Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Default Re: Golliwogs are harmless

Casual racism is still racism.
    FTW

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    What a lot of nonsense!

A Golliwog was nothing more than a kids cuddly toy.

Hell I had a Rupert Bear and he was blue, so I suppose Iíve offended every Brown Bear in the world.

Honestly, the world must be in really good shape if this nonsense is all we have to worry about.

As for Barbie, it was all Kenís fault.
    Don't blame me again.

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    Don't blame me again.

Ken
    Iím sorry Ken but the Family Court has decided that on the balance of probably it was you.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

pcsourcepoint

But Golliwogs I'm sure introduced a new name in the English language. Often I heard girls, when at primary school, called Golliwogs. Imagine if there were obese dolls...
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Quote Originally Posted by KarameaDave View Post
    Casual racism is still racism.
    Quite right Dave.

And New Zealand must have the dubious honour of leading the World when it comes to Racism.

I mean where else in the world does a Race enjoy the additional Hand-Outs and Special Privileges that the Maoris do?

Itís absolutely outrageous!
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

My knowledge of the world was formed at an early age from a diet of prewar Newnes Childrens Encyclopedias and 1920s Chums Annuals, when 40% of the world map was coloured pink.

In Chums the heros were straight backed British boys who could defeat all the worlds villains bare fisted with a straight left.

The world's villains were swarthy untrustworthy Dagos, the Yellow Peril and the Red Asian hordes threatening to invade the west, or other knife wielding untrustworthies who didn't fight fair.

Savages could be either wickedly savage or noble.

In Newnes the natives were depicted as going happily about their work, cheerfully for their benevolent white masters (British of course) who were protecting them from more unscrupulous foreigners, or the bad old days of cannabalism, and bringing them daily joy and happiness.

So what could possibly be wrong with having a Golliwog toy ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	empire.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	8640  
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Quite right Dave.

And New Zealand must have the dubious honour of leading the World when it comes to Racism.

I mean where else in the world does a Race enjoy the additional Hand-Outs and Special Privileges that the Maoris do?

Itís absolutely outrageous!
    I quite agree. I don't have all the privileges that maori have. I feel very left out. It's not much fun being Caucasian.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Visit the Radio Reading Service: www.radioreading.org.nz

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

What a load of shite, Maori were for over 100 years second class citizens here.
    Now they are catching up, and finally getting what was promised under the treaty, you are up in arms!
    Take a deep breath, then calm down.
    FTW

pcsourcepoint

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Porritt View Post
    My knowledge of the world was formed at an early age from a diet of prewar Newnes Childrens Encyclopedias and 1920s Chums Annuals, when 40% of the world map was coloured pink.

In Chums the heros were straight backed British boys who could defeat all the worlds villains bare fisted with a straight left.

The world's villains were swarthy untrustworthy Dagos, the Yellow Peril and the Red Asian hordes threatening to invade the west, or other knife wielding untrustworthies who didn't fight fair.

Savages could be either wickedly savage or noble.

In Newnes the natives were depicted as going happily about their work, cheerfully for their benevolent white masters (British of course) who were protecting them from more unscrupulous foreigners, or the bad old days of cannabalism, and bringing them daily joy and happiness.

So what could possibly be wrong with having a Golliwog toy ?
    Seems quite the contrast from early British drama and comedy shows/films that I followed - like Tom Brown School Days, St Trinians, The Carry on Movies, and Monty Python...
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

SWMBO was a member of the Napier Frivolity Minstrels (commonly called the Frivs) in the1960s. They were a lot of fun and very popular here. Mr Interlocutor and his 4 blackface minstrels always bought the house down.

Had not all this rubbish cropped up I don't think many would have thought a racist connotation at the time.

Ken