Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Differences between Samsung phones?

I'm not sure if this should go here or in chat, but anyway:

What are the fundamental differences between the various Samsung phone ranges? i.e. between the J xx, the A xx and the S xx? I realize that there are differences in performance etc within a range, e.g. an A5 has different capabilities to an A8, but what about an A8 vs an S8 (for example)?

I'm sort of looking for a new phone to replace my ageing Nokia 625, and it is very confusing.

All suggestions gratefully received.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Default Re: Differences between Samsung phones?

A8 and S8 share quite a few similarities, the A8 is a mid-high range priced phone compared to the S8.

Major difference is the S8 has a better picture, it's processing power is faster, it supports USB3 and faster/better network/band support, it takes better pictures and has a curved/edge screen. It's lighter too and also has a few additional features.

The A8 is flat screen, heavier and slightly bigger. It has android 7.1.1. It's still a good phone but not as powerful as the S8. Which does mean battery time is slightly longer too which isn't a bad thing.

However the S9 will be an improvement over both these phones.

A8 is like the S8's little brother, they both are ok phones and it really depends on what you would do with your phone, if picture and photos is your thing then the S8, if you want to save a few dollars and still have a phone that packs a punch the A8 is still up there.

I own an S8.

That's really good info, thanks.

Old guy

It depends what you wish to use a mobile phone for, If it is to mostly send texts and make calls on the cheaper versions handle that perfectly well if you wish to do a lot of web browsing, watch utube and take a lot of photos etc the more expensive version is the way to go in my opinion.

I'm a bit of one and a bit of the other. I make very few calls and very few texts. I mainly have a smartphone so I can have my contacts and calendar on hand and can sync them with Outlook on the PC. I also find the GPS useful on occasion and I have a few games to help pass the time in waiting rooms etc. I do some web browsing, but only when here is wi-fi available as I'm too mean to pay for data. A camera is not a priority but if I'm going to have one I want it to be half-decent.

Can't re Member

Use pricespy is one option to easily see the differences. Make sure your new phone is 4G capable

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm a bit of one and a bit of the other. I make very few calls and very few texts. I mainly have a smartphone so I can have my contacts and calendar on hand and can sync them with Outlook on the PC. I also find the GPS useful on occasion and I have a few games to help pass the time in waiting rooms etc. I do some web browsing, but only when here is wi-fi available as I'm too mean to pay for data. A camera is not a priority but if I'm going to have one I want it to be half-decent.
    That pretty much describes my usage as well Tony. My current phone is a Galaxy A5 2017 model and at around the third of the price of the top models I am more than happy with it.

Hi all,

Clive M is spot on as to value

I paid $699 18 months ago as an upgrade for an old S3 Galaxy, and it, an A5 does everything, from online Facebook, Net, to txt, and so on,and as a second computer, for half the price of a S8 and even my Soccer assessor son who gets a new, latest, phone every two years is impressed- and he lives on his phone

and it is a 4G as well

The camera is actually as good as the very expensive models, to boot

Go for it Tony, save your money

effie c
    Last edited by effie c; 25-02-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by effie c View Post
    Go for it Tony, save your money
    I think I probably will - unless inertia sets in and I keep putting it off until my Nokia actually dies on me...

Thanks everyone for the input.

When the note 7 came out I looked on trademe and got a Note 5 for $500, there's a risk buying second hand but the previous flagship model can often be found cheap when the new one comes out and will still be a nicer phone than current mid range models.
    Just a thought, second hand has it's down sides. I also sold my S3 for $250 so the whole upgrade was $250 - bloody cheap for a note 5. As luck would have it the note 7 went up in flames (heh) and the note 5 continued to sell new for approx $1k for quite a while.

I still have it and it's still an awesome phone, even still getting updates and running android 7.0. I think the biggest things for an average user with the high end models is the nicer screen and better camera, I never come close to needing the extra power.
    Anyway that's my 2c, new mid range or 2nd hand older flagship.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070