Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default TV sound - one going deaf; the other not...

I thought I might share this in case others are in the same boat and need a peacemaker... I am losing my hearing, and SWMBO isn't. This leads to unhappy "compromises" over the TV volume. It has taken me several years to solve this, but I have finally done it.

You all know that if you listen to the TV through headphones plugged into the headphone jack, you cut off sound to the speaker so others can't hear. I have been using a set of wireless headphones that are plugged into the RCA outlets on the Freeview decoder, which is fine if that is all we watch. However, the headphones have been useless for Chromecast, DVD player/recorder, USB memory sticks etc - they don't have access to anything other than Freeview sound.

We have a Samsung TV - the first of the Smart TV models from 2012. Not much of it is Smart anymore, as Samsung have slowly stripped out apps and support for any of the TV's Smart features. The TV does not have much in the way of audio out opportunities, but there is an optical audio out port, which does not cut out the sound or volume control for anyone using the TV's speakers. The TV is too old to support bluetooth on its own.

I have a set of Bluetooth headphones, and today installed a bluetooth transmitter that utilises the TV's optical port. It is a tiny box that plugs into the optical port and one of the TV's USB ports for power. It could also use 3.5 or RCA plugs if the TV has those audio outlets.

The bluetooth transmitter I bought is an Avantree Audikast (aptX Low Latency Bluetooth Transmitter, DUAL LINK, Digital Optical, 3.5mm & RCA Wireless Audio Adapter for TV, PC, 100ft Range, Bluetooth 4.2). The aptX Low Latency is important for sync between lip movements and sound (Dual Link means you can pair two sets of headphones if you wish). It was one of those simple installations - don't read the manual, plug it in, pair the two devices, and away it goes.

I can have the volume however I want it, and She can use the TV remote to set the volume to her preference, and it works with all sources, not just Freeview.

Apologies if this was blindingly obvious to any or all of you, but I hadn't been able to find any solution like this in NZ, and it is just another contribution to domestic peace and good order so I felt I had to share it!

Default Re: TV sound - one going deaf; the other not...

Wow never thought of that, will look at this.

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

I had this problem some years ago.........the answer is just a few dollars..............no need to go expensive.............

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5-in-1-...oJOPiW6PQ6siDA

These units are quite old now, still available cheaper than ever, but work ok. I've got 2 sets, one for wife to listen to TV, and modified the frequency of the other to the bottom end of the FM band. The normal frequency is 86 MHz, and it can be tweeked up to say 87.6 easily enough so it can be used with an FM radio. (So that the 2 units don't interfere with one another.) I can listen to streaming radio in the kitchen from my computer at the other end of the house
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"

Terry, that is a similar system to what I had already. The problem with it is how to connect to the TV so that you don't cut out the speaker sound for the other person, and access all sources of sound to the TV (Freeview, DVD, USB, Chromecast etc). You couldn't do it with our TV. Maybe you have different audio outlets that enable this system to work for you. We didn't until the addition of the optical audio feed to the bluetooth transmitter.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Terry, that is a similar system to what I had already. The problem with it is how to connect to the TV so that you don't cut out the speaker sound for the other person, and access all sources of sound to the TV (Freeview, DVD, USB, Chromecast etc). You couldn't do it with our TV. Maybe you have different audio outlets that enable this system to work for you. We didn't until the addition of the optical audio feed to the bluetooth transmitter.
    OK, should have realized the problem if I'd read properly. There are separate audio out RCA sockets on our "elderly" TV, so it was easy to achieve.
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    The problem with it is how to connect to the TV so that you don't cut out the speaker sound for the other person, and access all sources of sound to the TV (Freeview, DVD, USB, Chromecast etc). .
    Yes, my Bravia TV only has a headphone port, which cuts main sound out.
    Would love the wireless headphones to work, husband has it so loud...........

Can you perhaps do it plugged straight into the Sky box? Anyone know?
    There isn't a headphone jack, but I was thinking maybe the audio ports - to headphone adapter type thing?
    Ex-pctek

It would not be that difficult to get inside the set and disable the contacts that cuts off the internal speaker, by soldering them together so that they are alway connected .

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post

Can you perhaps do it plugged straight into the Sky box? Anyone know?
    There isn't a headphone jack, but I was thinking maybe the audio ports - to headphone adapter type thing?
    That's similar to what we have here. SWMBO doesn't mind the TV volume, but because the sound isn't that great I have problems with some of the softer toned audio and she says it to loud when its turned up..

I have a set of Logitech 2 in 1 speakers These ones connected to the Vodafone Decoder (same as Skys) -- RCA output going to the speakers via the standard RCA lead/plugs, with a 4 port type switch. With the Speakers off, the TV volume works, and turn on the Logitech speakers and the whole tone / sound output changes.

The only downside is when you turn off the TV, the audio from the decoder still plays, so its like listening to TV with no picture

The 4 port RCA switch is connected to the Decoder/TV, and computer under the TV so simply switch to what device you want to get the audio from.

The TV volume is turned down ( on purpose), but could be brought up if required. You can really hear the difference when the Logitech speakers are off compared to the TV speakers only.

If your headphones had RCA plugs even Via adapters - OR some sort of wireless connection Via the RCA plugs. ---- no reason it shouldn't work.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 21-02-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    I have a set of Logitech 2 in 1 speakers connected to the Decoder -- RCA output going to the speakers via the standard RCA lead/plugs, with a 4 port type switch. only.

If your headphones had RCA plugs even Via adapters - OR some sort of wireless connection Via the RCA plugs. ---- no reason it shouldn't work.
    Thanks.

Switch? What sort of switch? I need this switch? Got a link for one?
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Thanks.

Switch? What sort of switch? I need this switch? Got a link for one?
    The Switch I have was purchased a LONGGGG time ago from Dick Smiths. Its a dial version.

Just looking they are mostly push button these days, somewhere like Jacars. (Searched for RCA switch)

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/2-way-a-v-s...witch/p/AC1650

Edited: Found this one as well. https://www.jaycar.co.nz/3-way-audio-selector/p/AC1655

This is the one I use: ( pictures aren't to good, the battery low warning is flashing which means the camera is about to die till recharged)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0890 (Large).jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	8704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0891 (Large).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	8703

If the Headphones are 3.5mm something like this may be needed as well https://www.jaycar.co.nz/3-5mm-stere...aptor/p/PA3585
    Last edited by wainuitech; 21-02-2018 at 07:58 PM.