Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Noobish Pirate hueybot3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    At Sea
    Posts
    2,985

    Default Super Budget Gaming Build

    My little sister is after a computer that can run GTA 5 (among other things but this is the most demanding of the games she wants to play) but has a very limited budget. Say $400 max.
    She has just started her first job since being on school holidays and is saving for a car (hasn't got her license yet though!) so any money spent on the pc comes out of the car budget and I'd much rather see the money spent on a better car.

    This means secondhand parts. Looking on trademe I've specced out the following build based on what is available on a regular basis...
    i7 2600 (cpu, generic mobo & 8GB ram combo) ~$150
    GTX 1050 ~$200
    Case ~$10
    Branded 400W PSU ~ $40

    Total $400.

    We will pick up a 1080p monitor, mouse & keyboard seperately.
    I have a couple of hard drives she can use for storage but it would be great to squeeze in a boot SSD.

    Does anyone have suggestions for improvement? I'd like to have a better upgrade path for her but I can't see any budget friendly options.

  2. #2
    Senior Member piroska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    With Kim-Jong-Mum
    Posts
    2,058

    Default Re: Super Budget Gaming Build

    Quote Originally Posted by hueybot3000 View Post
    This means secondhand parts. Looking on trademe I've specced out the following build based on what is available on a regular basis...
    i7 2600 (cpu, generic mobo & 8GB ram combo) ~$150
    GTX 1050 ~$200
    Case ~$10
    Branded 400W PSU ~ $40

    Total $400.
    Check Toms:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rchy,4388.html

    Shows the rankings, ATi - Nvidia. getting last years (or year befores) higher end card is a sensible way to go when on a budget.
    Try forum sales too, GPForums for instance, can be cheaper than trademe.

  3. #3
    amateur expert dugimodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,889

    Default Re: Super Budget Gaming Build

    Did you forget the OS in the budget or you have one?
    And I have my doubts as to the wisdom of a $40 PSU, saves money now but it could die on you later

    One way to get a cheap gaming PC that is popular overseas is to buy an ex-lease business class PC and put a low profile 1050 or 1050ti in it. You just have to make sure you get one with a PCI-E expansion slot.
    Still hard to get under $400 though, especially as most of the cheaper ones only have 4gb of RAM but it does include the OS

    Here's an example https://hungrypc.co.nz/product/epic-...-win-7-10-pro/ but upgrading to 8gb RAM makes it $275 and you'd have to check if it has room for a graphics card. I found that supplier pretty good to deal with but only used them once.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

  4. #4
    Noobish Pirate hueybot3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    At Sea
    Posts
    2,985

    Default Re: Super Budget Gaming Build

    Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Check Toms:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rchy,4388.html

    Shows the rankings, ATi - Nvidia. getting last years (or year befores) higher end card is a sensible way to go when on a budget.
    Try forum sales too, GPForums for instance, can be cheaper than trademe.
    Thanks that's a handy page. Saves me a bunch of time.

    Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Did you forget the OS in the budget or you have one?
    And I have my doubts as to the wisdom of a $40 PSU, saves money now but it could die on you later

    One way to get a cheap gaming PC that is popular overseas is to buy an ex-lease business class PC and put a low profile 1050 or 1050ti in it. You just have to make sure you get one with a PCI-E expansion slot.
    Still hard to get under $400 though, especially as most of the cheaper ones only have 4gb of RAM but it does include the OS

    Here's an example https://hungrypc.co.nz/product/epic-...-win-7-10-pro/ but upgrading to 8gb RAM makes it $275 and you'd have to check if it has room for a graphics card. I found that supplier pretty good to deal with but only used them once.
    I buy windows from one of the "grey" sources. Otherwise I have a Windows 7 key here that will do the job for what she wants.
    The $40 PSU was based on a second hand good brand PSU. If it's only a few years old then it should have plenty of life left in it.

    The complete pc idea is a good one however I think I'll have trouble getting one with a case that will fit a full height PCI as most seem to be the low profile ones. I'll have a good look though.

