Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Backup or clone win10

I'd like to install win10 afresh, but I have lots and lots of stuff I just wouldn't want to lose. I guess the obvious is just to back up the various directories etc. to my linux server (kinda like a NAS on steroids), and I already do "fluff" around with this - photos, some documents etc. But what I'd like to do, for my own feelings of security, is do an image backup, so absolutely everything is there. I believe the inbuilt windows backup utility is good, but individual directories can't be brought back. Apparently Macrium and Acronis do a very good job at this - but only the paid versions. The current size of this is 1.06TB on a 1.82TB drive.
    Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Default Re: Backup or clone win10

You can use Active@disk Image http://www.disk-image.com/download.htm The free version will create an image over a LAN or to external Drives (USB or internal on the computer). The Trial Paid version allows you to create a Bootable CD. ( the 21 day trial actually doesn't run out on the CD)

You can also be double sure, dont make it complicated --- copy/paste to another location all the data as well. That way if one fails it would be really bad luck if both did.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

yes - active@ is great, and you can navigate the image and restore any files or complete folders to anywhere you want - all with the free version

I don't use anything else - in fact I used to use Acronis a long time ago, but found I had quite a few failures with the images when restoring a drive

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    You can use Active@disk Image http://www.disk-image.com/download.htm The free version will create an image over a LAN or to external Drives (USB or internal on the computer). The Trial Paid version allows you to create a Bootable CD. ( the 21 day trial actually doesn't run out on the CD)

You can also be double sure, dont make it complicated --- copy/paste to another location all the data as well. That way if one fails it would be really bad luck if both did.
    Thanks, I'll give that a go. I'm currently using SyncbackFree to backup my documents and photos. I had a look at it just now and noticed it hadn't done a run since June 17 - so I'm taking steps to correct that. Like you say it's reaasuring to have that data backed up too

If you are dual booting Windows with Linux or Chrome OS use "Clonezilla" (free Linux download, runs on a USB stick), it will make images of all the partitions, regardless of type.

I'm not dual booting. But if I booted into clonezilla on the windows machine, then maybe I'd have the option to make an image of the partition (drive) that windows resides on? I guess I'd have to find out for myself, but would clonezilla be able to see other drives on my network? - here I mean my linux server, which has a wired connection (through router) to my windows machine

Active @ will connect to Linux LAN devices.

3 of the locations in the picture below are Linux Based

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Servers Active.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	8649
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Active works and is very easy to use, it can image over a network to a server without any issues at all

Active@ will not make an image of a Linux ext4 partition, it does a sector by sector clone and takes forever. Clonezilla makes an image of any type of partition, Linux, Windows, and Chrome OS. I have not tried operating it via a network.

Wanderer

I use both because cloning can take quite a bit of space and you need updated versions. So I have one clone updated maybe after a year. Then I use syncback and I backup or sync my folders. My folders I have move them elsewhere so it's a lot easier. My C: SSD is system only. My standard D: is my data drive.

Cloning - C:
    Sync - D:

I don't use specific backup software maybe later I get compatibility issues. So with synching if my computer is broken like the mainboard I can plug my HDD to another system and I can read the contents even if the OS is different.
    I also have an extra HDD internal which does a (automated) daily sync.
    Then I have at least 1 other HDD external for backup. I also have one in a custody box offsite.
    Last edited by Nomad; 22-01-2018 at 08:09 AM.