Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Cigarette Smokers Stink!

You can't help but notice a cigarette smoker. Even if you can't see them you can certainly smell them! You know a smoker is nearby.

But they don't think that they stink. They have that smell around them all the time so they don't notice it, but all the non-smokers certainly do.

Luckily we don't have any smokers in our family so we don't have to put up with it, but we have sympathy for those whose spouses smoke. Hopefully they don't let them smoke inside but make them go outside in all weathers. I've smelt a smoker's house and they are not very pleasant.

The government has said their aim is to be smoke free by 2050. Somehow I can't see that happening. Smoking is an addiction and so it is hard for them to give up.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Default Re: Cigarette Smokers Stink!

Actually it's 2025, and only an 'aspirational' goal.
    http://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/p...smokefree-2025

2050 is to rid NZ of predator species (introduced ones)
    http://www.doc.govt.nz/predator-free-2050
    FTW

personally i think we should overcome global inequality and transition to a post-scarcity society before we worry about minor balance patches for subjective situations.

pollution is worse, etc.
    Have a great day.

I understand it's an addiction and hard to quit, what I've never understood is why anyone starts in the first place. I'm conflicted about things like this, I'd like smoking to cease being something people did but I don't like laws that infringe on personal choice too much (some is inevitable). I wondered to myself if they should just raise the legal age every year so nobody new can start, but I can't see that gaining any traction or being enforceable.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Where I work I am the only non smoker, In for the last four years we have had about 10 staff pass through and not one non smoker. The six at work I have estimated smoke through around $130 a day between them. One of them told me it was 27 bux for a packet of 25. The worst thing about smokers is they are always going for fag breaks but they still take their 1/2 hr tea and 1/2 hr lunch break as well.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    Where I work I am the only non smoker, In for the last four years we have had about 10 staff pass through and not one non smoker. The six at work I have estimated smoke through around $130 a day between them. One of them told me it was 27 bux for a packet of 25. The worst thing about smokers is they are always going for fag breaks but they still take their 1/2 hr tea and 1/2 hr lunch break as well.
    There was an article an while back, A Japanese company were giving their non smoking employees an extra six extra days off on paid leave since smokers took "extra breaks".

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/health...-days-off.html

If that happened here watch the moans
    Last edited by wainuitech; 25-01-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    But they don't think that they stink..
    Sorry but I can smell it and I do.
    Give up? Husband has smoked for 58 years, whats the point
    Ex-pctek

Non-smokers can stink too...

And smoking or not, break time is break time, shouldn't be any more or less for anybody.
    If you can't make it between normal break times without needing to stop for a fag then that's down to laziness not addction.
    Some people spend a lot of work time in the bog too, rather that during breaks - can I get extra holidays on that basis too?

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    There was an article an while back, A Japanese company were giving their non smoking employees an extra six extra days off on paid leave since smokers took "extra breaks".

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/health...-days-off.html

If that happened here watch the moans
    As an employer, you'd happily give a non-smoking employee an extra 6 days paid leave? Yeah right.

But she'll be right, just hike the charge out rate to cover it, and all's sweet.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    As an employer, you'd happily give a non-smoking employee an extra 6 days paid leave? Yeah right.

But she'll be right, just hike the charge out rate to cover it, and all's sweet.
    Actually 6 days a year is money saving if he 1 person stopped smoking at work and took the days as offered..

There used to be a person at SWMBO's work who smoked a lot. Just asked her on average how long would the person be away smoking EXCLUDING normal meal breaks.

She said easily 30 -45 minutes per day. So lets go on the lower side, 30 minutes a day x 5 days - theres 2 1/2 hours per week. Now work it out on 4 weeks per month = 10 hours / month rounding down that's 1 day per month lost due to smoking, x lets say 11 months ( allows for normal holidays, sick etc)

Take the linked article, they quoted 15 minutes each time / person - so if they went out 4 times extra during the day, there's an hour each day x 5 days - 5 hours / week..........carry on with the maths over a year and it adds up to a lot of lost time.

Bet if the boss said OK going to not pay you for 10 hours they would kick up a stink.

Speaking of stinks -- The dog is on new food - he just farted and is laying about 1 mtr from me
    Last edited by wainuitech; 25-01-2018 at 08:58 PM.