Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Default Re: Win10 Is a nmassive piece of s***

Quote Originally Posted by KarameaDave View Post
    Not me, matey all good here.
    Never an issue.
    I know its not you, but those who change after using Windows for years have problems and I reckon if anyone went from only ever using Linux to Windows it would be the same. Really both have their issues and I found one is not better than the other they just have different issues.

Is Linux the OS that has about 1% of the market share and needs a guru to be able to run it, and find any software to run on it?
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

The fact that there are no major bugs reported in the media, and the fact that MS only puts out updates every 6 months or so proves to me that W10 is a very good OS.
    I have been using it since just after it came out.

Can I recommend, once again, that all users of XP and 7, upgrade as soon as they can afford, and if they have a relatively modern system, because the sooner they learn how to use it, they, and the rest of us will all be better off.
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Is Linux the OS that has about 1% of the market share and needs a guru to be able to run it, and find any software to run on it?
    Well I canít vouch for all the Linux Distroís, but I can assure you that if your IQ exceeds your Shoe Size youíll be fine with Mint.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Behind the times you really are.
    Android is Linux 2 Billion users
    Server market share 70 to 98.3% depending who is measuring
    Supercomputers in the top 500... 100%
    'The TOP500 project lists and ranks the 500 fastest supercomputers for which benchmark results are submitted, and by November 2017 they all use Linux. It publishes the collected data twice a year.'

Makes Windows look pathetic with merely 1.4 Billion
    barely beating Apple Inc with 1 Billion.

Much more here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_...rating_systems

You really need to educate yourself before spouting rubbish Digby
    Last edited by KarameaDave; 19-12-2017 at 06:39 PM.
    FTW

Android may be based on Linux but I don't think you can really call it Linux, and that market share is all tablets and smartphones. On the desktop and Laptop market Linux has a massive 3.37% share.

But yes, even as someone who would argue that Linux is not up to windows standard as a mainstream desktop OS for the masses I will still agree that it's easy to install and run and find software for for anyone with basic PC skills. If you can install windows you can install Linux. Modern distros have tools to help find and install software and a large library of free software.

I installed Fedora on an old PC and gave it to a friend to use as a youtube / media player on Her TV. She's never seen Linux before and is not great with PCs and yet she can Click that Chrome Icon and browse the web like a pro... Also Fedora is one of the least windows like versions of Linux around and I have not been getting the expected phone calls asking how to use it.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Android may be based on Linux but I don't think you can really call it Linux.
    Really? So take the Linux kernel away from Android and you would have?
    Doodlysquat that's what. Your argument is specious.
    FTW

Ok sure it's Linux, but we all know when most people talk about Linux and it's market share they are not talking about android tablets and smartphones they are talking about desktop versions of Linux with a mouse and keyboard GUI interface.
    Hell Mac OS and Linux are both based on Unix, I guess we should lump them together as well if we are ignoring the whole front end yeah? That might give them an actual double digit share of the desktop market.

Also take the android front end away from the linux kernel and what would you have? not something anyone would want to use. Android is Linux + a custom GUI and touchscreen interface. You might as well call every version of windows prior to XP DOS if you are going to ignore the front end. If we want to get picky about it we should break the market down to individual distrubutions as they are all different, I would argue that an OS is much more than just a kernel.

Incidentally there are a few attempts at a desktop version of Android around and they show some promise, and I guess Chrome OS is basically that as well although a bit less functional. Windows may eventually lose out to Linux in all it's variants, but on the desktop it has a long way to go still. I have 2 linux boxes and a VM with Linux on it and I find them pretty useful but still not enough to take me away from windows yet. Games is the killer for me, even SteamOS that looked like it might change that appears to be in the process of slowly fading away to nothing.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

the fact that MS only puts out updates every 6 months or so proves to me that W10 is a very good OS.
    LOL! Seriously? You base quality on frequency of updates?

I've never been a fan of that. Look at every windows there has been, each time the new one comes along, the story is it is so secure, you're so safe, blah blah.
    Then the updates start, this of course, is to keep you safe and block all the nasty security holes in the brand new O/S.

You'd think they'd have figured it out by now....

PLus, anti-malware companies continue to thrive, techs continue to clean up infected PCs. Shows that doesn't work, huh.
    I'd seen it myself, fully up to date and patched PCs crawling with it.

Mine on the other hand....hmmm. Might have more to do with common sense and not clicking on stuff I guess.

As to market share, and? Who cares.

I think I said this already: It's a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Ok sure it's Linux, but we all know when most people talk about Linux and it's market share they are not talking about android tablets and smartphones they are talking about desktop versions of Linux with a mouse and keyboard GUI interface.
    Hell Mac OS and Linux are both based on Unix, I guess we should lump them together as well if we are ignoring the whole front end yeah? That might give them an actual double digit share of the desktop market.

Also take the android front end away from the linux kernel and what would you have? not something anyone would want to use. Android is Linux + a custom GUI and touchscreen interface. You might as well call every version of windows prior to XP DOS if you are going to ignore the front end. If we want to get picky about it we should break the market down to individual distrubutions as they are all different, I would argue that an OS is much more than just a kernel.

Incidentally there are a few attempts at a desktop version of Android around and they show some promise, and I guess Chrome OS is basically that as well although a bit less functional. Windows may eventually lose out to Linux in all it's variants, but on the desktop it has a long way to go still. I have 2 linux boxes and a VM with Linux on it and I find them pretty useful but still not enough to take me away from windows yet. Games is the killer for me, even SteamOS that looked like it might change that appears to be in the process of slowly fading away to nothing.
    Just keep digging Dugi
    Nothing you have posted here changes the facts.
    FTW