Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Talking Diggin' Linux Stuff - But A Question (again)

Let's say that I have a legal copy of XP-P (I do) and I want to 'liberate' one of the drivers for a piece of hardware --- say, f'rinstance : a printer driver in XP and run it in a wrapper called 'WINE' on Ubuntu.

Would I have to extract just the driver (don't ask ME how - and please remember that this'll fall onto Press F1 heads if this gets a GO) - and load that up, er - somewhere/somehow in Ubuntu and just run it like a vestige of Linux but via WINE?

Have I got something going here? Or is it impossible?

i don't mind CUPS - not really.

What am I saying? I dislike CUPS as it is severely crippled for my use. I have to 'send' anything I want to print as a PDF to my Android toys and PRINT from there.

It works - but I am getting Frequent Flier Miles on my documents that way - and it takes a lot of extra finger poking and pointing and saving as a PDF on two operating systems - and sending as a file - and all that junk.

Living - Learning - Linux.

Default Re: Diggin' Linux Stuff - But A Question (again)

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    Let's say that I have a legal copy of XP-P (I do) and I want to 'liberate' one of the drivers for a piece of hardware --- say, f'rinstance : a printer driver in XP and run it in a wrapper called 'WINE' on Ubuntu.

Would I have to extract just the driver (don't ask ME how - and please remember that this'll fall onto Press F1 heads if this gets a GO) - and load that up, er - somewhere/somehow in Ubuntu and just run it like a vestige of Linux but via WINE?

What am I saying? I dislike CUPS as it is severely crippled for my use. I have to 'send' anything I want to print as a PDF to my Android toys and PRINT from there.
    What has windows got to do with a driver? You get drivers from the manufacturers website.
    I guess you could try doing that, using a windows driver via wine but I doubt it will work in a practical way. How do you then get the program (Libre for instance) to print to wine?

Why not just use a proper Linux driver. I get there are issues with some printers.
    I had an Epson, it worked, but 2 sided printing was a pita, I made it work via Boomaga, but still had to manually turn the paper.

So I bought an HP. HP has the best support for Linux of all the printer brands.

And it did, it's perfect.
    Ex-pctek

That would be a good idea and all - but I bought this Canon on the premise that it was supported by L-based distros - but it ain't.

Buying another printer for the, oh ---> next foreseeable millennium or so - is not in the tea leaves.

I do know that Libre runs on M$, Linux and (shudder!) iOS.

The M$ run-ability is what I'm making reference to for this idea of shuffling documents back and forth from there to L/Ubuntu via WINE.

However, I do appreciate your input. It may not be what I want to hear, but I believe you.

What's the printer model?
    Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    38.7% of stasistics are made up on the spot, and 56.3% have a decimal point added to make them more believeable.
    Ryzen 5 1600 <> RX580 4GB <> 8GB Ram <> 240GB SSD <> 1TB HDD <> Windows 10

It's a Canon MF244dw.

I'm assuming you've tried the driver listed on the Canon USA website? https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...vers_downloads

Have you tried this? https://askubuntu.com/questions/8554...untu-16-04-lts
    Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    38.7% of stasistics are made up on the spot, and 56.3% have a decimal point added to make them more believeable.
    Ryzen 5 1600 <> RX580 4GB <> 8GB Ram <> 240GB SSD <> 1TB HDD <> Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    That would be a good idea and all - but I bought this Canon on the premise that it was supported by L-based distros - but it ain't.
    But it is...what is the exact issue you get with it?
    Ex-pctek

@SurferJoe46 - I'm sorry, but your idea of running the printer driver in Wine simply won't work. Wine just isn't designed to interface with hardware that way. Any Windows apps you might use in Wine if used to print, etc work through the Linux hardware drivers, not Windows. Wine is like a virtual machine running on the host OS (Linux) in regard to hardware access ... at least that's how I see it.
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    But it is...what is the exact issue you get with it?

About the only way i can print to this printer is by saving it as a PFD.... but it still will not commit the data to a piece of paper.

I've tried opening the PFDs I've saved and then hitting PRINT and nothing happens although Linux says it happened. I do not believe that Ubuntu can tell if the print job got printed after the data was sent.

Somebody in my neighborhood is probably wondering where all these strange print jobs are coming from that spew from THEIR printer!

I know I have the correct IP address - 192.168.1.117. I can query the printer manually - I've confirmed the IP - so it can't be that as it's problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod J View Post
    @SurferJoe46 - I'm sorry, but your idea of running the printer driver in Wine simply won't work. Wine just isn't designed to interface with hardware that way. Any Windows apps you might use in Wine if used to print, etc work through the Linux hardware drivers, not Windows. Wine is like a virtual machine running on the host OS (Linux) in regard to hardware access ... at least that's how I see it.

Yeah - I thought I was treading on thin ice there (NZ= gently coagulated water).

I see your bird got a tattoo. Does he drink that much to get blotto enough to get a belly tat?

Or --- just maybe your penguin is a she. That would be a simpler and prolly more correct assumption.

Not being PC here at all tonight!