Default Win 10 still available free

Just a heads up. Used the Media Creation Tool on a win 7 Sony small VAIO. No problems encountered (so far!).

Apart from a slow laptop and heaps of Sony crap plus un-needed Apple stuff from the owner's grand-daughter.

Default Re: Win 10 still available free

Done some still using a W7 or W8 key (this is computers that have never had W10 previously). BUT two I have tried doing fresh installs on, while they have install and accepted the keys they have not activated.

Linw-- check its actually activated.

I have done 1 as an upgrade from W7 and it worked, and activated.

As of build 1709 (latest) it appears MS have killed the activation from W7-W8 Keys. You can still install / Activate by using build 1703 and that works fine, then upgrade to 1709.

Hi, WT. It was a W7 upgrade and it did activate.

Showed me I don't want to bother with any windows < W10, now. Basically, I am now forgetting where to look for things in earlier versions!

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    As of build 1709 (latest) it appears MS have killed the activation from W7-W8 Keys. You can still install / Activate by using build 1703 and that works fine, then upgrade to 1709.
    Thats interesting, the upgrade from 7,8 is now finally over . Was bound to happen eventually , I wonder if the 1703 activation via Win7 key will also be shut down soon.
    I better upgrade my notebook while I still can .

I did a quick google about this.
    The tech websites make no mention of Win7 keys working for 10 installs , only writing blogs and articles re Win Upgrade assistive technologies loophole ending .
    Makes it pretty obvious all these tech writers have zero real world experience .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    I did a quick google about this.
    The tech websites make no mention of Win7 keys working for 10 installs , only writing blogs and articles re Win Upgrade assistive technologies loophole ending .
    Makes it pretty obvious all these tech writers have zero real world experience .
    I think its still a loophole. The last one I did was roughly two weeks ago ( fresh Install) . 1709 did accept the key, but even after a day it wouldn't activate, tried the troubleshooter and it came back with some error message ( didn't take much notice of what it was) . Wiped the drive clean, used the 1703 install and by the time I went to look it had activated fine and was downloading drivers.

One other forum I go on also mentioned 1709 no longer works. But the majority are saying you need to buy W10 keys now.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

I've done quite a few with 1709 media and had no issues thus far.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Not sure, but this might be non-answer question. Can anyone install Windows 10? On any computer with enough capacity? And what are those minimums to install? Microsoft is too vague. Is it 2 or 4 MB or GB, is that RAM? I am a novice and don't understand this. But I have an older PC with Vista. You know what a pain that was. But assuming it might have enough capacity, could W 10 be installed? Or is this a Purchase Only, or what? And what the heck is 1703 or 1709? I have W 10 on my newest PC, but the older one is a Dell and might be worth updating/upgrading.

You would need to buy a copy, the free upgrade was only for windows 7 or 8 not Vista. It should work ok but there is some older hardware that has no drivers so it's not guaranteed.
    1703 or 1709 relates to which version of windows 10, as it gets more updates it gets a new version number so 1703 is an older copy of windows that needs more updates than 1709.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyNut View Post
    I have W 10 on my newest PC, but the older one is a Dell and might be worth updating/upgrading.
    Not worth buying Win10 to put on a Vista PC . Cheaper to buy a used Win7 PC/laptop .
    Also , its a wipe & install to load Win10 . You can install 10 without a Install/product key & leave it un-activated , it will just keep working .

Ive installed 10 on an very very old XP laptop. It ran but was unusable , too slow : not enough RAM.