Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Change partition table

I have an HP Stream which is currently dual booted with Chrome OS & Windows 10 Pro.
    The booting is UEFI (?)
    I am thinking of replacing the Chrome OS with Linux Fat Dog 64 which is difficult to do without a MS Dos type partition. It is possible to use a grub2 loader, in theory, but grub4 is easy & reliable. If I convert the partition table, I am not sure that it will boot. The BIOS supports Legacy as well.

Any ideas on this will be welcome.

Ex-pctek

Default Re: Change partition table

I did that, no luck, grub4 refused to be installed, even after I changed the partition table. It is now back to Chrome and W10, courtesy of "Clonezilla".

Beats me why you want to use out-dated grub4dos rather than the current standard grub2?
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

If you want a nice, fancy graphical boot loader you could go for rEFInd ... it boots UEFI Linux kernels and Windows directly and doesn't even need Grub (any flavour) to be installed at all.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/index.html

The author of rEFInd is Rod Smith and he is THE authority on UEFI booting. He has written a great deal on booting UEFI, some of which is very technical. But you don't need to know all the nitty-gritty to use his boot manager.
    Last edited by Rod J; 21-01-2018 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Adding more info
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

I find installing Linux, which takes care of it all works just fine, Grub is done without any input from you.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by Rod J View Post
    If you want a nice, fancy graphical boot loader you could go for rEFInd ... it boots UEFI Linux kernels and Windows directly and doesn't even need Grub (any flavour) to be installed at all.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/index.html

The author of rEFInd is Rod Smith and he is THE authority on UEFI booting. He has written a great deal on booting UEFI, some of which is very technical. But you don't need to know all the nitty-gritty to use his boot manager.
    That works fine, except that FatDog64 has a "save file" which refuses to be found. When this happens using grub4 I can put the path to the save file in "menu.1st" in sda1. I have tried putting it as an extension in Initrid but no luck.
    I now have some info on grub2 for FD64 to get my head around. I use FD64 all the time. Very fast, very stable, and works in RAM so pretty bullet proof. Comes with Libre Office, PDF editor, GNU Image editor, I dual boot it with Windows 10 which I occasionally use for graphics and websites as I already have the software.
    Last edited by mzee; 23-01-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    I find installing Linux, which takes care of it all works just fine, Grub is done without any input from you.
    Some Linux does, Mint dual boots on UEFI. FatDog64 doesn't but there may be a way to use grub2 which I am studying at the moment. This is just a pastime, all my other computers have BIOS-Legacy tables. I wonder if there is a way of safely converting UEFI to old fashioned BIOS?

How can I add an SD Card to the system boot list in the Bios of my HP Stream? There doesn't seem to be any provision to add, only to disable. Current enabled devices are USB thumb drive, USB Cd Rom drive. Network boot disabled.

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    How can I add an SD Card to the system boot list in the Bios of my HP Stream? There doesn't seem to be any provision to add, only to disable. Current enabled devices are USB thumb drive, USB Cd Rom drive. Network boot disabled.
    From personal experience with several modern HP laptops, that is not do-able, unless you can find a modified BIOS.
    I would try looking here:
    https://www.bios-mods.com/

But be warned, you may well brick the thing
    FTW