Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011

Thread: Hot as

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Default Re: Hot as

Negligible, subtle, such precise terms
    FTW

Well by subtle I meant gradual and not perceptible, ie it does not suddenly lift vertically in a way that we can notice. The earths Diameter is approx 12742 km, divide that by 384mm (assuming that's correct I didn't check) and we see that the land surface of earth is distorted by a factor of approx 1 in 33.18 million when the moon passes overhead. That fits my personal definition of subtle and negligible quite well. I tried to convert that to a % but my calculator doesn't go that small.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Well by subtle I meant gradual and not perceptible, ie it does not suddenly lift vertically in a way that we can notice. The earths Diameter is approx 12742 km, divide that by 384mm (assuming that's correct I didn't check) and we see that the land surface of earth is distorted by a factor of approx 1 in 33.18 million when the moon passes overhead. That fits my personal definition of subtle and negligible quite well. I tried to convert that to a % but my calculator doesn't go that small.
    Is the ant on the tow rope calculable?
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Yes. but expressed as a percentage of a typical oceanic tidal variation it is around 10%, not negligible in those terms.
    FTW