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Acer Aspire problem

I have a Acer Aspire ES1-531-P4H4 which was in a continual repair loop.
    I managed to do a repair from a windows 10 DVD.
    I only lasted a short while before reverting to the same.
    It had heaps of third party software & all the usual bloatware.
    Rather than go for the factory reset we opted for a clean install.
    It initially boots from the DVD but wont start the installation.
    Comes up with a nice blue recovery window with the options "Enter to try again" OR "F8 for startup options"
    Neither of which do any thing.
    Thinking I could outsmart it, I booted from a Linux disk & formatted the drive & the recovery partition.
    However it still wont load beyond the recovery window.

Default Re: Acer Aspire problem

Normally Dont bother formatting the drive, it only adds trouble.

If you can boot it from Linux, or some other partition software, completely remove all partitions so the drive is empty. Then try booting from the DVD. You may have to tap what ever key is required to get to the boot menu options.

If its booting to a recovery window its not booting correctly / From the DVD. If the drives really blank there wont be any recovery to boot from.

Some, depending on the laptop, you'll need to use a bootable USB drive instead of DVD.

Being Acer, it should be one of the following --- F2 / Delete / F1 / Ctrl + Alt + Esc
    Last edited by wainuitech; 27-02-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Sounds like the Hdd is toast (apart from the recovery partition), or the cmos/bios is corrupted (flat battery?).
    "...anyone who expects a source of power from the transformation
    of these atoms is talking moonshine..."
    - Ernest Rutherford (1871-1937)

--------------------------
    "After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch."

[QUOTE=wainuitech;1273631]Normally Dont bother formatting the drive, it only adds trouble.

If you can boot it from Linux, or some other partition software, completely remove all partitions so the drive is empty. Then try booting from the DVD. You may have to tap what ever key is required to get to the boot menu options.

If its booting to a recovery window its not booting correctly / From the DVD. If the drives really blank there wont be any recovery to boot from.

Some, depending on the laptop, you'll need to use a bootable USB drive instead of DVD.

Being Acer, it should be one of the following --- F2 / Delete / F1 / Ctrl + Alt + Esc[/QUOTE

F2 gets into the Bios.
    Had to change the boot mode to Legacy before it will look at the DVD
    In Linux I did try to remove the partitions but it protested & claimed they were glued in or something similar.
    But I did successfully format all three of them, so was surprised when it wouldn't proceed with the install.
    Haven't tried a USB drive yet as I haven't got one ready & I'm almost at my data cap for the month.
    If you could advise on a method to copy the ISO from my DVD to USB, I will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by feersumendjinn View Post
    Sounds like the Hdd is toast (apart from the recovery partition), or the cmos/bios is corrupted (flat battery?).
    You're a little ray of sunshine.

In Linux I did try to remove the partitions but it protested & claimed they were glued in or something similar.
    But I did successfully format all three of them, so was surprised when it wouldn't proceed with the install.
    Nothing un-natural or strange about those actions. Something is still there. The actual boot/recovery partition doesn't have a drive letter, some software cant see it.

The Linux software more than likely didn't like the partitions (not uncommon). Had several times where gparted turned its nose up ( snobby bloody stuff)

Just a suggestion -- Download and install AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard https://www.disk-partition.com/download-home.html

Click on the Local Button. Once installed open the program, on the left Make Bootable Media. ( several options on menu after doing that)

Boot from that, on the partitions, right click each partition - Delete Partition / Apply. Don't be at all surprised if you see the hidden partition(s) you didn't see before There shouldn't be any need to change from UEFI since the DVD should accept it and boot.

Once all partitions are gone and the drives completely blank, THEN boot from the DVD with Windows, because there's no other boot options it should pick up the DVD.

If it stops then you may have a bad install Disk or the optical drive has a problem.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 27-02-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Adding to above, sometimes I have to remove a HDD, slave it to another PC then use the partition software Via Windows to remove the partitions from the slave drive. Put the Blank HDD back, and it boots fine from the DVD and installs.

DONT boot from the DVD if doing it that way, its a real "moment " @^**(%%#& If you delete the wrong drive by mistake ( been there-Done that)

"IF" it still wont install, there are other ways - Some Laptops can be a real PITA

Ah, that would appear to be a windows program.
    I can only boot the laptop in Linux.

Hard drive is not easily accessible in this model.

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
    Ah, that would appear to be a windows program.
    I can only boot the laptop in Linux.

You may be doing something wrong then. Change the BIOS back to Legacy, change the boot order to CD/DVD first, then it will boot the CD/DVD assuming there's nothing wrong with your media.

Done that countless times -- Changed to Legacy, boot from a CD, Wipe the drives completely clean, reset BIOS back to default (UEFI), boots from the Windows DVD perfectly fine -- Its designed to work on UEFI.

The Linux Media you're using obviously cant handle it, if as stated --
    Also, Make sure the Windows is X64, some laptops dont like a 32 (X86) bit OS
    Last edited by wainuitech; 27-02-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    You may be doing something wrong then. Change the BIOS back to Legacy, change the boot order to CD/DVD first, then it will boot the CD/DVD assuming there's nothing wrong with your media.

Done that countless times -- Changed to Legacy, boot from a CD, Wipe the drives completely clean, reset BIOS back to default (UEFI), boots from the Windows DVD perfectly fine -- Its designed to work on UEFI.

The Linux Media you're using obviously cant handle it, if as stated --

Also, Make sure the Windows is X64, some laptops dont like a 32 (X86) bit OS
    I assumed you meant change Bios back to UEFI & boot from DVD.
    I just tried that & it now comes up with "Press any key to boot with CD/DVD"
    But then come up with "Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed"
    My win 10 x64 DVD could be faulty but it's worked fine several times before.
    I also tried a win 10 x32 DVD & it comes up with "No Bootable Device"
    Also does the same with Linux DVD.