Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up New Police Speed Video

"New advertising campaign challenges the ‘right’ to speed"

A new road safety advertising campaign is directly challenging speeding drivers to slow down and stop defending their perceived ‘right’ to speed.
    The joint NZ Transport Agency/Police campaign addresses the significant proportion of the driving population who still like to travel at speeds which are too fast for the conditions, on the open road and around town, posing a risk to themselves and to others who share the roads with them.
    “Every week, 11 people are seriously injured or killed in a speed-related crash on New Zealand roads, but a substantial portion of our society does not see the connection between speed and crashes,” says NZ Transport Agency Director of Safety and Environment Harry Wilson.

“That needs to change, because the facts and the physics are indisputable.

Speed is always a crucial factor in determining the severity of the crash and the severity of the injuries to the people involved.
    The simple and inescapable truth is that less speed means less harm in a crash.”

Assistant Commissioner for Road Policing Sandra Venables says the consequences of people driving too fast for the conditions can be devastating.

“Police officers see the human cost of speed nearly every day on our roads. Crashes occur due to a wide range of mistakes, whether involuntary or deliberate, but the outcome is vastly different at different speeds.

“Even when speed doesn’t cause the crash, it is the single biggest determinant in whether anyone is killed, injured, or walks away unharmed.

A small change in speed makes a big difference to injury severity.

“Our plea to all drivers this year is to be courteous and slow down, to make sure you get to your destination safely.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o61wZimPKK8

Last edited by WalOne; 08-01-2018 at 02:43 PM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Default Re: New Police Speed Video

The cops still dont get it -- Its not all speed. Sure while a slower speed may be less harmful in the event of a smash, the actual causes are often bad driving. The bad driving , there was a video on Stuff the other day, almost a head on crash on a winding road and they were only doing 40K.

Just over the weekend saw at least a dozen people all on phones.

A classic today - at an intersection that had a green for straight through traffic, and a red arrow for turning ( I was turning) The guy across the intersection was so busy on his phone the lights went through a complete sequence of red-green-orange-Red before he noticed he had missed the Green to go, so then plants boot as the light had just turned red and he went through it If I had of gone on the green arrow he would have smacked into the side of me. Dip sh1T !!

Photograph them on your dash cam and publish the photos or video.

Screw these a**holes on the road that endanger my passengers' and my life!!

"If Fawlty Towers is now being removed by the BBC then humour is dead. The puritans are winning because the establishment is weak and has no self confidence."

Nigel Farage@Nigel_Farage· Jun 12

Screw these a**holes on the road that endanger my passengers' and my life!!
    +1
    Last edited by WalOne; 08-01-2018 at 05:35 PM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

I think, as the cops are often on the scene at the results, they sure do get it.
    No-one dies or is badly mangled because they crashed at 20kph.

Your reaction time, even if you are not at fault, is so much less, and things happen so much faster, and with speed comes more of an impact.
    Which is why car manufacturers don't crash test the things at 100kph +....

I was driving along, just come through a roundabout so still at 30kph, when a bike rider walked his bike out in front of me, into my path. I stopped. At 40 or 50, I'd say I would have mashed him flat.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    I was driving along, just come through a roundabout so still at 30kph, when a bike rider walked his bike out in front of me, into my path. I stopped. At 40 or 50, I'd say I would have mashed him flat.
    See that sort of thing a LOT - Often people simply walk out onto the road without even looking to see if anything is coming. Often head down buried in their phones. The poor driver ( even if not going faster than allowed) is the one who sometimes cant react quick enough.

Theres an alleyway a few doors down from our place, its not uncommon for people to simply run out straight across the road - dont look, and its a main road.

People are Idiots. You have to drive like at any moment a random driver is going to attempt to kill you, because they might. Drive often enough and someone will, it may be yourself.
    Speed limits are not the miracle cure for everything, but they are one sure way to limit the damage when the inevitable happens. Doesn't matter whose fault it is, if you are speeding and an accident happens you will be worse off than if you had stuck to the speed limit in almost every case.

So many people I know use passing as an excuse to speed, because it's safer to spend less time on the wrong side of the road or in the passing lane right? but it you can't pass easily and safely without speeding then the law says you can't pass, not go faster and she'll be right. Impatience, inattention, overconfidence, rage, have no place behind the wheel. Calm down.Slow down. Life will not leave you behind if it takes another minute to get there.

When I was young I drove like a F@#$wit, only luck has me still here. Now I see the young and the stupid driving like I used to and I understand why but it's still insanity. Now I stick to the limit (with occasional exceptions, I'm no saint but I wouldn't try to justify it if caught speeding). I regularly make a 45 min trip on the Waikato expressway and often see someone going to great effort to pass me and everyone else and roaring off down the road, only to catch them at the lights in the next town 10 mins later and they've gained a few car lengths for all their effort. Also putting your foot down is burning money (can be fun though I admit).
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Old guy

Certainly parked vehicles are only very rarely involved in a serious accident. Humans make mistakes and that is not going to change as long as they are still around. If one drives with consideration for others and a little bit of luck you will last a bit longer but the road toll is never going to be zero.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    Certainly parked vehicles are only very rarely involved in a serious accident. .
    LOL, husband had an accident with a parked vehicle. He said it jumped out in front of him.

Uhuh, actually he was looking down, messing with something. Distraction and not watching the road......
    Ex-pctek

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Sure while a slower speed may be less harmful in the event of a smash, the actual causes are often bad driving. The bad driving , there was a video on Stuff the other day, almost a head on crash on a winding road and they were only doing 40K.
    Exactly! That's precisely what the police are saying in the video.

Why was that bad driving video from Stuff on those windey bends not fatal? Because the dude was doing 40K's and was able to slow down enough to avoid an accident. Was any higher speed involved, that could have been *totally* different, EVEN THOUGH it wasn't that guy at fault (It was that other clown on the wrong side of the road), but that's still not the point. The point is that his lack of excessive speed saved lives that day. That's what this police video is all about.

Doesn't matter if you're a good driver, or a great driver, there's always some dipshit who isn't, and your lack of speed may accommodate them even more-so and avoid a fender-bender becoming a fatality.

Brilliant, brilliant video!
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro