Default Word 2016 picks up docx as a template

Morning all!!!

Well it's been ages since I was in here, but I struck a problem and this was the first place I thought of for the real answer

GPO applies to workstations to set the default workgroup template location, which is fine.
    However (for specific reasons), there are some docx files in the sub folders of the template location.
    When starting Word, File New and browsing the folders, the docx files appear as templates. If you open one, it acts like a template. We need to keep those docs files where they are, but not have them showing as templates. I've tried hiding the docxs, but then the whole folder disappears (if there are no dotx files in the folder).

Thoughts? I've been right through GPO and googled this to death, but no one seems to have struck these before. Surely I'm not the first??

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Computer Tech

Default Re: Word 2016 picks up docx as a template

You say 'for specific reasons', what are those reasons for needing docx files in the templates folder?
    That's not how it was intended by Microsoft so that's probably why you're having the issue.

It's required by the Quality Manager.
    I would say it shouldn't matter- if you set a location for templates, it should only pick up template (dotx) files, surely?? It's not a document location you are setting, it's a location for templates.

There is a security issue involved with having the docx files in the same Folder or in a Subfolder of the Templates Folder.
    People could inadvertently delete a Template instead of a Document, note these types of things do happen when people are in a hurry.
    It does not say much for the Quality Manager if they think differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedsdad View Post
    There is a security issue involved with having the docx files in the same Folder or in a Subfolder of the Templates Folder.
    People could inadvertently delete a Template instead of a Document, note these types of things do happen when people are in a hurry.
    It does not say much for the Quality Manager if they think differently.
    Users can't delete any files from the templates folders.
    Just trying to find out why docx appear in Word as a new template option, along with dotx...

If the documents are in the templates folder simply because users can't delete them, then I would strongly suggest moving them somewhere else and setting permissions on a folder appropriately. Seems like Word is behaving as intended here.

Thanks pcuser42 - but this has been my question from the outset.
    Is this intended behavior? Should Word be picking up a docx as a dotx?

The Custom Office Templates are used to store all sorts of templates such as Word, Excel. Powerpoint templates.
    Essentially when you go File / New/ Custom/ Custom Office Templates, you click on a file and you are actually opening that file
    So whether you have a dotx, docx, dotm, doc, dot file it will open it if it is in that folder or a subfolder and give it a new name like Document1 (Note the suffix could be 1 or 2 etc)
    This applies even if it is a doc or docx type file.

If however you opened the same doc or docx file by going File/ Open/Documents/ Custom Office Templates it will open with the original file name

I think Microsoft intended that the Custom Office Templates be used only for Templates and not for storing doc or docx files

On further checking I think that when you go File / New / Custom / Custom Office templates you are creating a new document and if you select any file in the folder or sub folder you are saying use this file layout and contents whether it is a dotx or docx etc and give it a new name (Document1 etc)
    Note as well if you hover your mouse over the actual file name it does not have the actual file type dotx or docx
    It is the same under File / New / Featured