Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound has gone

Default Sound has gone

I was wonderinig if somebody could help me with the following problem: My daughter's HP Pav 11 E102AU Touch Netbook used to run smoothly until the day she connected a pair of Logitech USB headphones. They worked after some fiddeling. The next day there was absolutely no sound coming through the computer's speakers even so they are selected as the default playback device. Window 10 troubleshooter didn't find any error - "everything is working properly". By the way, the volume is turned up to 100%!

Could somebody please advise me on how to fix this problem. Any help is appreciated.

Old guy

Default Re: Sound has gone

Are the USB headphones still working?

Old guy

Have a look in device manager at "sound video and game controllers" and see what is there.

Yes, they are still working but only if they are set a default playback device.

In device manager are AMD High Definition Audio Device and Realtek High Definition Audio.

Old guy

I do not know enough to advise what to do next but have a look at this link https://support.hp.com/nz-en/product.../model/6622096

It seems the machine thinks that the headphones are still attached even when they are not.

They worked after some fiddeling.
    That statement alone kind of raises -okay what was fiddled with ?

All you would normally do is when plugging in external speakers, if not automatically selected go in and set as default.

As its been mentioned ( by Clive) there have been certain HP's that when attaching external speakers seem to "stick" on the speakers and wont revert back automatically as they should. The ones I have dealt with (HP's) have all been the 3.5mm plugs not USb's.

The "fix" was to poke a toothpick or something similar ( non conductive material) into the hole and it releases the Headphone jack connection, which should auto disconnect when headphones removed.

Just a suggestion, no idea if it will work or not ( but worth a crack Nigel - as the saying goes ) , but plug in some other USB device into the same USB socket. the head phones were in, something like a USB flash drive, Make sure its operating. When it is, THEN go into the audio settings and see if you can change the default audio device. Its either going to work or isn't.

Failing that - go into the device manger, uninstall all usb ports, reboot, they should auto reinstall on restart, then change the Default Audio output devices.

Sorry, forget about the fiddeling. Yes I went in and changed default setting.

What I have tried so far: Windows Troubleshooter; uninstalled and reinstalled sound drivers; did HP's hard reset; plugged in Flash Drive in all USB drives (they all work properly). And nothing solved my problem.

Can you post a screen shot of the audio devices from the Sound /Playback Options

Example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Audio_Devices.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	8646

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	61 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	8647