Default Intel NUC BOXNUC6CAYH Mini Computer hdd advice

I bought a Intel NUC BOXNUC6CAYH Mini Computer Intel Celeron J3455 Quad core last November to be used as a stream box to my smart TV, but it seems a bit slow to operate with Windows 10.
    I called into PBtech where it was bought to ask if upping the ram from 8 to 16gb would help, and he asked what hdd I was using which is a 1TB 2.5" sata, and his advice was to fit a ssd.
    So looking for advice please

Default Re: Intel NUC BOXNUC6CAYH Mini Computer hdd advice

I would go for the SSD,I see it's spec's it has a M.2 interface and you may be able to fit a M.2 SSD and leave your 1TB Drive mounted for your files

https://ark.intel.com/products/95062...C-Kit-NUC6CAYH

The M.2 would be more price wise though

Would not bother upping your Ram as it would give you no real benefit as a SSD gives you better bang for $$

8gb is plenty for your purposes, an SSD will help with how fast it launches programs and help with overall responsiveness but it's not a miracle cure. You don't say exactly how it's slow, that's a pretty low end CPU so you should avoid too much multitasking and stick to doing one thing at a time and closing whatever you are not currently using.

I've had a few NUCs and found the lower end ones to be a bit lacking in power for some tasks, although even the slowest of them can do 1080P video. I currently have an older NUC5i3TYH which is a low power i3 and I have 8gb of RAM and a 120gb mSATA SSD in it and it's generally pretty fast and responsive, although again it's limited in power. Surprisingly it's good enough to stream games via Steams streaming option and that works really well. Comparing the two my i3 is a little more powerful but not all that much really
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

The main reason is to stream tv through a browser and is a bit sluggish to launch a browser or windows explorer that's all it will be used for and it will only accept 2.5" sata hdd.

On saying that once launched it seems to run OK to watch a programme.

So would a 120 ssd be adequate or do I need a 250?

Depends if you want to store media files on it, 120 is plenty for the OS and programs but it will get used up quickly if you try and keep many video files on it or a large music collection. The easy way to tell is to check how much space you are using now.
    You don't want to fill an SSD past about 80% generally speaking, they need room to do Trim operations and the like or they will lose speed. Some have built in hidden overprovisioning to stop this but it's best just to leave some space.

Edit: As Lawrence mentioned the specs do say it has an M.2 slot, that would be the best option and you can keep the 2.5" for storage that way. An M.2 drive looks kinda like a RAM chip and mounts directly to the main board.
    Here's a couple of Videos that might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn_T0xxyRxg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y900DJntafI
    Last edited by dugimodo; 07-01-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

I succumbed bought the Samsung evo 256 ssd and also a Logitech KB 400 wireless keyboard from the Warehouse.

Wow what a difference, should have known really as I also fitted the same ssd to my Toshiba laptop last year, and put the existing 1TB hdd into a caddy and did away with DVD rom.

Thanks for the advice given!