Thread: Ethernet cable.

Default Ethernet cable.

Hi All
    I have postd a few times about the (promised good quality) broadband via the building WiFi.No improvements have been mad. Lookd getting my own from telecom naked with smallest Broadban plan & far to expensive.
    So I thought obout an ethrnet cable . I peced the distanc out at 65M, mostly above a drop tiled ceiling. Is the distance too long? Would that length of cable have to made up. I doubt it would be off the shelf? Thanks. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Default Re: Ethernet cable.

Ethernet will work up to 100m, so you should be OK.
    Who would install it for you?
    The distance may increase if they have to follow preinstalled cable ladders etc.
    To comply with standards you won't be putting a patch cable up there, it will be
    solid conductor cat6, and a terminal plate on the wall in your room (probably)
    then a patch cable to your machine.
    Last edited by KarameaDave; 02-01-2018 at 10:21 AM.
    FTW

Quote Originally Posted by KarameaDave View Post
    Ethernet will work up to 100m, so you should be OK.
    Who would install it for you?
    The distance may increase if they have to follow preinstalled cable ladders etc.
    To comply with standards you won't be putting a patch cable up there, it will be
    solid conductor cat6, and a terminal plate on the wall in your room (probably)
    then a patch cable to your machine.
    What is a patch cable.Is Cat 6the only cable to use. How many cores are there in Cat6. Who will install it? Dont know but would need to be abl to set up to run. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa John View Post
    What is a patch cable.Is Cat 6the only cable to use
    Basically one that is already made up. You can buy all sorts of lengths, small 1, 2 m, or long up to 100m (max)

Not Cat 6 isn't the only....up to you, 6 or 5.

Category 5e

An improved specification to Category 5 was later introduced. By reducing noise and signal interference, Category 5e was capable of increasing rated transfer speeds to 350 Mbit/s over 100 meters. The new standard also required all cables to include four twisted pairs (all eight contacts). An optimized encoding scheme allows up to 50-meter lengths of Category 5e cable to perform at, or near, Gigabit Ethernet (1000BASE-T) speeds.

Category 6

The mainstream adoption of Gigabit Ethernet (1000BASE-T) required new industry-standard cables capable of transmitting at a higher frequency of 250 MHz. Category 6 cable uses thicker-gauge wire, increased shielding, and more pair twists per inch to reduce signal noise and interference. The tighter specifications guarantee that 100-meter runs of Category 6 are capable of 1000 Mbit/s transfer speeds. 10-Gigabit Ethernet speeds are achievable when reducing cable lengths to less than 50 meters.

Category 6e

Category 6 Enhanced (6e) is an augmented specification designed to double transmission frequency to 500 MHz. By wrapping Category 6e in grounded foil shielding, full 10-Gigabit Ethernet speeds can be reached without sacrificing the max cable length of 100 meters.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    You can buy all sorts of lengths, small 1, 2 m, or long up to 100m (max)
    PJ before you begin trying to drag a great long ethernet cable through several ceiling spaces -has anyone tried a wifi repeater? Possibly one could be plugged in along the passage between you and the wifi transmitter? There are some that plug into a standard 3pin socket. Maybe some local PC company could be persuaded to run a trial on the understanding that if it works someone will purchase the device?
    Either go where you're looking or look where you're going!

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

A patch cable is made from braided conductors, to give physical flexibility.
    Hard to imagine the building management allowing you to get just anyone
    to pull cable through the ceiling space.
    Perhaps you could look at Ethernet over Power adapters like this for example:
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NET...s-AV500-Nano-P

I use these to get network into my spare room workshop.
    FTW