    Another thought is that a business class pc might only have a PSU rated for the hardware installed in it
    Last edited by hueybot3000; 02-01-2018 at 11:06 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    954

    Default Re: Super Budget Gaming Build

    Some of those business desktops have the graphics hardware locked up and WILL not let you use any non approved graphics card

    Try facebook marketplace for a local prebuilt used pc.
    NZ Digital TV Forum, Freeview NZ , etc
    http://www.nzdtv.com/

  6. #6
    amateur expert dugimodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,889

    Default Re: Super Budget Gaming Build

    I mentioned a low profile 1050 or 1050ti specifically as they have low power requirements and will fit in a low profile case, however I should mention that it makes an ok gaming machine with no upgrade path and a PSU that's nearing it's limits.
    Nevertheless people do do it successfully and if you google the specific model you are looking at with the added phrases "graphics upgrade" or "gaming" you often find out quickly what others have done with that PC.
    It's also possible to find full tower ex-lease PCs, they are just less common.

    Not the only option, but one I thought worth mentioning. Not something I'd do either. My idea of a "Budget" gaming PC is a 1060, 8GB of RAM, and an i5 8400, you won't get that for $400
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

  7. #7
    Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    17,146

    Default Re: Super Budget Gaming Build

    I'd go for the low-profile 1050Ti and get a refurbished PC from somewhere like PBTech.

    Just make sure the case will take the larger PSU, often times they have screwy connectors, weird physical sizes etc that prevent that kind of thing.

    I'm with Dugimodo though, getting a 1060 is a nice leap over and above the 1050 / 1050Ti.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

    Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

  8. #8
    Helper < Helped DeSade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Earthquake HQ
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: Super Budget Gaming Build

    Quote Originally Posted by hueybot3000 View Post
    My little sister is after a computer that can run GTA 5 (among other things but this is the most demanding of the games she wants to play) but has a very limited budget. Say $400 max.
    She has just started her first job since being on school holidays and is saving for a car (hasn't got her license yet though!) so any money spent on the pc comes out of the car budget and I'd much rather see the money spent on a better car.

    This means secondhand parts. Looking on trademe I've specced out the following build based on what is available on a regular basis...
    i7 2600 (cpu, generic mobo & 8GB ram combo) ~$150
    GTX 1050 ~$200
    Case ~$10
    Branded 400W PSU ~ $40

    Total $400.

    We will pick up a 1080p monitor, mouse & keyboard seperately.
    I have a couple of hard drives she can use for storage but it would be great to squeeze in a boot SSD.

    Does anyone have suggestions for improvement? I'd like to have a better upgrade path for her but I can't see any budget friendly options.
    I got a spare 80GB SSD you can have.
    The Internet moves in mysterious ways.

  9. #9
    Noobish Pirate hueybot3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    At Sea
    Posts
    2,985

    Default Re: Super Budget Gaming Build

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSade View Post
    I got a spare 80GB SSD you can have.
    Cheers that's very generous of you. She got her license last week so I think she's car hunting. I'll post back here if she finds budget for pc and see if it's still around.

  10. #10
    Helper < Helped DeSade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Earthquake HQ
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: Super Budget Gaming Build

    Quote Originally Posted by hueybot3000 View Post
    Cheers that's very generous of you. She got her license last week so I think she's car hunting. I'll post back here if she finds budget for pc and see if it's still around.
    Sweet as
    You know where I am
    The Internet moves in mysterious ways.

Similar Threads

  1. Budget racing PC gaming build (Not the actual PC)
    By darkoverlord123 in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-06-2014, 10:15 PM
  2. Budget Gaming
    By darkoverlord123 in forum PressF1
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 29-04-2013, 05:24 PM
  3. New Budget Build?
    By LynX in forum PressF1
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 27-10-2010, 03:01 PM
  4. My new budget gaming rig
    By smithinator in forum PressF1
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 07:56 PM
  5. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 19-04-2006, 05:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •