Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default KFC - does it freeze ok?

Due to my current health probs I struggle to eat anything and keep it down. My fridge is full of untouched yummies. But, I'm sad to confess, my favourite junk food is KFC. So I'm gonna get some tomorrow, but in case I can't take it, does it freeze and reheat later ok?
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Default Re: KFC - does it freeze ok?

You should NEVER freeze cooked chicken and then reheat it again.......................

"If Fawlty Towers is now being removed by the BBC then humour is dead. The puritans are winning because the establishment is weak and has no self confidence."

Nigel Farage@Nigel_Farage· Jun 12

You CAN freeze cooked meats and you should slowly thaw it in the fridge. You can re-cook it, since you really want to get it back to an optimal temperature to kill bacteria. Microwaving may not reach it.

Freezing, wont kill bacteria but it'll stop them from growing, once you provide warmth again, they continue to grow, thats why you should slow thaw it in a fridge to keep the growth rate low. You should then cook the meat or get it at a high enough internal temperature to kill the bacteria. Ice however destroys the taste of foods too, so it probably wont taste as good.

I am not sure if NZ Food Safety has guidelines available but very few understand that you can pretty much freeze raw or cooked and this can reduce a lot of food wastage.

With your health concerns though Greg, is it worth the risk?

Yes you can freeze the cooked chicken quite well. May daughter used to work there and closed for them at 03:00 in the morning, bringing home all these KFC foods. Up till today, and it has been 20 years, I can't take the smell of it, but it stayed fresh in the fridge and freezer

sarel
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it's more serious than that.

I really wouldn't.
    Maybe you'd be ok, maybe not.

I once ate cold leftover KFC and got Campylobacter.

Never again, it was the worst thing I ever had.

You know Tegel do a Southern Chicken nibble range in frozen? It's basically exactly the same mix, except nibbles rather than big pieces. But it's uncooked and already frozen, I suggest you get a bag and keep that to satisfy your KFC craving instead....easy enough to pull a few out and cook, being nibbles they don't take that long.
    Ex-pctek

Old guy

Do not try that Greg. You certainly should not run any avoidable risk whatsoever. The last thing you need is another bug in your system.

I say go for it.

After watching 8 seasons of House I've learnt that a new bug can kill an old bug, so who knows. If you get sick from dodgy KFC it might cure what was wrong before.

If you're already sick, what's there to lose?

That'll be $65.00 thanks. Please pay at reception or else we'll add 5% to your unpaid bill every day.

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    I say go for it.

After watching 8 seasons of House I've learnt that a new bug can kill an old bug, so who knows. If you get sick from dodgy KFC it might cure what was wrong before.

If you're already sick, what's there to lose?

That'll be $65.00 thanks. Please pay at reception or else we'll add 5% to your unpaid bill every day.
    Haha

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    You know Tegel do a Southern Chicken nibble range in frozen? It's basically exactly the same mix, except nibbles rather than big pieces. But it's uncooked and already frozen, I suggest you get a bag and keep that to satisfy your KFC craving instead....easy enough to pull a few out and cook, being nibbles they don't take that long.
    Thx I'll give it a go.

Re the KFC question. Yes and No.
    I've done it before and after it has thawed in the fridge I reheat it on a grill rack, rather than straight into an oven dish, to allow it to heat right through. Those were the days when I had a cast iron stomach.
    In your case it's a definite NO.
    When most people visit their GP for a stomach bug problem the words "Campylobacter" and "Chicken" are used in severe tones, whether that is the real problem, or not. Obviously lab tests show it to be a common cause.
    It still hasn't put me off chicken and I hope it will be the same for you once your health returns.
    Meanwhile, piroska's suggestion of the Tegel product seems a good alternative.