Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Default Open Office On Antergos?

I find I don't really like Libre Office, and instead want to install Open Office.

Is it possible and will it actually look like OO on XP/Pro?

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Default Re: Open Office On Antergos?

Openoffice is discontinued, so you are taking a risk that it may be vulnerable.
    Antergos is based on Arch Linux, I know nothing about it.
    So I will advise you stick to Libreoffice if at all possible, and can offer little help with Antergos.

Best of luck, if you need help here is the Antergos forum
    https://forum.antergos.com/
    FTW

Cool Re: Open Office On Antergos?

Hmmmm. I thought there might be a problem - having not seen OO for a while. Is it ever gonna be updated and/or reissued as a stable. secure platform/app?

I really liked it a lot and it was more powerful than Libre.... many times over.

GOOD NEWS:
    I finally got my Canon printer to work on Ubuntu - it just forgets the IP address all the time and I have to 'remind it' and send it out to work. Kinda a hassle - but it's liveable,

I'm right now on Antergos and I like it so far - it even has the driver for my WSKY WiFi USB semi-dongle in it - it's running here as nice as can be.

You've always been a safe and good port of information, and I appreciate it very much.

I know that Ubuntu Studio always had the correct drivers in it for the WSKY too...... but for the damnation of me, I cannot get it to run on just plain ol' Ubuntu!

The Alpha Unit is the only WiFi device that works on it - although I am trying every once-in-a-while to get the native WiFi card to work ---- it's just stubborn, but so am I. It just might've met it's equal. Or not.

WEATHER REPORT for all youse guys, about Hamilton, Montana, U.S.A, - (should any of youse guys wanna visit anytime soon) .....

SNOW - although not in the 'classical' sense. We get a dusting of it once in a while. It IS GONNA BE COLD though for the next bunch of foreseeable days.

The temps (not in SILLIMETERS!) - is - (in the good ol' King's Nasal version of temperature readings) gonna be about 3F to 8F. That's cooler than I want - although last year when I was gonna get my first knee replaced, the pipes froze in the surgery suite at the hospital, and I got postponed for a ten-day period until the following conditions were met:
    1. The water - now frozen water, (NZ= ice) - was removed and new plumbing was installed.
    2. The COMPTROLLER got fired for turning OFF the heat for a long holiday weekend to save a few sheckles,
    3. The dust settled (the doc didn't want any strange infections in HIS surgery on me. That was good I think.

So-o-o-o - this week being very close to ZERO degrees Fahrenheit, is in the normal-to-warm range - at least according to my diary of things meteorological.

Hey youse guys - keep youse prehensile tails in shape - there's gonna be a few out-of-season sunspots. Prepare to meet some heavy, fast solar winds soon. Youse could not only fall off the upside down part of the globe, but get blown into space to the general area of a nice cherry red, electric car that is going to possibly fly-by - or actually run into (NZ= collide with) - the Red Planet: MARS.

The keys are in it and according to Elon it's fully charged too ---> and if you can overcome the Martians in an arm wrestling match for the car - it could be yours for the taking. No fair is youse uses your tails for extra leverage!

Be well all. Stay healthy since we're all getting a little older ever day.

Best wishes to youse guys!

Hold your hat, Openoffice is now Apache Openoffice and is still active so go for it!
    https://www.openoffice.org/

(sorry to mislead you)
    FTW

Thanks - I'm gonna be all over that in the morning. I'm tired - after midnight here and I had a big day.

Thanks for all your help whilst I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by KarameaDave View Post
    Openoffice is discontinued, so you are taking a risk that it may be vulnerable.
    Its now Apache Open Office & Apache OO isnt discontinued

https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/a...penoffice-4-11
    30 December 2017 - Apache OpenOffice, the leading Open Source office document productivity suite, announced today Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5, as usual available in 41 languages for Windows, macOS and Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Its now Apache Open Office & Apache OO isnt discontinued

https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/a...penoffice-4-11
    30 December 2017 - Apache OpenOffice, the leading Open Source office document productivity suite, announced today Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5, as usual available in 41 languages for Windows, macOS and Linux.
    Didn't you read my next post pal?

Anyway it might as well be discontinued, given the low user numbers and lack of development
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/openoff...e-libreoffice/
    Last edited by KarameaDave; 12-02-2018 at 09:20 AM.
    FTW

I'm underwhelmed with LibreOffice. Having been an OO user for years, personally and decidedly eschewing M$/OS years before it was "cause de-rigueru", I can forthwith state that LO has fewer niceties than OO.

I totally and unreservedly reel in disgust with anything Windows. My switch to Linux distros is final, and a finale in and of itself.

However, although LO - PRINT PREVIEW works as does SAVE AS PDF..... opening a blank form is rife with troubles. It falls off the tracks and asks me if I want to save the "MODIFIED COPY" .... even if i already SAVE'd it as a document and haven't modified it since saving it.

Why oh why does it have to be ignorant?

I cannot say NO, and it won't take NO as a correct option..... leaving me with another.... although goofy..... option.

I just open another window.... load up LO again and start a fresh sheet for the next/new document.

Libre Office and Open Office are theoretically the same, but I much prefer the appearance of Open Office. Version 4.3 is very good.
    I mostly use Google Documents on line. All you need is a Chrome browser.

Honestly, just go LO. Although, if you're used to MS Office, WPS Office is a $0 cost, albeit not 'free', option.